Defensive Carry banner

Got my MaxConV yesterday

9K views 87 replies 42 participants last post by  freetrapper 
#1 ·
Gary did a great job and was true to his estimated delivery schedule (6 to 8 wks). I put a "spare" 1911 commander in it wrapped in wax paper last night to break it it. I am really impressed with the quality. It fits like a glove and even in the brand new state it is so comfortable you hardly know that you are wearing it

Great job Gary, I'm thinking about getting another one.

#35 ·
As Carly Simon sings....Anticipation....Anticipation is making me wait!!! I too have one of Gary's masterpieces and I about lost my mind waiting for it to get here.....but it was well worth the wait. Actually, mine took a little longer because I also ordered one of his fine double mag pouches as well.

Thanks again Gary for a great product!!! Hope you are feeling better as well!

tex

#39 ·
Jason:
I recommend contacting Gary and Remy directly. They're really the only ones who can give you an answer specific to your order. I've spoken and done business with them on several occasions and they're simply not the type of folks that would screw over a customer (the same can be said for the vast majority of the makers here as well).

The last time I spoke with Gary he said the issues he was having with his leather source were resolved (or at least getting there) and he was working like mad to get caught up on all orders. Give them a call and I'm sure they'll be able to give you an update on your order status.
Jack

#41 ·
After getting mine I immediately sold my VM2...obviously I like it! :yup:

#42 ·
Any ya'al who are ahead of me in line can always call and cancel your order......sucks for ya'al but will move my name up the list a lil and I'm sure you'll regret it and place the order later, behind my name. I hope that process is ok with Gary....but I'm paitent and dont go back to work for another six weeks so I'm good. Have to admit, this is worse than waiting for my daughter to make an apperance but I'm sure my holster will cause me less pains in the wallet.

Later ya'al.

#43 · (Edited)
Gary makes some of the best holsters in the world.....Im glad you guys like them. You are obviously not alone.

Gary's situation is his own and I wont speak for him. As far as production goes...it may seem or may be easily assumed that all leather stuff is made on an first come/first served basis...and it sorta/kinda is. And it sorta kinda isnt.

With me...if a particular holster will fit into production at a certain time working with that style of holster/if that mold is available/Im dying that color today/etc....and it helps with the overall efficiency of things...thats when it gets done. It the belt that got ordered with the holster I just did, isnt gonna get made for another 3 weeks but thats the most efficient way of doing it...thats how it gets done.

Sounds stupid but it works.......

Shoot well and god bless

#45 ·
I just spoke with Remy (what a nice lady). She said that Gary has planned for my stuff to be out in 2 weeks. No worries! Again, I can only say good things about both Gary and Remy. They really have been nice to deal with. I didn't think they would push older orders to the bottom of the pile. I was just a little concerned by several previous post. We'll I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks guys for putting up with my light ranting. I'll be sure to post a pic of my gear when it gets in.

Cheers,
Jason

#46 ·
FWIW, the leather supply problems that Eric described have been driving us insane. Two of the last three shipments have been pretty good - the last one being very good - and these are the best results I've had from Hermann Oak in nearly a year.
I will not ship a holster that is not right, and unfortunately that does sometimes (like now) result in delays. I cannot ever promise you fast, but I will make sure that I never send any of you a holster than I will not stake my own life on. That's the best I can do when the supply of material is so unreliable. I wish things were different, believe me. I have not spent nearly 24 years in this business only to intentionally alienate my customers. We are doing the best that we can under the circumstances.

There are two alternatives, and I'd like some feedback. The first option is to steel reinforce all of our holsters - then they will work fine with leather that I currently cannot/will not use. However, the down side is that they will naturally be somewhat bulkier and heavier.

Or, I can go to horsehide. Horsehide will not mold terribly well, nor will it have the detailed boning that my present work has. In short, most horsehide holsters I've seen just look kinda rough to me.

So guys, what do you think?

#47 ·
Gary,

I wouldnt dare speak for the others on here (and on the list) but as for me....I will wait paitently until you receive enough quality leather to make the rig the way you've been making them. I know paitence and it is a virtue and I will wait till mine comes it that way.

Steve

#48 ·
Gary,
I ordered from you for several reasons but one reason is because you make a top quality holster that you yourself would stake your life on. I am looking forward to one of your MaxCon VI holsters with all of the quality features that others on here brag about. After owning this Don Hume holster (nice holster for the money) I can't wait to see the level of boning and the retention that yours will offer me. For that I am willing to wait.

If it gets to where good leather is absolutly imposible to find then maybe you will need to change to horse hide or metal reinforcing. Until then I will wait for my holster knowing that when I get it you are as happy with it as I am.

Keep up the good work.

Lee

#49 ·
Update!!

I just got off the phone with my sales rep at Hermann Oak. They have completed revamping the equipment that was causing the problem. Our leather supply problems should now be permanently resolved. (I just got a batch of hides in earlier this week, and it was the best leather I've seen in a year or more. So hopefully, things will start to move along from here.) :banana:

#50 ·
Gary, I have four of your holster's and a fifth on the way. I was going to say not to change anything, but I see that your leather problems have been solved. Hopefully.

