Defensive Carry banner

I have an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Why upgrade?

10K views 40 replies 36 participants last post by  farsidefan1 
#1 ·
This is how I discreetly carried my LCR today at an Independence Day function with some colleagues. I love my leather holsters worn on the hip, but I have a hard time imagining how a nicer pocket holster could do anything different without getting thicker and making it look like I'm smuggling a VHS tape in my front pocket.

Has anyone upgraded their pocket holster up from an Uncle Mike's?

#2 ·
I have a size 2 Uncle Mikes pocket holster for my LCP. It works, but when you draw, the holster comes out with the gun. You need to use your thumb and bumb the holster off when you draw.

I just bought a J frame that will be here this week and ordered a Remora pocket holster for it. Ive heard great things about them.

#3 ·
I never skimp on IWB, OWB, and Shoulder Holsters. I always insist on quality leather. That said, for pocket carry I have always used the Blackhawlk, or Uncle Mikes pocket holsters. They always work great for me. Stays in my pocket when I draw, and have even found that they are sticky enough to use IWB if I have to. For pocket carry I see no need to buy anything else. Just my 2 cents.

#14 ·
I'm also a firm believer in quality leather and dedicated gun belts for IWB and OWB. I bought my UM pocket holster to fill the gap until I could order something "better". Turns out, this thing works just fine.

There is an old saying "You can tell the mechanic by his tools"
Doesn't every good mechanic have a cheap flat head screwdriver in their toolbox?

#4 ·
Why upgrade? To upgrade, of course. Presuming it's actually uprating the performance or capability. Something different isn't always better; it can just be different.

Myself, I've had a couple of simple pocket and OWB style holsters of the "Uncle Mike's" sort. Since those initial purchases many moons ago, it's been nothing other than fairly top-notch leather. That goes for the pocket holsters as well. I've found the ones by Mitch Rosen, K&D Holsters, and a couple of other makers, to be superior in terms of overall functionality, snugness of hold on the weapon, positioning in the pocket, thinness (yet firmness) of the material, and in terms of smoothing out the "printing" of the gun. I'd have it no other way.

YMMV, as everyone's shape, wardrobe and selection of arms is somewhat different.

#5 ·
I have a cheap hard leather holster I bough for 12 bucks at a gun show for pocket duty for a cm9. The pistol fits loose enough I don't worry about the holster following the pistol out of the pocket. I hate a well formed snug holster for pocket duty that can try to stay with your pistol when drawn or some that cover up to much handgun that makes it hard to get a grip on.

#6 ·
I use a Desantis to pocket carry the LCR.
I have a couple of Uncle Mikes I use for my other carry guns.
They work ok for me I like the fact I can modify them with a needle and thread and my
Rudimentary sewing skills
I also use leather holsters,nothing custom just good off the shelf stuff like Galco etc...

#7 ·
#12 ·
Speaking of buying up to more expensive gear, I bought a well made OWB holster and upscale gun belt and cannot wear either. I've tried several different ways but they just don't work together for me, so I went back to my $29 Desantis IWB/pocket holster.
Maybe I can wear the other rig around the house.

#16 ·
There is also a saying "It is a poor workman who blames his tools."

#17 ·
Depends if it meets YOUR criteria. Mine would be Does It Cover the Trigger Adequately, Does it fit in pocket. and the gun can be easily drawn out. If the price is right and it does what it's supposed to do....Why change (If It Ain't broke, Don't Fix it)

Reactions: spclopr8tr
#19 ·
Just out of curiosity, how often do you find you have to draw your weapon then re-holster it back into your pocket? I can see this might be useful when practicing the draw, but for normal use I have yet to have to draw, much less re-holster.

Reactions: dangerranger
#20 ·
try rkbaholsters.com or some other leather pocket holster. I primarily pocket carry and will occasionally use my Blackhawk #4 holster but a quality leather holster is far superior.

They may both work, but one works better. A Ford Focus may get you to your destination the same as a BMW, but we know the BMW is doing it better.

#24 ·
When I first bought my PPS the only holster I could find in the stores was an Uncle Mikes. As soon as my Comp-tac arrived the Uncle Mike was relegated to a drawer. When winter rolled around, it became pretty apparent that I'd have a heck of a time getting to my Comp-tac if I needed it. Fortunately for me the Uncle Mikes was waiting patiently for me to realize its place. I've been pocketing it in my jacket for years now. Been thinking about trying to locate a back-up since mine's a bit dog eared these days.

#27 ·
I have started pocket carrying my Shield in an old Uncle Mike's I had in the drawer, with Cargo shorts and have no problem with it. I do find that I tend to keep my hand in my pocket over the rig, but see no reason to change the set up.

#28 ·
I pocket carry a 642 in an uncle mikes pocket holster. It works just fine. To draw I find that if I press the gun against my thigh as I draw the holster stays put. I haven't had luck with any other uncle mikes holsters but their pocket carry holsters work just fine for me. I'm not changing.

#29 ·
I have a few of the "more expensive" leather pocket holsters for my S&W Model 60 and Glock 42. They are quality made.

That said it seems I always gravitate back to my Remora's. :image035:

Brown Handgun holster Leather Revolver Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Starting pistol Airsoft gun Gun accessory
Joint Handgun holster Hand Finger Personal protective equipment

click images to enlarge....

#30 ·
I started with a remora pocket holster for my 642 and SP101 but they seemed a little bulky for me, so I got $10.00 Blackhawks for them and that's a little less bulky for me yet function fine. I may stay with those, we'll see.

As for your situation, if something is working for you just fine, I see no reason to fix it.
Now, if you WANT a new holster then yea, go for it and let us know what you get and how it works for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.