Pocket holster for Kahr CW380 (Unconventional Needs)

This is a discussion on Pocket holster for Kahr CW380 (Unconventional Needs) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, if anyone reading this has also read my thread inquiring about inexpensive and secure storage for my guns I'd like to let you know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pocket holster for Kahr CW380 (Unconventional Needs)

Alright, if anyone reading this has also read my thread inquiring about inexpensive and secure storage for my guns I'd like to let you know that I have solved my dilemma and found an inexpensive 8 gun safe on craigslist before purchasing this new gun. Now to the point of the thread..

Today I just got a great deal on a Kahr CW380 via gunbroker, now I need to consider my options for a pocket holster. The only difference between choosing a holster in this situation, is that I need to make absolutely sure that there is no way that this gun can fall from my pocket should I find myself upside down, side ways, or any other way that a body in a physical altercation can end up. If this cannot be done I'd rather take the risk of not carrying period.

If you're curious as to why I am looking specifically for a holster that will provide the utmost security in a physical altercation it is because I am a bouncer at a popular restaurant/bar/venue in my city, and unfortunately there are times where situations cannot be deescalated and self defense is required, a firearm falling from my pocket onto the floor in a bar would be my worst nightmare.

Before I get a lecture from anyone about carrying in a dangerous environment, I'd like to state that I'm not new to being armed and in physical altercations. I have 5 years in the armed security/bail enforcement field and have had my fair share of altercations while armed. I am also 100% sure that I will be carrying in a manner that is in accordance with state law.

Good advice is appreciated in advance, thank you DC community.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    For a gun that small, look for a zipper pouch or camera case with belt loops.

Would I be able to fit either of those into my pocket? I'd hate to take the risk of having an external holster like a camera case. People have had their cameras in the case stolen right off of them at events before, and I'd hate for some thief to think he's stealing a camera to find out he got a much sweeter deal. Naturally I'd be on my guard, and keep my hands positioned over top of the case so I'd feel a prying hand, but there is also human error, and times where I have to use body language.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    I have one with a reenforced stitched on nylon belt loop. You thread your belt through it and would have to cut it or the belt off. I only front pocket carry when I am going to be walking a lot. My belt pouch looks like a large cell phone or pda case.

They also have CCW pants with secret pockets, but they are expensive. I you don't want to zipper your gun, look for kydex holsters with good retention. There are belly band type carry systems you can also look into.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.

You might consider a Recluse holster which should keep the gun secure. Also think about a Pistol Wear Trump Card as a belly band. Check out this video

is CW380 same size as CW9? If so, it is not small...

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    Are you just trying to add to your post count? They are NOT the same size. A simple Google search would tell you that. In any case, how does this post contribute to the OP's question?

Recluse, DeSantis and many other brands make in pocket holsters that will likely meet the OP's needs. I use a DeSantis Super Fly for my Kahr P380, but admittedly I don't stand on my head while doing so. Also the OP might consider any number of belly bands as an alternative to pocket carry in addition to the Pistol Wear. This is one example: Belly Band Cross Draw Gun Holster Fits Kahr CW380-Alpha Brace

But I am not aware of any holster that is 100% fool proof. The more secure, the more the likelihood it will impede the draw when needed.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I have a CW380 that I carry in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I have been carrying it since December and have never had a problem of the gun falling out. Being secure is also important to me as I have 3 small children. I have not had any problems while rolling around and wrestling with the little ones.
    Outer_Heaven and WannabeaCPA like this.

People everywhere speak very highly of the Nemesis, I think I'll be using it for EDC and I'll just run some tests with it to see if it will serve me properly at the job place before I go ahead and buy another holster. Should I have to buy another holster specifically for work, I think I'll go with spclopr8tr's suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Are you just trying to add to your post count? They are NOT the same size. A simple Google search would tell you that. In any case, how does this post contribute to the OP's question?.
    Touchy fellow. . (Oops, just added another post count.... )

spclopr8tr: thanks for calling out the "post-padder", I hate folks who just want to hear themselves type.

OP: I occasionally carry the CW380, in a variety of pocket holsters. I believe a leather model will enhance your security, specifically the Recluse; it's got full leather coverage to disguise the gun's print and, in pants with pockets that are a little snug, will keep itself quite stable. Bear Creek and Hiddenholsters also make some nice leather holsters for the gun.

Mods, send him to Detroit for punishment!!

Id say a good secure ankle holster would do the trick. Might be a little slower but won't come loose and undetectable.

VIP Member
    Nope, different sized guns:
    Kahr CW Series | CW380, CW9, CW40 and CW45
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

IMHO I don't think you can pocket carry and be 100% positive that the weapon will stay in the pocket under any and all circumstances. I owned the higher end version of this pistol and had an Alabama holster kydex holster that was very secure but I would not say 100% especially in an altercation. I think you need a pancake holster with a thumb break retention strap for the kind of security you are after. If the pistol and holster combo can go into a pocket they can certainly come out under the right circumstances.

You may increase the pocket carry security by having a deeper pocket installed on you pants you wear for work as well. That may give you enough confidence that you will get the retention you are after.

Good luck with this pistol I could never get mine to be reliable.
    SW

VIP Member
    For someone who joined the board months before I did, adding to your post count doesn't really strike me as being your strong suit.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links