CCW a six incher?

CCW a six incher?

This is a discussion on CCW a six incher? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Say someone purchased a six inch, half-lug GP-100 .357. Say, initially, this person had no intention of using it for CCW. Then say this person ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW a six incher?

CCW a six incher?

Say someone purchased a six inch, half-lug GP-100 .357.

Say, initially, this person had no intention of using it for CCW.

Then say this person has found it to be an excellent weapon and may change his mind about CCWing the gun.

How would he go about it?

What kind of holster? Cover garment etc.

Please note: this hypothetical person has no interest in having the barrel shortened.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Backpack or wheeled suitcase.

Seriously, I have carried my 5-inch 629 around the house in a shoulder holster, but the weight will get to me after a few hours.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Tucker Gunleather - Revolver Texas Heritage IWB Holsters
    Mernickle Holsters - Double Action Systems

Is this hypothetical person from the movie "Johhy Dangerously". ;)
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    When I carry my Peacemaker I just put on my gunbelt. It conceals great under a duster or a trench coat
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I really think that the weight is gonna be what gets you with that Ruger. There are pancake style holsters made for them, and a large jacket would conceal one, but you're gonna get tired lugggin' that thing around.

would be a shoulder holster if i was gonna carry it but as gary said weight is gonna be a big downside

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think it can be done, and with more than a mere modicum of comfort- under certain conditions.

Some shoulder holsters would work, but you would need larger, looser cover garments (oversized sweatshirts, pullover sweaters, etc.)

It would also help if he was on the tallish side, too.

Of course, if your hypothetical friend was female, maternity clothes and a belly band (with the the bottom opened up) seem to be a viable option.........

I hope your "friend" finds a solution that makes him happy!

With a usual CCW, there is a tradeoff between speed of presentation and concealment. In other words, the more deeply concealed something is, the slower presentation tends to be. And vice versa--speedier presentations require less deep concealment.

With the revolver you describe, you've got the worst of both worlds: something harder to conceal and harder to quickly present. If shortening the barrel were really not an option, and buying another gun were not an option, I'd seriously consider a trade.

Administrator
    It can be done, a good gun belt is the key here. As other have said, the weight is going to be the big issue.

I'd start shopping for a SP101 if I were that certain person.

VIP Member
    I carried my 6" 686+ once, in a belt holster (OWB of course, unless I wanted to walk around like Peg-leg the Pirate) under a suede blazer. You couldn't tell I was carrying it. With a good belt to distribute the weight, it wasn't much of a problem - but it also wasn't something I wanted to do on a regular basis. Sitting down without a clunk is another matter.

When you sit, make like you're trying not to sit on your blazer and grab the end of your holster. As you're sitting, situate the holster down the side of your leg instead of letting it fall straight down by the side of the chair, which will end up poking right under your blazer for everyone to see.

The downside is with a longer barrel gun, the more steel - and split seconds - you have to unholster. A front break holster would help eliminate that problem.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator
    A vertical shoulder holster would work.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Say someone purchased a six inch, half-lug GP-100 .357.

Say, initially, this person had no intention of using it for CCW.

Then say this person has found it to be an excellent weapon and may change his mind about CCWing the gun.

How would he go about it?

What kind of holster? Cover garment etc.

Please note: this hypothetical person has no interest in having the barrel shortened.
    That things heavy! I say hire someone to carry it for you...

All right, you guys figured it out.

It's my gun.

I have other guns that I CCW (not at the same time), a SIG P220 and an S&W 25-13 .45C MTG. So a shorter handier gun is available. It is just that this GP is sooooo sweet I want it to be more than a range-time blaster.

Thanks for all the responses,

Warren

big and heavy. before the day is out the gun will end up in the car and not on your body. or the gun be stay at home. in both cases it is not good.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links