Trouble with smooth draw from CCW holster - need advice

This is a discussion on Trouble with smooth draw from CCW holster - need advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seeking feedback on Safariland GLS holsters and leather holsters that are the on belt models (not paddle) for CCW. The problem I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Trouble with smooth draw from CCW holster - need advice

I am seeking feedback on Safariland GLS holsters and leather holsters that are the on belt models (not paddle) for CCW.

The problem I have right now is I have tried the GLS and a Galco leather CCW belt holster with some issues. What is happening is with the GLS the gun doesn't release easy enough for me to make a smooth draw, thus it pulls my belt up really hard (darn near a wedgie). I tried adjusting the tension screw, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know if the entire GLS release can be removed for just a holster, it looks like it but wasn't sure? Maybe I am adjusting the wrong screw, is it the large black one or the tiny silver one?

My Galco leather belt CCW holster has no safe guard, just straight draw, but it too does not draw clean and will hold my gun pretty darn snug. It has much of the same issues as the Safariland GLS, but I was told to get some Galco "Draw EZ" and that would fix it. I am using these with a good quality leather belt (LL Bean, Orvis, etc.), but I am pretty slim and toned build. So far I have not found a good quality holster that will give me a smooth clean draw for CCW.

Any advice on what to try for the holsters I have now or maybe others? It seems like there should be some way of getting a nice draw without jerking my belt so darn hard all the time.

Thanks
    gatorbait51 likes this.

For leather holsters, it's sometimes helps to wrap the handgun in a rag & store it in the holster for a day or two. The thickness of the rag "sets" the holster ever-so-slightly wider. It's worked for me. Good luck.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I can't help you with those specific holsters. A good quality leather holster will be tight when new. You will need to break it in. You can try some silicone spray lube as well. With your GLS try both screws. You may not be drawing straight up, does the gun stick with the holster off your belt?
    gatorbait51 and CIBMike like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Ghost is right, but your "good belt" is NOT a "gun belt". It isn't stiff like a gun belt, which is critical to keep everything where it should be and immobile till you need it. Dress belts aren't made to hold a pistol, and they let you know it by doing exactly what yours is doing. Get a real gun belt, and if that doesn't solve the problem, try the rag around the gun to work the holster a little larger.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

If its the holster, just use a plastic bag, put the weapon in a bag jamb it it leave for a day come back work it up an down 50 times if still tight jamb it in leave for a day that should do it. If not welcome to the start of the holster drawer.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

When I break in a holster I inset the pistol and twist side to side. This really stretches the leather and loosens the fit.

As stitcher said. Just slowly twist and wiggle the gun around in the holster. No need to really reef on it. Gun in plastic bag inserted into holster also works well. Tight when new is good because all quality leather holsters will stretch to a small degree with use. You really must wear a belt designed for carry, regular ones will seldom work well. Keep playing around with your holsters until you know for certain they wont work for you, at which point you sell them or chuck them into your holster bin. Good luck.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I use an old baseball trick I used to perform when breaking in a new glove. I work Barbasol shaving cream on all leather to soften it up a little. The leather soaks in the cream and any excess can be wiped off with a towel. Then after it has air dried for an hour or so, I'll place my gun wrapped in a bandana/handkerchief into the holster overnight to hold form. I used to not use the bandana, but was extra protective of the weapon's surface and started adding the bandana to have a layer between it and the holster. The next morning, I'll remove the bandana and re-holster. Just helps a holster soften ever so slightly to give the worn in feel. Works SO MUCH better than leather conditioners and is normally a dollar or two per can. I've had the same can in my bag for 3 years...using it only for leather belts, holsters, ball gloves...etc. Works like a charm... Just my .02.

Pat
    gatorbait51 likes this.

If you feel that you want a cleaner release of the gun when you're drawing it, REALLY consider a kydex holster with tension adjustment (tension screws). I have some top quality leather holsters, which I use regularly, but compared to my kydex Comp Tac and Blade-Tech holsters, pulling the gun from leather feels like pulling it out of quicksand.

A properly adjusted kydex holster will retain the gun even if held upside down and moderately shaken, yet will release the gun quickly and cleanly.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Leather holsters are usually a bit tight from the factory. Do not soften the leather, stretch the leather, put all sorts of stuff around the gun to make the leather looser, etc. Just draw the gun a lot from the holster and it will wear in as it is supposed to and was designed to do so by the factory. The shortcuts can work but they can also result in problems later on. Not saying they always will but it happens often enough I don't like to recommend them unless the factory has an approved break-in process they have found works.
    Nmuskier, BkCo1 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    ^^^this^^^
    Do not add any softeners or conditioners. You want a stiff holster in the end, just properly broken in.

Most people do not find a need for a retention holster like your Safariland for personal cc use. I would not own one.
    gatorbait51 and molleur like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    For leather holsters, it's sometimes helps to wrap the handgun in a rag & store it in the holster for a day or two. The thickness of the rag "sets" the holster ever-so-slightly wider. It's worked for me. Good luck.
    I've had good experience with the thinnest sandwich baggie I can find. IMO, a rag is far, far too thick and might well cause the holster to take a "set" that's much too loose for the gun.

I've also had good experience with simply drawing frequently at home. As with dry-fire exercises, draw-stroke exercises can help break in a holster, without the need to stretch it out. Slicks up the inner surface of the holster, much as shooting a gun for 1000rds polishes things a bit.

But, whatever works for a person. The technique is a good one, to slightly expand the holster by a miniscule amount, such that the draw stroke is a tad smoother.

OP, it should remain a snug, firm hold on the gun, however. And the draw stroke should be a decidedly positive and committed one, to get the gun out of the holster. Shouldn't be hard, no. Shouldn't yank the belt up to your armpit, no. But it's got to retain a snug hold on the gun through all sorts of movement. You don't want to destroy that by blowing the holster's fit on the gun.
    gatorbait51 and molleur like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTekJeff View Post
    I am using these with a good quality leather belt (LL Bean, Orvis, etc.), but I am pretty slim and toned build. So far I have not found a good quality holster that will give me a smooth clean draw for CCW.
    This is your problem. When I started carrying, I tried using My Eddie Bauer leather belt. Was using an IWB hybrid. The belt supported the weight fine. When I would try to draw, the belt would twist and nearly lock the gun in. A good leather gun belt fixed everything.
    gatorbait51, CIBMike and molleur like this.

When I get a new holster that is a little tight, I put the gun inside a dress sock and carry it around the house for a day or so and leave it in the holster overnight. It stretches the holster just enough. A plastic bag can sweat or hold moisture.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I had a GLS for my Glock 19 but ended up sending it back. I never had any problem drawing from it right out of the box. Of course you must use your middle finger to press the release at the same time as you pull up. I suspect you're doing that as it's the whole point of that holster. But I thought I would just mention it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links