A Very Unique Custom Holster Request and a Plea for HELP! - Page 2

A Very Unique Custom Holster Request and a Plea for HELP!

This is a discussion on A Very Unique Custom Holster Request and a Plea for HELP! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I might be missing something here, but is it that the tac lite extends past the end of the barrell? Couldn't you get a different ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Very Unique Custom Holster Request and a Plea for HELP!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I might be missing something here, but is it that the tac lite extends past the end of the barrell? Couldn't you get a different tac lite for the gun that'll fit a pre-existing shoulder holster?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

jlstorm, rather than mail, I'd suggest you give Comp-Tac a call at 281-209-3040. Ask for J.B. or Greg, I think those are the guys who can help you.

I had them do some custom work for a Kydex IWB holster and they were very reasonable and got me what I needed.

Plus, if they can help you, I'd guess lead time would be in the several weeks range rather than months.

Call, don't mail!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I already have it figured out and through this post found a few holster makers that can do the job...this is not a "fantasy" holster...I already use one in a belt configuration. I appreciate the input, but if I have found a setup that works for me...why would I change it??

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    jlstorm, you are asking for a fantasy holster, you are better off carrying the light etc. in another pouch. In case any one doubts me this is the combo that jsstorm wants to use with a holster. If you do find someone to make this holster will it be on the belt or inside the waistband? Regards, Richard

If you look at the other photo I posted you will see the standard production holster that blade-tech makes for this setup...

I have a USP full size 45 with a StreamLight gunlight hung on the rail. it is NOT a "quick ON/OFF rig! I had to get a special adaptor to make the light fit and it is virtually locked onto that rail. It's my dedicated home defense gun nowadays and usually sleeps under my pillow at night. If I were set on carrying it CCW, I'd use a Blade-Tech rig strongside hip.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by jlstorm View Post
    If you look at the other photo I posted you will see the standard production holster that blade-tech makes for this setup...
    I am sorry but if I am going to carry a handgun I want it to be reliable, lightweight, compact, accurate, and comfortable to carry. I can see using a handgun with a light as a backpacking/ camp gun but not for everyday use. I also have to confess that H&K pistols have never tickled my fancy. Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    I am sorry but if I am going to carry a handgun I want it to be reliable, lightweight, compact, accurate, and comfortable to carry. I can see using a handgun with a light as a backpacking/ camp gun but not for everyday use. I also have to confess that H&K pistols have never tickled my fancy. Regards, Richard
    Im not sure exactly what part of my post(s) made you think that I was requesting your preference of pistol...but I assure what type of pistol you like has no bearing on my search for a holster. So unless you have something useful to post that has something to do with my question and related to what I have written, please stop inserting your opinions.

Im not sure exactly what part of my post(s) made you think that I was requesting your preference of pistol...but I assure what type of pistol you like has no bearing on my search for a holster. So unless you have something useful to post that has something to do with my question and related to what I have written, please stop inserting your opinions.
    I realize that an unsolicited opinion was offered here (which was probably just a tad bit inappropriate), but your response is absolutely NOT the kind of thing we are looking for on CC. Please tone it down a bit and try to be a bit more civil. Thank you.

Many folks with long term CCW experience may try to help you by steering you in another direction because based upon their experience, they might feel that what you are trying to do will not give you optimal results. (And many of these guys have been carrying a gun longer than you've been alive). They are just trying to share some experience in an effort to help you. That's the whole idea behind a forum - the exchange of ideas and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    I realize that an unsolicited opinion was offered here (which was probably just a tad bit inappropriate), but your response is absolutely NOT the kind of thing we are looking for on CC. Please tone it down a bit and try to be a bit more civil. Thank you.

Many folks with long term CCW experience may try to help you by steering you in another direction because based upon their experience, they might feel that what you are trying to do will not give you optimal results. (And many of these guys have been carrying a gun longer than you've been alive). They are just trying to share some experience in an effort to help you. That's the whole idea behind a forum - the exchange of ideas and information.
    Understood, and I appologize, but derailing a thread with personal opinions that have no bearing on the topic is in no way helpful a new thread could be started or a PM could be sent. Derailed threads in forums are what keeps questions from getting answered and takes the meaning of the initial post out of the equation...I do not find this helpful, nor do most thread originators who want an answer to a question and find their thread destroyed by posts like this. If I wanted opinons on which gun I should carry I would have asked, I dont know how I could possibly be more clear.

Understood, and I appologize, but derailing a thread with personal opinions that have no bearing on the topic is in no way helpful a new thread could be started or a PM could be sent. Derailed threads in forums are what keeps questions from getting answered and takes the meaning of the initial post out of the equation...I do not find this helpful, nor do most thread originators who want an answer to a question and find their thread destroyed by posts like this. If I wanted opinons on which gun I should carry I would have asked, I dont know how I could possibly be more clear.
    I understand your position, but the minor comments made by Richardoldfield were a long way from "destroying a thread."

My remarks (as well as those made by a few others) to you have been intended to give you the subtle hint that what you are trying to do is impractical at best, and at worst might get you killed.

If you don't want input from people who care, don't ask here. CC is the "cream of the crop" as far as gun related forums, as are our members. They are the most knowledgeable and experienced, yet humble and well behaved as any I've ever encountered on the 'Net, and they are trying to HELP you.

My other concern (which is why I have added my personal thoughts) is that people who are absolutely brand new to CCW come here sincerely looking for education and advice. This is a life and death endeavour and it is a disservice to them to treat your "fantasy holster" too seriously. Folks who have no training/experience might attempt to emulate this approach (after missinterpeting attempts at being polite to you as being approval of the ideas you espouse) and get hurt in the process.

So, for the record, this is a bad idea. However, please feel free to continue to discuss it POLITELY.

