A Very Unique Custom Holster Request and a Plea for HELP!

A Very Unique Custom Holster Request and a Plea for HELP!

This is a discussion on A Very Unique Custom Holster Request and a Plea for HELP! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have emailed or called almost every custom holster maker I know of who I thought might be able to tackle this project including: Milt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation A Very Unique Custom Holster Request and a Plea for HELP!

I have emailed or called almost every custom holster maker I know of who I thought might be able to tackle this project including: Milt Sparks, Don Hume, Rusty Sherrick, Tucker, Kramer, Fist, H.B.E, Survival Sheath Systems, Red Block Holsters, Mitch Rosen, and Haugen . If anyone knows of someone who might be able to help me or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

Here is a copy of my email I have been sending out, so far no one has been able to do a shoulder holster, I have a few guys who can do a strong side belt holster, thats really not what I need. A copy of my detailed request is posted below.

Feel free to forward a copy of this email to anyone whom you think may be able to handle my request. I am not looking for anything cheap, and I won't complain about costs, I realize this is a custom request and will be priced as such.

******************COPY OF EMAIL**********************

To Whom It May Concern:

I work in the protection and investigation sector and need a shoulder holster or full shoulder rig for my HK USP with TLR-2 tac light setup. Your company's name was given to me via a shooting forum, when I asked about a holster company capable of producing a custom rig of this nature. The HK USP is a full size, left hand model (variant 2) with the safety on the right hand side of the weapon. The tac light is made by Streamlight and they are currently sending out molds by request for the light. I currently wear a Galco Miamia Classic II shoulder rig and would like a holster that could either be worn with that rig, or an entire new shoulder rig with a similar configuration. The HK USP has a non-standard rail and requires a GG&G adapter for most rail accessories including this one. I have an extra adapter which I would be willing to send in order to help you mold the holster to the correct measurements. Other than the adapter everything else is completely standard on the weapon and tac light. Currently Blade-Tech makes a standard belt holster for this setup, but no one I know of produces a shoulder rig that will work Does this sound like a request you are able to fulfill, and if not can you recommend someone else?

Here are links to photos of the actual gun and laser combo:
    HK USP with attached TLR-2 on GG&G adapter:
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1168024711

HK in Blade-Tech Kydex:
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1168024660

Here is a link to streamlight's website with info on the TLR-2, there customer service dept, can give details on measurements and available molds:
    http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=81

Please contact me as soon as possible via phone or email.

Regards,

Joshua C.

(Full name, email address, and phone omitted, please PM me for this information)

What are the responses that you are getting? The only thing I see is that the light extends down past the trigger guard, which would not allow for a snug fit around the trigger guard area. I am not a leather worker, but you have certainly emailed some of the best in the business and I would listen to what they tell you.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Howdy!

I received your email as well. I have not yet replied because I do not have an accurate estimate of what it will cost for me to build this rig for you.
    However, I can give you a quick thumbnail breakdown (this is only an estimate):

I'll need to aquire a light housing and mount and send it off to have the correct dummy gun made. Estimated cost : $100

Design the holster - which will require making at least one test holster first, possibly more than one. Estimated cost: Materials $50-100, plus a full days' labor (minumum - possibly 2-3 times that) : $300- $900

Build final rig: Material and a full day's labor: $350

Total: $800 -$1450

For this reason, I do not see that it would be a financially feasible project. It is further compounded by the fact that any of the guys who are capable of doing this have backlogs running 20 weeks to two years before it could be delivered.

If you find someone who has an existing design for a USP shoulder rig, they could most likely modify one for you for significantly less money than that - I'd guess around $400 - but Sam Andrews, Josh Bulman, Matt DelFatti and Lou Alessi are the only folks who come to mind for shoulder rigs, and all of them will have an extended wait time. Mark Garrity might be able to help you as well, but I do not honestly remember if he does shoulder rigs, either.

My advice would be to try to get something off the shelf, or lose the light and use a standard holster for the USP.

I am very sorry that I cannot help you. Folks don't generally realize what goes into designing a holster, but it is VERY time consuming.

May I suggest, based on the cost estimate from Gary, you lose the light. Carry a light on a belt holder. I have never quite understood everyone's fascination with flash lights but at that cost estimate I'd seek an alternative.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Administrator
    Tough Request.

The only thing I can think of without going the full blown custom designed rig would be to maybe modify a Bianchi type Vertical Spring Loaded clamshell to fit by cutting part of the lower end away. ??? Not sure if that would work though.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    What are the responses that you are getting? The only thing I see is that the light extends down past the trigger guard, which would not allow for a snug fit around the trigger guard area. I am not a leather worker, but you have certainly emailed some of the best in the business and I would listen to what they tell you.
    Most just tell me that they dont make holsters for this weapon in this configuration. Others say what you had said, that it isnt a snug fit, yet others say they make a holster for the taclight configuration for a belt holster only and yet others say they make a shoulder holster for a taclight but not for this weapon.

So its constantly different responses, for instance Don Hume does the shoulder holster with taclight but not for this configuration, Milt Sparks and Rosen dont do taclight holsters at all, Rusty Sherrick does a belt holster for this model, but not in a shoulder holster, and Haugen says they don't make taclight holsters at all because they are to
    loose.

I read Gary's response, and understand where he is coming from, but many of the responses I get are from people who make a holster for my model HK and taclight holsters, just not for my model HK. So the cost for someone who has the HK mold and a mold from streamlight for the TLR-2 (which many have) should be a bit less.
    Last edited by jlstorm; January 5th, 2007 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlstorm View Post
    Most just tell me that they dont make holsters for this weapon in this configuration. Others say what you had said, that it isnt a snug fit, yet others say they make a holster for the taclight configuration for a belt holster only and yet others say they make a shoulder holster for a taclight but not for this weapon.

