FAQ/Info on IWB carry ??

FAQ/Info on IWB carry ??

This is a discussion on FAQ/Info on IWB carry ?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, is there a FAQ on IWB carry anywhere, or just the basics of IWB carry. Mostly looking for suggestions on requirments for pants, belt, ...

Thread: FAQ/Info on IWB carry ??

FAQ/Info on IWB carry ??

Hello, is there a FAQ on IWB carry anywhere, or just the basics of IWB carry. Mostly looking for suggestions on requirments for pants, belt, carry location etc...

Varys per you body size a good gun belt is a must

I carry IWB right on the hip some prefer in front of hip or behind

You usually need to go 2 sizes bigger on pants size

For a IWB i like http://brommelandgunleather.com/

I carry IWB at 3-3:30 in a Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. on a Wilderness Instructor Belt. This combo works very well for me.

I usually carry my 3" 1911 in a Tucker Answer at about 3:30 - 4:00. I'ved also used a Galco Ultra Deep Cover. Plus I've got a Brommeland Max Con V on order.

IWB carry takes some getting used to, and you have to work with it to get the right carry position for your body type. It also may require some changes to your wardrobe: larger pants, longer overgarments, etc.

A high quality holster and belt will make a huge difference. I was a bit frustrated at first until I got things dialed-in, and now it's pretty much second nature.

The holster forum here has lots of good info, and I'd also recommend you take a look at the Tucker Gunleather Blog for some excellent articles.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

First off, Welcome Aboard!

The fastest, easiest way to learn is to talk with an experienced IWB carrier. We do consultations (at no charge) to help newbies get started. Please feel free to call if you have any questions at all (423.733.1779).

Here are the basics, as I see them:

Start with an actual gunbelt. It is the foundation that the rest of the gear works off of.

Do not buy a cheap holster. Buying one good holster is far less expensive than a bunch of cheapies, and you'll actually have something that works.

Make sure there is a little extra room in your pants.

Most folks find that a Strong Side, behind the hip carry is by far the best position. (Every trainer that I know of uses this position and teaches their students to do the same). The exact location that works for you might not be the same one that works for me - so a little experimentation is in order (With your belt buckle being 12:00, try everything from about 3:30 to 5:00 or so, until you find the place that works best for you.) On a male's anatomy, there is a natural hollow spot over the kidney, just below the bottom rib. A properly designed IWB will tuck the grip of the gun into that spot.

Use dark colored, or print shirts that do not cling as a cover garment. Vests, jackets, hospital "Scrub" tops all work well too.

Don't "pat" your gun, or mess around with it while you are out in public - that's a dead giveaway that you're packin', and it might make you a target for BG's. This is a tendency that we all have when we first start carrying a firearm. Don't give into the temptation.

Realize that it will also take a bit of time for a new thing (like a block of steel shoved into your pants) to feel natural - give yourself a chance to adjust.

If you carry a short barreled firearm (Glock 26/27, 3" 1911, etc) I would also suggest choosing a holster with a closed muzzle. That will make it more stable and less likely to "poke" or dig into you.

Although many may disagree with me on this, avoid "tuckable" holsters like the plague. Your "weak" hand may be needed for something else besides helping you draw your gun (like preventing your attacker from field dressing you, or perhaps pushing your wife/kids behind cover) and "tuckables" are very slow to draw from. Keep in mind that a defensive engagement will be over in a couple of seconds, and if you cannot access your firearm in under maybe a second and a half, you'll just die with a gun in your pants.

Above all, do not think that your CCW class was adequate to survive a lethal force engagement. It was not. Book a PistolCraft class from a recognized, respected trainer (not your local "Chairborne Ranger", either - but a nationally-internationally recognized instructor) and take a class. Only then, spend many thousands of rounds perfecting your skills. (Doing so without said instruction is counterproductive because it simply reinforces bad habits).

Please call if you have any questions at all. Good luck!

