Old Faithful Holster -- Setting t-nuts

This is a discussion on Old Faithful Holster -- Setting t-nuts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently acquired an Old Faithful holster, but I've run into a dead end. No matter what I do I can't get the t-nuts properly ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By a333
  • 1 Post By rednichols
  • 1 Post By Enzo411
  • 1 Post By StripesDude
  • 1 Post By SHTFGearLLC

Thread: Old Faithful Holster -- Setting t-nuts

Old Faithful Holster -- Setting t-nuts

I recently acquired an Old Faithful holster, but I've run into a dead end. No matter what I do I can't get the t-nuts properly set into the leather. I've followed the video instructions, keeping the extra piece of leather underneath and hitting it as hard as I can with a hammer, but it's just not happening. I've even tried pushing them down under the weight of my bed frame and still nothing. The t-nuts will embed only about halfway and fall out easily -- it's like playing whack-a-mole, I get one in and as soon as I try hammering in another one, the first one pops out.

Does anyone else have experience with this problem? The leather around the holes is perforated now from the spikes and I'm starting to worry that it will be impossible to get them to stick even if I do figure out how to get them in all the way.
    DJC7 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Get a steel hex nut, large enough to match the diameter of the teenut (not the barrel of the teenut; the flange itself). Put the nut on the concrete floor of your garage, put the holster over the nut with the teenut inserted into the leather so that the barrel of it can come through into the hole in the steel nut. Hit the back of the teenut with a steel hammer, hard. The teenut barbs, if you haven't bent them sideways already, will pierce the leather and bend over against the hex nut. If indeed you already have bent the teenut barbs over to one side, use a pair of pliers to straighten them before using the steel hex nut method.
    DJC7 likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    Holster designer-maker since 1958

An invention is an accident that has been waiting to happen.

I've bought all four of my Old Faithful holsters already assembled but if you did bend or break a piece call Old Fsithful and I'm sure they'll send you replacements. IMO, a great company.
    DJC7 likes this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I ran into the same issue but they accidentally sent me a second holster fully assembled (they let me keep it ) so i haven't assembled the other one. I've been avoiding it because it was so frustrating. lol I like Red's tip, though. I'll have to give that a try.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I had the same problem, but when I put the screws in, the torque I put on the screws seated the t nuts pretty well.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I had the same problem, but when I put the screws in, the torque I put on the screws seated the t nuts pretty well.
    That is how I seat barbed T-nuts, and have never had a problem.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I too had some difficulty setting the t-nuts. But once I put on the screws and tightened them down the t-nuts sank into the leather. Never had a problem after. Just make sure you put a little loctite on the screws to keep them from backing out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    I too had some difficulty setting the t-nuts. But once I put on the screws and tightened them down the t-nuts sank into the leather. Never had a problem after. Just make sure you put a little loctite on the screws to keep them from backing out.
    But make sure you have it set exactly as you want it before applying the loctite.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Sponsor
    That is a common problem with T-nuts on hybrid holsters. Some leather is dense enough that it is almost impossible to set a T-nut without bending the prongs. That is why we didn't use them for the first 2 years of operation. We started using them when we built the equipment to cut the T-nut slits for all of the holes. This allows for adjustment without any tools in just a few seconds, and also ensures that the leather doesn't get damaged around the hole.
    uploadfromtaptalk1397573457350.jpg

-Clay
    molleur likes this.
    The Most Advanced Hybrid Holsters- Custom Formed for over 200 guns! 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, Lifetime Warranty
    www.shtfgear.com

www.facebook.com/shtf.gear

Glock 42 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-GLOCK-42
    XDs 4.0 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-SPR-XDS-4

Distinguished Member
    I prefer stitched leather holsters. No Chicago screws or tee-nuts for me!
    Just old school preference here.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Use the screws and clips to pull them in. The T nuts are designed for wood, which is tough and not too flexible. The leather is flexible and wants to bounce back unless you apply constant pressure. Trying to set both and then put the clips on is most likely and excursus in frustration. I seat mine by hand and finish with the screw and clip. One at a time.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Chicago screws replaced all the t nuts. No hammering no fuss and on the clips I dont have to install all of the t nuts when making ride/cant adjustments just move them from hole to hole.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Links