So its constantly different responses, for instance Don Hume does the shoulder holster with taclight but not for this configuration, Milt Sparks and Rosen dont do taclight holsters at all, Rusty Sherrick does a belt holster for this model, but not in a shoulder holster, and Haugen says they don't make taclight holsters at all because they are to loose.
    The reason that you are getting such mixed respones is twofold:

First, each company focuses on a particular product line. For example, I tend to do IWB and OWB belt holsters for strong side applications with autopistols. What you are asking for is not something that I do often, so for me to aquire the proper hardware and dummy gun, it is going to be quite expensive because of the minimums that I have to meet in order to get what is needed.

Secondly, What you are asking for is extremely unusual. There is absolutely no profit motive for a company to offer something this, uh, unique. So, IF you do want it, you're gonna have to pay the R&D costs.

I gotta tell you that for the life of me, I cannot see an application for a light mounted handgun in protective work. Light mounted firearms are used for assault (ie tactical) work, CQB entries, stuff along those lines. You cannot possibly draw a light mounted firearm at arm's length in a reactive, defensive scenario, engage the light, find your target and shoot before the BG pokes you full of holes, and then smokes your Principal.
    Might I suggest a trip to Colorado and a course with ESI ? Here's their web address:http://www.esi-lifeforce.com/

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    May I suggest, based on the cost estimate from Gary, you lose the light. Carry a light on a belt holder. I have never quite understood everyone's fascination with flash lights but at that cost estimate I'd seek an alternative.
    I use it for work, and its a configuration I have found very usefull. I could lose it, but I would rather pay what I have to too keep it. Some consider it a fascination, some consider it an invaluable tool, I am part of the latter group. Although at Gary's price I would loose the light, however I am far from giving up.

jlstorm,
    I may be able to help you out. I have made my shoulder rigs for light-mounted firearms in the past, including full-size USPs.
    The two issues I would face are not having a GG&G rail, which would not be a problem if you could supply it. The other issue would be the left-handed safety. You didn't state (or at least i didn't catch) if it's a full-size 9/40 or 45. If it's a 9/40 i may have a local lefty customer and shooting buddy whose gun I could borrow.
    Like I said, I've done this before and have some pre-existing patterns. Price would be much lower than Gary is quoting
    Wait time may be longer however.
    Shoot me an e-mail at mark@garritysgunleather to discuss.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    The reason that you are getting such mixed respones is twofold:

First, each company focuses on a particular product line. For example, I tend to do IWB and OWB belt holsters for strong side applications with autopistols. What you are asking for is not something that I do often, so for me to aquire the proper hardware and dummy gun, it is going to be quite expensive because of the minimums that I have to meet in order to get what is needed.

Secondly, What you are asking for is extremely unusual. There is absolutely no profit motive for a company to offer something this, uh, unique. So, IF you do want it, you're gonna have to pay the R&D costs.
    [/url]
    I just got two responses one, from Blade-Tech stating they can do it but they are out of the material right now and to try them back in a month or so, there current strong side holster which I have a link to is not custom but is made especially for the USP with TLR2 and GG&G adapter, which obviously fits like a glove. Survival Sheath Systems was recommended by blackwater and say they may be able to do it. IT seems like kydex may be the way to go on this one, although I generally prefer leather. My company has a direct bill program setup with blackwater so thats really the only place I will go for training, although the link you posted is interesting. Don't get me wrong, I do not only carry my USP in this way, I also have a Milt Sparks and Galco rig for strong side and shoulder that work great that I use without a light, but there are times when a weapon light and/or laser comes in very handy in both training and real life situations (although thankfully I have not had to test it out in a real situation).
    Last edited by jlstorm; January 5th, 2007 at 04:47 PM.

I looks like Mark might be able to fix you up! That's the beauty of this forum - you can get a boatload of information from a variety of sources all in one place. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Hi Folks,
    This kinda turned into a training discussion, so I moved that part to the proper forum. Here's the link: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=19056

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ok I'm at a loss here. Is the shooter right handed and want an left hand thumbbreak? Or is it as simple as he is a lefty in search of a shoulder holster for a weapon with a light attached? If its that simple I am shocked that he didnt just simply look at Don Hume's catalog and see the shoulder holster for a weapon with light rig.
    http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...?ProductID=466

Oh an email might work better if followed up by a phone call to Don Hume, they always answer the phone but take a while to answer their emails. Might be from Oklahoma, but heck so am I, thats good enough for me.

Ok back to muh cage,
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Ok I'm at a loss here. Is the shooter right handed and want an left hand thumbbreak? Or is it as simple as he is a lefty in search of a shoulder holster for a weapon with a light attached? If its that simple I am shocked that he didnt just simply look at Don Hume's catalog and see the shoulder holster for a weapon with light rig.
    http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...?ProductID=466

Oh an email might work better if followed up by a phone call to Don Hume, they always answer the phone but take a while to answer their emails. Might be from Oklahoma, but heck so am I, thats good enough for me.

Ok back to muh cage,
    We already covered this, but in short, I went that route and its a no go with DH. I think I have it covered now though, thanks.

jlstorm, you are asking for a fantasy holster, you are better off carrying the light etc. in another pouch. In case any one doubts me this is the combo that jsstorm wants to use with a holster. If you do find someone to make this holster will it be on the belt or inside the waistband? Regards, Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links