I use IWB holsters 60% of the time for my primary, 20% smartcarry and 20% OWB. My BUG is in a pocket holster 90% of the time and 10% IWB.

I carry IWB anywhere from 1 (appendix) to 4 pm (just past the hip). Appendix for me works with a shorter barrel and nothing to poke me in the hammer area of the gun. Larger guns I carry in the 3 to 4 position. Depends on the gun and location if I like a FBI cant (15 degree) or straight up and down. Appendix works well when you are carry with a tighter sweater.

A good belt is a must and a good quality holster. I like thinner holsters and ones with a side guard for any gun that has sharp edges. I use Highnoon Holster and Bianchi 100 Professional the most with my guns.

Try some and your holster drawer will get full.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks for all the info. I guess the biggest question is the pants. Are we talking a whole pants size bigger, somebody suggested 2 sizes biggger ? It would seem if the pants are to much oversized you run into other problems, such as the pants just simply being to large. I have experimented with a pair of correct size, but looser (extra room in the waste) jeans and it appears enough room, without going extra size.I have a true custom gun belt I am working with. I have a couple of IWB, that I just cannot get comfortable with, to the point of it being annoying and causing pain. So just looking around for some info. I suppose it is possible some people just can't do IWB, I will continue to read and check out more info.

Thanks again,

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Waynefi View Post
    Hello, is there a FAQ on IWB carry anywhere, or just the basics of IWB carry. Mostly looking for suggestions on requirments for pants, belt, carry location etc...
    YMMV, but as long as you don't have to suck air to button up the top button of your jeans (I'm talking normal everyday, without a holstered gun tucked inside), your regular size should work just fine. You can check this by shoving your unloaded weapon inside the waistband at the approximate location you will be wearing it. A holster will add about 1/4" of additional thickness, so keep that in mind. If you feel like your waistband is constricting you, move up a pant size.

Belts should be firm and of gunbelt quality. Don't skimp on this aspect as even the best made holster in the world won't perform anywhere close to it's potential on a chicken hide belt. IWB carry will require that you let your belt out a notch or two, so take this into consideration when measuring a belt to be specifically made up for IWB carry.

Location will depend on your sweet spot. The sweet spot is where you obtain the best combination of concealment and comfort. Start at the point where your pelvic bone juts out and somewhere between there and approximately 4" back you will find the spot. I personally like a holster that is raked no more than 18 degrees as that allows me to wear it forward to just behind the starting point mentioned above. I can sit in a car seat comfortably without sitting on the gun and without the gunbutt jamming into the back of the seat. Most important, it is the best combination of concealment and comfort for my physique. Your results may vary.

Picture below is of OWB, but illustrates the location that is a starting point for most people.
    Second Best is not an option

Nice holster, Tony. (Is that a DelFatti? :shrug:) 'Sorry - I couldn't resist, the made me do it. Very nice holster.

Well, Gary and Tony about summed that up and took the words out of my mouth. The only other advice I could add since you are new to this is go to the local gun-shop or range, talk to other guys and see what they are carrying, and see if they will let you try on their rigs. most "gun-guys" love showing off their stuff, so this shouldn't be a problem and will give you some perspective. Keep in mind though that what works for them may not work for you. A guy that tells you x-brand holster and gun combo work great may only work great for him because he conceals under a windbreaker or photo-journalists vest. That same combo may suck under a t-shirt. This is a very personal thing. As stated above, a strong-side 15-18 degree cant is preferred by most; but I have one regular steady repeat customer who insists on everything be made straight vertical drop for 3 o'clock carry. He is very short waisted and has a shoulder injury to boot, so this just works best for him.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    How does one follow those three names. I wont even try cept to say thanks ya'al for being kind enough to help us all and to visit us on the board. You just cant beat it when the professionals who make these things daily come and help us out.

WOW.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Thanks for the pictures. It is nice to see others rigs on them and how they fit.

Sponsored Links