Holster for S&W Model 19

This is a discussion on Holster for S&W Model 19 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to provide holsters for three people for concealed carry. They will be doing protection and investigative work, and will only be carrying while ...

Thread: Holster for S&W Model 19

VIP Member

Holster for S&W Model 19

I have to provide holsters for three people for concealed carry. They will be doing protection and investigative work, and will only be carrying while "on duty." The only requirements are decent quality, OWB, reasonable concealability. Any of you wheelgun gurus out there have any suggestions? One of them is female, if this makes a difference...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    you may try Milt Sparks, I got one recently for a Model 65 ( Versa max 2), same frame as a 19, in fact my 19 fits real good in it.
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=18508

http://www.miltsparks.com/
    RKBA

John

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I have to provide holsters for three people for concealed carry. They will be doing protection and investigative work, and will only be carrying while "on duty." The only requirements are decent quality, OWB, reasonable concealability. Any of you wheelgun gurus out there have any suggestions? One of them is female, if this makes a difference...
    Hmnn. I almost always have Tony and the boys at Milt Sparks make me a new holster whenever I buy a new gun. I have one of their PMK models for my Ruger Security Six and it's great.

Females usually have problems with holsters designed for men, they often ride higher on women due to their physical differences, dig into their rib cages, and generally are harder for them to draw from.

The PMK was designed for Tony's wife and rides somewhat lower than the usual "for men" holster, but is still quite usable for men. And it's not dyed pink, or marked as being "the Ladysmith model" or anything like that.

However, last time I ordered a new holster from them, it took about 18 weeks before I got it, and it sounds like you might need to buy something "off the shelf" cause you need it right now.

That probably means you're going to have to look at something from Bianchi or Safariland or someplace like that.

I'm not quite sure why you feel the need to provide the SAME holster to all three. Why not provide them with a copy of a Binachi catalog and let them each pick out the model that they think will work best for THEM?
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

VIP Member
    They don't have to be the same. I was hoping to get several suggestions so that I could show them the options, describe some pros and cons, et cetera. The PMK looks like a very good choice for the female, and I have found some others from the "big name" makers as well - I was/am just looking for input from some of you who carry a similar sized revolver concealed on a normal basis.

Thanks for your input.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Price Western Leather pancake holster

I sometimes carry a S&W model 66 (2.5 inch barrel) which is identical to the S&W model 19 you describe. The best OWB pancake holster I have found for this is made in the UK by Price Western Leather. Here is their website:

Price Western Leather (UK)

The company has a US distributor in Atlanta and quite a few distributors in other countries, although I don't see a Brazilian distributor listed on the website. The holster is made of extremely high quality, heavy leather and holds the gun perfectly for me - high and tight against my body.

DeSantis and Kramer also make nice high ride pancake or scabbard type holsters for revolvers. Here is my model 66 in the Price holster:

Member Array Optimistic Paranoid's Avatar
    I didn't notice at first that you are in Brazil. That raises another possible issue. Holster material.

I'm personally not a fan of Kydex holsters. One of the guys I've trained with does a lot of handgun retention training, and he reports that he's never seen a Kydex holster stand up to one of his classes. They all rip off the belt during a struggle over the gun!

OTOH, another guy I've trained with, John Farnam, does a lot of training in South Africa, and receives a lot of reports from his students there, and they LOVE Kydex holsters down there because "sooner or later the leather holsters turn to goo from the heat and humidity here."

Which may also be an issue for you in Brazil . . .
    Regards
    John

Life Member - American Society of Armed Political Malcontents

Question Authority. Hang As Necessary!

In God I Trust. Everybody Else Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Isnt there an awsome holster maker in Brazil? (OOPS SORRY IT'S PERU I WAS THINK ABOUT I will have to search this and other forums but I think someone mentioned one and even showed some of his work.

Edit: Sorry wrong South American country.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Thanks for the input. The weather here isn't unreasonably hot or humid, but we do have a very rainy rainy season. Kydex is, therefore, an option. I'm interested in that Peruvian holster maker, though, as I have some good contacts there and could probably get them with little hassle.

The Gibralter Speed Scabbard by Ken L. Null is hard to beat. Regards, Richard

Links