With your holster's I can carry and conceal anything with minimal cover-up. And I'm not very big. 5'7" and 145 lbs. Keep up the excellent work!!!

#51 ·
I was going to say not to change anything, but I see that your leather problems have been solved. Hopefully.
Hey Realleycat!

Thank you for your kind words. As far as the supply issues go, they seem to be solved - for now.

There is actually more to this problem: Traditionally, cattle were range grazed and slaughtered when they had fully matured - maybe 24-28 months of age. During that time, the animals endured at least two winters that served to toughen up the hides.

Now, the majority of cattle producers are raising (at least in part) in feedlots. The animals are stuffed full of steroids and reach their full weight much earlier, so they are slaughtered younger. This results in hides that are softer & spongier because they are not physiologically mature. Feedlots are also full of flies, and the hides are often pockmarked with flybites (that kinda resemble the scar from a smallpox vaccine). Now the latest threat: China. They are buying up raw hides all over the world and driving up prices, and reducing availablilty to a significant degree.

20 years ago, a given hide might yield anywhere from 12 to 20 holsters. Today, in order to get leather that molds up firmly I MIGHT get 6 holsters from the same piece of leather (that costs around $150) and the rest is useless - it goes into the trash. I am spending $25-$30 per holster, just for leather. Add to that the cost of glue, thread, snaps, finish and the machinery (and labor) to put it all together, and this is a very expensive product to produce.

If I were to go with more steel reinforced holster designs, I could provide a decent holster fairly reasonable (around $100 - $120). However, if the current trends continue, a Max-Con V is going to cost much more than that in the future because it must be made only from really primo leather. (We design and test them made with really soft, flanky crap leather straight out of the trash can - that way we know they'll work in any "worst case" scenario.) However, in order to make a holster that stays at least fairly rigid and holds it's shape, it must be made from really good material. That material is skyrocketing out of sight pricewise. This is a really tough business, and it is getting tougher all the time...

#54 ·
Gary,

I wouldn't change a thing. The quality, comfort, and concealability that your holsters offer seemn to be what keeps you on top. Hell, it's the reason I purchased the MaxCon V over many of the other reputable holster makers out there. I think the concensus here is that we don't mind the wait.

Cheers,
Jason

#55 · (Edited)
Gary:
Ideally, yes it'd be best to keep doing what you're doing now but if the worst happens and "good" leather can't be relied on, is horse any more cost effective? Seems as though there could be a possibility of density and quality issues there as well - and I have NO idea what the cost difference between horse and cowhide is but I'm sure you do.

I've had a couple of horsehide holsters from other makers and while they didn't have that "undies in a bunch" kind of detailing beauty I've gotten from you, they performed well for my uses (I'm not raiding crackhouses or serving warrants, just keeping my family safe). Would offering horsehide as an option be more trouble than it's worth?

As far as steel reinforcing goes, are you talking about just at the mouthbands (like the MC VI) or more than that? Seems that would be more labor intensive than what you're doing now. Is it harder on the stitcher, more wear and tear? Would using thinner leather laminates cause it to wear through early?

I like the idea of raising your own herd too. Teach the kids how to tan hides and maybe run yearly specials: Buy a full rig, get two T-bones. Think about it, you could annoy the Liberals and PETA! :yup:
Jack

#58 ·
I always buy quality products and expect to pay much more and wait as long as it takes. I knew when I orderded my MaxCon V it would be a while, and I now know it will be a while longer. Quality always comes at a price"time & Money". Keep up the good work Gary....

#59 ·
Gary I trust your judement on if you decide to change but I will still wait as patiently as ever to get my holster.

#60 ·
Gary,

I would suggest that you continue to work with the cowhide in your usual fashion.

I've been waiting patiently for my Max-Con V, Def-Con and Mag Pouch, and if I need to wait longer, than so be it. And if I must pay more, well so be it, too.

It is clearly evident that when you have the leather, you make a finely superior product. Adjust timelines and costs as needed....and keep up the excellent work we have all come to expect and appreciate. :)

--Dan

#61 ·
Last year I waited about 3 months for my presentation grade for my Kimber Pro CDP and it was worth the wait! It is an extremely comfortable and highly concealable holster. Here in the next few weeks I will be contacting Gary again regarding a Max Con V for my J-frame S&W 642. Oh, and maybe some of those T-bones! :image035:

#62 ·
I think Gary does the best he can, insisting on quality over quantity. I ordered mine in December and it took longer to get than I figured. But I just ordered it and tried to forget so the wait wasn't that bad. (Of course, also having one of K&D's fine holsters for the same gun made the wait much easier!)

From what Gary said earlier about hide prices I'm glad I got mine when I did though.

#63 ·
I ordered my MaxCon VI late in January, knew the wait was going to be hard on me (I'm like a kid at Christmas) but the quality of the product was worth the wait, for me. Gary, just keep on keepin' on! :king: When it gets here, it's like an unexpected gift. I can carry with a lesser product until it arrives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.