holster ideas/historical time period?

This is a discussion on holster ideas/historical time period? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, this is a little bit of a non-standard holster question but here it goes. During my travels throughout the country I remember visiting this ...

OK, this is a little bit of a non-standard holster question but here it goes. During my travels throughout the country I remember visiting this small museum someplace in the old west territory (I'll be damned though if I remember where it was as it's been a while). They had this display of old pictures and I remember couple struck me as odd at the time because it was either a sheriff or a pinkerton agents or some other law enforcement related agent wearing a duster and a 1911 on the hip. From what I can recall it was almost like a gunfighter rig (second belt with the holster hanging slightly lower then normal) but not exactly. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I colllect odd stuff at times and I think that would be a cool holster to aquire if for no other reason the historical value (oh yeah it'd have to be a replica but still).

Thanks.

I know that John Bianchi had an old west museum at one time that had a lot of holster stuff in it. I do not know if it is still in operation now or not.
    As far as the holster in question, holstermaking really became defined as a specialty area in the very late 19th/early20th Century. Prior to that time, and thru into the 1920's or so a lot of holsters were one of a kind items that were handcrafted by the local saddlemaker. It might therefore be impossible to find out anything about that particular rig.
    I dunno if this helps to answer your question or not. It'll be interesting to see what other folks have to say about this.

In the recent Guns and Ammo(the one with the Col. Cooper tribute), there is a picture of the Col. on almost the last page wearing the same type of rig for a 1911. I was wondering about it too. Maybe somebody who has more knowledge of the Col. will know more about it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Would the rig you're describing be something like Joaquin Jackson is wearing in this picture?

He describes his carry rig in his book: "Once I had customized the Colt Commander, it hung from a gun belt designed and crafted by my friend Jo Pena, a saddlemaker from Uvalde. The holster was handmade by another Ranger, Tolliver "Tol" Dawson, the ony supplier I knew who fashioned holsters for .45 holsters on the old Brille design. The Brille holster has never been surpassed in efficiency, utility and beauty."
    Last edited by Blackeagle; January 9th, 2007 at 02:42 PM.

There is an Old West museum in Wickenberg, AZ but doubt it was there that you saw. Rather than photos, they have literally hundereds of authentic holsters and firearms on display. I have seen rigs similar to what you describe, and think El Paso Saddlery makes a replica one.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    As far as the holster in question, holstermaking really became defined as a specialty area in the very late 19th/early20th Century. Prior to that time, and thru into the 1920's or so a lot of holsters were one of a kind items that were handcrafted by the local saddlemaker. It might therefore be impossible to find out anything about that particular rig.
    I dunno if this helps to answer your question or not. It'll be interesting to see what other folks have to say about this.
    Thanks. I kind of figured it's not going to be easy but since it's more of a want then a need I don't mind if it takes me a while to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Would the rig you're describing be something like Joaquin Jackson is wearing in this picture?
    Maybe. Unfortunately it's kind of hard to see it in that picture.

Administrator
    Oh so you're looking for a western style fast~draw low slung gunfighter rig for the Colt 1911 Semi Auto?

I have a photo on one somewhere....locating it will be another story.

They were not ever too common.

I'll see if I can find it but, it might take a while.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Oh so you're looking for a western style fast~draw low slung gunfighter rig for the Colt 1911 Semi Auto?

I have a photo on one somewhere....locating it will be another story.

They were not ever too common.

I'll see if I can find it but, it might take a while.
    that would be COOOOL! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    I know that John Bianchi had an old west museum at one time that had a lot of holster stuff in it. I do not know if it is still in operation now or not.
    I think I found something! http://www.frontiergunleather.com/ca...products_id=72 Your post about John Bianchi got me to looking at his site and there it is
    The new "El Paso" holster is styled like the Texas Rangers and Border Patrolmen wore during the 1920's through the early 1950's. This rig features a wet molded, heavy duty, high ride, compact holster.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    A 1911 gunfighting rig just sold on eBay last week. I'm pretty sure that El Paso Saddlery and Alfonso's can still make them. When I first started shooting IPSC back in the late 70s I remember some of the old timmers that had 1911s in fast draw western rigs.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    A 1911 gunfighting rig just sold on eBay last week. I'm pretty sure that El Paso Saddlery and Alfonso's can still make them. When I first started shooting IPSC back in the late 70s I remember some of the old timmers that had 1911s in fast draw western rigs.
    Wow Alfonso's is right around around the corner from my office but unfortunatly they are EXPENSIVE. I also looked at El Paso Saddlery just now and they didn't have anything that looked right. So for the moment Bianchi is it.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    Wow Alfonso's is right around around the corner from my office but unfortunatly they are EXPENSIVE. I also looked at El Paso Saddlery just now and they didn't have anything that looked right. So for the moment Bianchi is it.
    Check with Sam Andrews of Andrews Leather.

Links