P-3AT pocket carry without holster

This is a discussion on P-3AT pocket carry without holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How safe is it to carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT in an empty back pocket without a holster? I hear some people say it's not a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-3AT pocket carry without holster

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar

How safe is it to carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT in an empty back pocket without a holster? I hear some people say it's not a problem because the empty pocket isn't any different than something like a smart carry. Other people say carrying any DAO gun without a holster is just a bad idea.

What's the consensus on the forum?

I would at least use a wallet holster if you're carrying in the back pocket, otherwise you'll be printing and someone will either take exception or try and take the gun off you.

http://www.pocketholsters.com/Kel-Te...t_holster.html

Good thinking with regards to printing. Would you still not recommend no holster carry for an empty front pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    Good thinking with regards to printing. Would you still not recommend no holster carry for an empty front pocket?
    I would recommend it with either a DAO semi or a revolver in DA. Many people do, you just need to be aware it's there sufficiently.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I carry a P3AT everyday, front right pocket. I definitely recommend a pocket holster for the following reasons:

1. Safety; not a big risk as your comparison with a Smart Carry is accurate ( I have one) however, the time the gun spends loaded but without the trigger covered does create opportunity for accidents. If you have to pull your pistol out to leave it in the glove box it's nice to have that pocket holster. I have forgotten myself and dropped keys in with my P3AT. Pocket holster also protects the pistol if you get poked, cut, etc. across the pocket. I know, not likely but...

2. Printing; as mentioned they print, period, having a block or wallet shape to break up the outline is good.

3. Dirt; It'll help to some degree, to keep crude out of the end of the barrel and the trigger group

You can get an Uncle Mikes pocket holster so cheap there's no reason not to have one and I think there's enough benefit (especially with printing) to recommend one. Are you likely to shoot yourself if you don't? No, I don't think so but I'd still recommend one...

God Bless
    Gideon

If I get the uncle mikes, should I get the one for .22-.25 cals or the one for most .380's? I remember hearing someone say that one of the .380 holsters didn't fit their kel tec because the gun was so small.

I pocket carry an AMT .380 Back-UpII in my right front all day, almost everyday without a holster. It is a single action gun with a concealed hammer. It does have a safety lever and a grip safety, but I still have no worry about an accidental discharge. The only nuisance is that without a holster of some sort, the pistol tends to perform acrobatics as the day goes on.

I have carried this one now for nearly a year in this fashion, and have yet to find the safety knocked off.

See Fist, Inc...

They have a kydex pocket holster that is super thin and has a thumb push for ensuring that ONLY the KelTec comes out of your pocket...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe@

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think holsterless pocket carry is a recipe for disaster. Too many things can go wrong with a device that you are placing your life expectancy in. If for no other reason, the pistol can and probably will reposition itself such that drawing it would be very problematical.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I carry a P3AT everyday, front right pocket. I definitely recommend a pocket holster for the following reasons:

1. Safety; not a big risk as your comparison with a Smart Carry is accurate ( I have one) however, the time the gun spends loaded but without the trigger covered does create opportunity for accidents. If you have to pull your pistol out to leave it in the glove box it's nice to have that pocket holster. I have forgotten myself and dropped keys in with my P3AT. Pocket holster also protects the pistol if you get poked, cut, etc. across the pocket. I know, not likely but...

2. Printing; as mentioned they print, period, having a block or wallet shape to break up the outline is good.

3. Dirt; It'll help to some degree, to keep crude out of the end of the barrel and the trigger group

You can get an Uncle Mikes pocket holster so cheap there's no reason not to have one and I think there's enough benefit (especially with printing) to recommend one. Are you likely to shoot yourself if you don't? No, I don't think so but I'd still recommend one...

God Bless
    Gideon
    +1 great post, would add that the pocket holster also keeps the gun oriented correctly so you don't have to fish for it in your pocket.

Pocket holster

I'm a lefty and I carry a P32 in my right rear pocket as a BUG, and I use a pocket holster for breaking up the outline of the gun as well as keeping it a little bit clean, as others had mentioned. However, I find that if I carry it on the left side, such as when it's my only gun, the magazine release can get bumped. On that side, it's not protected by my natural padding and bumps into stuff. That might make a difference depending on where you carry it. I use an Uncle Mikes holster size 0 (I think, the label has long since fallen off). I switched to a small Kydex, but switched back after I had that problem.

Gideon made very good points with his post. Another to add to the list is the likelihood that without a holster you'll cause more wear on your pockets, typically made of very thin material. If a pocket tears out, it could be a recipe for embarassment, at the least. You may also end up with oil spots on your trousers.

Of greatest importance, as has been said, is security and concealment. A good pocket holster keeps your weapon in your pocket, oriented to allow a proper grip, and prevents printing.

I carry my P3AT in my right from pocket in a Jagwear wallet-look model. My young bride uses the same type holster in her purse. It just makes good sense.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Smartcarry is different from pocket carry. Smartcarry the trigger is covered with material that will not allow you to pull the trigger. That is not the case with bare pocket carry.

I use a $10 UM Pocket holster for my P32 that is in the back, front or coat pocket carry. Makes the gun look like a wallet!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have to agree with the safety issue part of this thread. The only way to safely do it, I believe, is to not have one in the pipe. Which makes it a bit less prompt at calling it into play. I don't think its a good idea. The primary reason for a pocket holster is safety. Printing is secondary to that.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    I think holsterless pocket carry is a recipe for disaster. Too many things can go wrong with a device that you are placing your life expectancy in. If for no other reason, the pistol can and probably will reposition itself such that drawing it would be very problematical.
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I have to agree with the safety issue part of this thread. The only way to safely do it, I believe, is to not have one in the pipe. Which makes it a bit less prompt at calling it into play. I don't think its a good idea. The primary reason for a pocket holster is safety. Printing is secondary to that.
    Precisely On-Point!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links