Holster with room for a light

This is a discussion on Holster with room for a light within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello I carry a springfield XD-9 Subcompact and for christmas I got an X2L. I prefer to carry IWB but I am open to different ...

Hello

I carry a springfield XD-9 Subcompact and for christmas I got an X2L. I prefer to carry IWB but I am open to different options I was wondering if anyone knows of any holster options for an XD-9SC with a light/laser attachment.

-Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Lead Moderator
    I know of only tac leg rigs and molle attachment holsters. I think the light is too bulky to easily conceal, even on a compact model gun and light.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Go to Don Hume's website. They make a nice OTB holster for a pistol with light attached. Blade-Tec also does but its not as concealable as the Don Hume.

Back to my cage.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    +1 on Don Hume and if you want a custom rig, C Rusty Sherrick is the man to go to but right now I think he only does them for 1911s.

In talking with a few custom holster makers, I have found that they will NOT, for the most part, make holsters w/ provisions for laser/lights attachments. Why? In order to accomodate the laser/light attachments, the trigger guard is virtually eliminated in order to allow the laser/light to slip into the holster. This opens up the probability of AD while holstering and/or drawing your gun as the trigger is exposed and not secured by a trigger guard. Your clothing could snag on the trigger or even your finger for that matter. Hence, due to liability issues, most custom holster makers will not touch this. Needless to say, there are other mass producing holster manufacturers who do provide such holsters.
    Hope this helps...

The reasons we won't make a holster for a light mounted gun hasn't anything to do with liability, but everything to do with function, aesthetics and the real world practicality of a civilians need to have a light fastened to their concealment gun, 24/7. As a maker that likes to focus more on solving problems of need rather than want, I am just not convinced that concealment holsters for light mounted guns is a problem that needs to be solved.

Not to insinuate that railed guns with mounted lights aren't usefull. I have a Springfield, full rail Operator with Streamlight M6 attached, that sits on my nightstand everynight. That is where the pre-mounted light serves it's most useful purpose, IMO. Mounted lights add weight and bulk to your already heavy, bulky, bullet launching platform, whichever brand you choose that to be. If one's going to be concealing it on their person everyday, that may be something worth considering. There are much better alternatives if you feel you may need to have a light handy at moments notice.
    Second Best is not an option

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Thunderwear will do it if you give them the dimmensions.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I have made a paddle holster version for pistols with mounted lights, but the requests are few and far between. The one I designed incorporates a thumb-break over the top, and another finger-break strap that went around and completely covers the trigger-guard. The bottom rear of the holster is completely opened, and the light is completely exposed. The reason I designed it like this is so the holster will fit the particular make/model of pistol with any make/model of light attached. And I believe this is the reason many custom makers don't offer a holster for light-mounted pistols: it's hard enough keeping up with all the different and new firearms on the market, let alone having one of each different light that is currently available. And no-one is making mold replicas of the lights, so at a few hundred bucks a pop to compress in a hydraulic mold-press under a few tons of pressure that gets rather pricey.
    The other reason is, as others pointed out, for CCW it is difficult to conceal. Most of these lights are wider than the firearm that they fit on, and they are attaching to an area that would normally be a void and not a concealment concern. On a typical 15 degree cant 1911 holster that conceals beautifully, the same angle with a light mounted 1911 will make the light-bezel print dramatically under your concealing garment near your rear pocket. Not to mention a longer and looser covering garment is needed, since most of these lights are wider than the pistol and longer; that is they protrude past the muzzle adding length.
    And, as Tony stated, light-mounted firearms do have their place and I'm actually a big proponent of them. I carry a Sig P220 with Surefire light mounted on duty working steady graveyards and wouldn't be without it, and my personal long-guns all have Surefire lights attached. (And I won't even mention what my bed-side gun is! :-) ). But I think the mounted pistols are just too bulky for everyday concealment. You're better served by a small yet powerful Surefire E2 in your pocket and the training on how to properly use it in conjunction with your handgun.
    Last edited by Mark Garrity; January 3rd, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Thanks for the reply! My XD-9 doubles as my bedside gun and my CC weapon so I suppose when I go to bed at night it will just be another part of my routine to unholster the XD and attach my new light to it.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

At times I carry a weapon light on one of my guns and I have found that for this application kydex seems to be a better fit (no pun intended) I know Bade-tech makes some for the XD, but I am not sure if its for that light combo. Custom kydex makers will do it if no one else will though.

Links