A Pocket Concealment Systems review

This is a discussion on A Pocket Concealment Systems review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got this little pocket holster for a Seecamp that I figured you guys might be interest in a review of it. For other guns ...

I got this little pocket holster for a Seecamp that I figured you guys might be interest in a review of it. For other guns too I suppose. Pocket carry is not really my thing but this one lends itself to the occasional need.

Ordered Thursday afternoon from Lightning Arms sports because they had one. This is called the redoubt and it arrived here Saturday noonish. Pretty quick almost all the way across the country.

This is one of Micheal Merediths stuff from Pocket Concealment Systems out of Maryland. Micheal lists this holster for $45 on his site. But LAS gets $58 for it because... well... they gotta make a living too. Price you pay for in a hurry and want custom stuff. This is a stock photo of it off his sight with a nice PPK in it:

Here is a link:

http://pcsholsters.com/catalog_item_RDT.html

First impressions. Very well made. On par with any other custom made Belt or Holster I have. Double stitching is nice and even and well done. Almost looks braided. The edges are finished well and properly. The molding is spot on. The gun slips in nicely and the gun retains and takes the least bit of effort to dislodge with a flip of the finger. Retains but yet releases nicely. Almost intuitively you wil find that you use your last and next to last finger to push against the spare mags base to flip the gun lose and out to your waiting forefingers and thumb. It's almost like you knew what to do without being told. It was instinctive to me. This actualy a feature not described but discovered. Rather than have a thumb pry point to do this, you use the mags bottom instead to do the same thing. That was a neat suprise. I had not even thought about that being an aid. I thought it would be more of a detriment. But its actually a double plus to the thing. The first being that you have the spare mag there to start with. The second being it's actualy very usefull to have it there for a lever for withdraw of the gun from the holster. So the mag bottom actualy serves a purpose.

The leather appears excellent grade cow hide and properly dyed.

I am currently wearing thick Sleep pants. Sort of that sweat pants material with very slanted pockets so that is all I have tried so far. It worked fine in those. In spite of the cant forward. I am nursing a cold today so I might not get to do a lot of fit testing in other types of pants but I can see that it probably will do fine in most. At least I think it will. More on that later.

The wet molding for the gun appears to be about evenly split front to back in depth only. Detail of the wet molding into every nook and cranny is slightly less on the outside edge (the edge that would print and the opposite edge from the Makers marks and tooling). Deliberatly so I would guess to avoid printing. Not flat on that side, but smoother and less detail molding. The molding on the other side is superb and very detailed. Very well done. The whole thing is convex slightly to fit the contour of the leg. I could be wrong and its off to one side a tad but not much. I believe the gun is centered in the halves. It however probably will not print unless the pants are very tight due to the smoother molding on the outside. It appears it could also be used for rear pocket. It is however properly molded and exact fit to the gun. Very good detail and very good fit.

It is tooled "LWS 32" across the slide area of the holster for this particular model and then the PCS logo in the oval and below that their address is stamped.

This would be the inside (non print side, the side towards your leg)

This would be the print side (side out towords the pocket front)

Overall nice stuff. Suprisingly nice. Not cheap but on par cost wise with most Custom stuff. I don't read or hear much about PCS but it certainly is good stuff from what I can tell. And of course the people at LAS are great people to deal with. That is very well known. And it continues to be the case.

That is all!
    Last edited by cphilip; January 8th, 2007 at 10:54 AM.

That looks like a really good set up. I have seen several pocket holsters lately that also have the spare magazine holder as part of the holster. Seems like a good idea as it keeps everything right there together.

Just make sure you clean the gun regularly when you carry it in the pocket. Guns carried in the pockets pick up lots of lint and other debris and they require more frequent cleaning to be reliable.

Looks like a good holster you have there. Let us know how it does after you have carried in it for a while.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Wink

Have been using a PCS "french curve" for nearly 10 years for my j-frame. The forward tilt is for pockets opening on the seam line. My holster is in black horse hide & looks almost as good today as when bought. Am intending to buy one of Mike's new "no-seeums" with a neutral cant for jeans type pockets. I think you are going to really like that holster.
    Stay SAFE!!
    gary

Nice setup. Thanks for the review.

Mike

Until Ohio's HB347 takes effect 14 March, we still have to carry our concealed piece in plain view, in a holster attached to the wearer's person, while in a motor vehicle. I have been making do with a pocket holster of sorts ... an IWB nylon, in the shirt pocket of my jacket, clipped to the pocket itself. Satisfies the legality and it will do just fine until that happy day in March when I can carry concealed in agreement with Webster's: "hidden, out of sight."
    (Personally I like that neat nifty holster you showed us above. Nice!)
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    That looks like a really good set up. I have seen several pocket holsters lately that also have the spare magazine holder as part of the holster. Seems like a good idea as it keeps everything right there together.
    I don't know, am I missing something here? If you're going to carry a spare mag, why would you want it to be on the same side as your gun? You're going to shift the gun to you're weak hand, reach back into your pocket with your strong hand to retrieve the mag, then juggle the gun and/or mag between hands while reloading?
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Paranoid View Post
    I don't know, am I missing something here? If you're going to carry a spare mag, why would you want it to be on the same side as your gun? You're going to shift the gun to you're weak hand, reach back into your pocket with your strong hand to retrieve the mag, then juggle the gun and/or mag between hands while reloading?
    If you are hurriedly going for the spare with a gun that small, you are probably about to die anyway.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I don't know that its practicle for tactical deploy. The spare mag part.

But it is a nice storage, one grab off the dresser on the way out the door to keep it all together sort of thing. And of course just as easy an unload when you get home and its all there snug as a bug in a rug in its little package. Also easy to pull the one thing out and slap it in the glove box. And its all kept neat and tidy in one place.

But yea... you shoot the 7 bullets in the gun and they better be up close and personal and make them all count with a .32 like that.

I suspect most of us have other things need to be in the other pocket that would complicate that spare mag even coming along at all. And likely would never carry it, if it was not there like that. But... there are draw backs to everything I should think.

Better pictures added to the starting post
    Last edited by cphilip; January 8th, 2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Upgrade pictures

Links