Best horizontal mag carrier?

This is a discussion on Best horizontal mag carrier? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always slacked and never carried a spare mag because I've always found a thin, pointy thing jutting up into my love handles to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best horizontal mag carrier?

Best horizontal mag carrier?

I have always slacked and never carried a spare mag because I've always found a thin, pointy thing jutting up into my love handles to be very uncomfortable.

I'm thinking a horizontal mag carrier will be more comfortable. Will be used to carry a double stack 9mm Glock or Sig magazine.

After looking around I'm seeing a few that look promising. Only thing is I'd rather not pay something like $60 for one, and I'm not interested in waiting 2 months for one to be handmade.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Phaedrus and GWarden like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I was actually looking at those two and a Galco. Anyone have any experience with them?

I have the SHTF from Amazon. It's okay. The company customer service is great even if you purchase through Amazon. For the price, it's hard to complain too much. It comes with a screw to make adjustments for smaller mags. It's a snug fit/secure & comfortable. I wish it came in brown, because it sticks out as not a phone or something similar on a brown belt. As a woman, I would have to make too many wardrobe adjustments to wear it all the time.. Can't imagine it being much of an issue for a guy though. My major complaint is it does transfer color to your skin & clothes. I rubbed it well with a clean wet cloth, dried, & repeated. It's better now, but beware with Khaki pants, shorts, or a light colored shirt rubbing against it.

Don't have or use these but thought they looked promising if I ever did: MagHolder Online Store Cheaper too.
    OutdoorEnvy likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by redbirddog5 View Post
    I have the SHTF from Amazon. It's okay. The company customer service is great even if you purchase through Amazon. For the price, it's hard to complain too much. It comes with a screw to make adjustments for smaller mags. It's a snug fit/secure & comfortable. I wish it came in brown, because it sticks out as not a phone or something similar on a brown belt. As a woman, I would have to make too many wardrobe adjustments to wear it all the time.. Can't imagine it being much of an issue for a guy though. My major complaint is it does transfer color to your skin & clothes. I rubbed it well with a clean wet cloth, dried, & repeated. It's better now, but beware with Khaki pants, shorts, or a light colored shirt rubbing against it.
    Thanks for the info.

Might try to make one out of some scrap kydex tonight.

Chuck ... I can highly recommend the MagHolder. I've used it daily (1911 version) for the last year with excellent results. It's sturdy, has great retention, is easy to attach to your belt and is very comfortable to wear

OutdoorEnvy and joker1 like this.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

I have both, the SHTF Gear and the Safariland. Both of them are great. The SHTF is a little bit nicer (IMOHO) but won't hold a double stack mag. They do make one now that will- I recently ordered one and it has shipped, so soon I'll be able to compare them.
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

When the need arises, I use my Safariland mag holster.

In that case I'm stuck between the Galco and the SHTF. If I can find a Galco locally for a good price, I'll go that route. If not, I'll order a SHTF likely. I was thinking about it, and for the price, it's worth a shot.

I have a feeling that when I try to make one, it will be a fail. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by redbirddog5 View Post
    The SHTF gear products do not transfer color.... the leather is laser cut for their products. This leaves carbon deposits on the edges. I discovered this with on of my holsters and contacted SHTF gear directly. After a wipe down with a damp cloth all was good.

To the OP, SHTF Gear is one of the better manufacturers you will find anywhere. I have four or five of their holsters, all of their mag carriers, and just ordered another holster for my newest gun. I would gladly recommend them first and foremost before anyone else. They may be a small manufacturer, but their products and customer service are bar none above the rest.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I just ordered one from TT gun leather. Dale Frickle also makes one as well.
    Don

These "versatile" (ambi horizontal or vertical carry) mag pouches look promising. With the 15% off coupon, they may be worth trying. If my link doesn't work, you can go to
    The Well Armed Woman. Promo code: HOT

Universal/Adjustable Magazine Holster by The Well Armed Woman

Quote Originally Posted by BuckJM53 View Post
    Chuck ... I can highly recommend the MagHolder. I've used it daily (1911 version) for the last year with excellent results. It's sturdy, has great retention, is easy to attach to your belt and is very comfortable to wear

Ditto except I carry a double stack 15 round GLOCK 9mm magazine in mine and I don't tuck in my shirt.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

1) eat better
    2) decrease size of love handles
    3) Get a nelson IWB/OWB mag holder ($60 still lol, 2-day shipping!!), but it's leather, and he's a DC sponsor
    Walther PPS 9mm
    MDJ IWB holster // Cooks AIWB holster
    Nelson IWB spare mag (www.nelsonholsters.com) *DC Sponsor*
    Filson belt (www.filson.com)
    SOG Twitch2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links