I fail to see how having a lasersight on a pistol is a bad idea in certain circumstance, as long as it doesnt catch on the holster while drawing which it doesnt with kydex (I know from experience). Before people start on the no lasersight bandwagon I will tell you why I like them:

• they are wonderful training tools (no not primary aiming devices)
    • I truely believe they help dissuade a threat when he/she has a visual queue of the bullet path.
    • I have been in a situation where my hands have shaken more than I felt comfortable out of adrenaline and fear, a laser helps me get a very quick visual on bullet path. Can I train and work with the adrenaline, yes, do I have the facilities...not to often, so the laser is a great fall back
    • Can the light come in handy...sure I have both a laser for carry or home defense, as well as a backup light for home defense all on the same gun.

So I have a light or a sight on the gun...if I dont use it who cares..if I use it, Im glad it was there...where does the problem come into play? The only problem with having any attachment on a weapon is IMO is having it catch while drawing. If someone puts lasergrips on a weapon no one seems to have a problem with that. Unfortunately the gun I have trained with extensively and is accepted at every training school and company I work with because of its proven background cannot use lasergrips, and I am left handed so the safety gets in the way, no I do not want to switch to another gun I found a setup that works for me. This weapon is my carry weapon at times and my home defense weapon..however since I am ont the road 90% of the time it often serves as both, however again, I would rather have what I need already on there than worry about attaching and detaching all the time, plus I always know where my tools are when they are attached on one platform. This is the setup I have chosen and so far not a single person has made any sort of statements as to why its a bad idea, simply that its abad idea, and has made fun of me for my decisions but have offered no helpful advice. I dont intend to clear houses, and I dont intend to use this light as a primary flashlight, as I am in the boat that your light should not have to shine in the direction of your gun, which is why I carry a maglight with me..as I have posted in other threads, its an ok light and I wont cry if I leave it in a hotel room and have to get another (I lost a surefire light and will not pay that much again).

So please, tell me why my fantasy holster, which I already use in a different form is so dangerous and asking for so much? From what I can tell its more an elitest element than helpful advice I have gotten from a few people as well as holster makers on this thread, not to mention I have gotten 3 offers to make a holster, 2 out of kydex which has a proven personal track record, so really the reason for this thread has expired. I asked for help and all you can do is rag on me about it without offering any useful advice. It just simply sounds like you don't agree with me but refuse to agree to disagree.

Because gunfights are fast, viscious and are over really fast. By the time you get that behemoth out of the holster and on target, your opponent will have most likely already shot you full of holes.
    Furthermore, unless you walk around dressed up in a duster or an overcoat, that thing is not going to conceal properly. And of course, there is the weight issue. You CAN walk around for 16 hours with that rig on, but it will not be practical or comfortable to do so.
    I'm gonna end my participation in this discussion by saying this: If you want to do this, and it works for you, then knock yourself out. However, I would strongly recommend AGAINST such an approach. My primary concern at this point is for the newbies who might be reading this: "Please don't try this at home".

I appreciate your response, it was informative thank you. I guess a lot of it has to do with body type, the laser weights 4.7 ounces including batteries and is long so the weight is pretty equally distributed along the fron 1/2 of the weapon, so the weight really is nothing considering the HK with loaded a 12 round 45acp mag is a very hefty gun. As far as carrying it, I have a 5'10" 220lbs frame and can hide most things in a shoulder holster configuration with just a button down shirt. I have to tell you though, when dealing with a gun this heavy..I really dont notice the extra 4.7 ounces, I think if anyone decides to carry a full size HK (or sig for that matter) they are (hopefully) prepared for the weight. I carry a gun all day unless Im sleeping and with a good holster belt or good shoulder rig I can almost forget its there, without a good rig though forget it...when I feel the gun on my bedside table I do often wonder how I carry it, but when its on suddenly it doesnt feel very heavy. I practice drawing all the time, both while trainin...and often simply while at home just to get some more time in and again, for me it all comes down to practice and a great holster rig designed specifically for the setup I am using more so than the weight or shape of the gun, being a holster maker Im sure you can identify with this concept.

Just beacuse you don't like what some one said you don't have to have a attiude with them

Someone pm'ed me about this post so i took a look

you might as well Listen to Gary what you want done exisit and no one is going to make it or else you wouldn't be asking this thread

Face it the HK usp is not a widely supported platform as a plain jane pistol

so if you want to carry with a light your either going to have to pack it on the hip or lose the light

Administrator

Post Correction

"and has made fun of me for my decisions but have offered no helpful advice."

Nobody has made fun of you in this thread.

Gary Brommeland is one of the top holster makers and designers - (not only in the United States) ~ but in the world.
    That is not an exaggeration or a stretch of the truth.
    Of the top ten (or so) holster makers on the planet he is at the top or quite near the very top of that short list.

I read this entire thread again word for word and Gary has made a few strong suggestions to you.
    Those suggestions were respectfully made and he is overly qualified to make those polite suggestions.

Every Federal & State agency in the U.S. has some representative agents that carry in Brommeland Custom Gun-leather. They have done so for years.

I think that speaks volumes for his qualifications, his "real world" tested holster designs, and his opinion.

He has politely stated that in his opinion your intended holster design is not in your best workable interest no matter if you realize yet or not.

Since we get so many new members and newbie to self~defensive people here every week Gary is justifiably concerned that some of them might try to emulate your proposed design to their extreme disadvantage in being able to present their defensive firearm in time to save their bacon in a potentially life threatening scenario.

After carefully reading the thread again I believe that has been his primary and selfless concern and motivation for making the comments that he has made previously in this thread concerning your proposed project.

I don't want you think that the Combat Carry moderators are "piling on" you but, I felt compelled to clear up the fact that nobody has made fun of you here and then I got slightly carried away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links