Any experiences with the Remora shoulder holster

This is a discussion on Any experiences with the Remora shoulder holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The concept seems good but I have some concerns about the application. Has anyone tried these? If so what are your experiences....

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By xmanhockey7
  • 3 Post By denclaste

Thread: Any experiences with the Remora shoulder holster

The concept seems good but I have some concerns about the application. Has anyone tried these? If so what are your experiences.

From what I can tell it's Remora's attempt to make a shoulder holster based off the popularity of their original holsters. I've seen Blackhawk do it with the Serpa holster and it was a dud. If you're going to get a shoulder holster get a good leather one. The Galco Miami Vice is what I have and it's great. Only time it really gets used is on long road trips and there it excels. Yeah it's about 3 times the cost of the Remora, but I bet it's more than 3 times more comfortable.
    Old Sarge likes this.

A quality shoulder holster is a investment; they are not cheap to make or own. But they are well worth the money if need one. My Alessi gets used weekly so it was worth the money to me. If you decide on one, get the best you can afford. A poorly designed one is torture to wear.
    Old Sarge, Goldy49 and TRX like this.

Ditto to denclaste, and Xmanhockey7; I have a Galco Miami Classic 2 that was back-ordered, and I waited about 3 months to get. Now have it, and I have to agree, they cost more, but ya get whatcha pay for. Go Cheap, and pay the price. Won't be as functional, nor comfortable. Galco is the only way to fly, in my humble opinion.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    USAF RETIRED

I have a armory express for my glock 20. Very nice I stumbled on the Remora shoulder looking for a completely different holster for a project and got curious.

I have Remora IWB with a reinforced top, love it. Have zero experience with Remora Shoulder Holster yet have experimented with other brands including the Galco Miami Classic II. Be advised, shoulder holsters are generally hotter to wear than Northface goose down. I cooked in every model I've tried. Definitely NOT a summer option.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    I recently purchased the Remora shoulder rig. I like the fact that I can adjust the cant easily. That is huge to me. I can go from horizontal to vertical instantly. In vertical I skip the retention straps (easily removed or adjusted) I also like a shoulder rig that attaches to the belt to control things from swinging around. I have an old leather shoulder holster but it doesn't have the opposing mag holder to balance it out. I also tried a leather holster I found at a gun show. I broke it trying to draw (too sticky) and that was after about 3 weeks of socking and bagging to loosen it up.

I have discussed my difficulties with leather in other threads although I now have 2 on order (still trying, you leather guys are persuasive) one IWB (Nelson leather and one from High Noon OWB.

Anyway because of those leather problems I went with the Remora. It is comfortable and for the price is hard to beat. For me the flexibility of use was huge. All that said, I'm still looking at a Miami classic, jackass rig or a shoulder rig from high noonIF I can get over my leather issues with the 2 on order. Hopefully quality boning will make the difference.

The reason I'm still looking to add holsters is to protect my investment in a new 1911. Everything I hear is that leather is a kinder gentler holster. BUT I am yet to be convinced. Color me hopeful but skeptical.
    Last edited by farsidefan1; August 11th, 2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: trying to keep spelling nazis at bay
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Sponsored Links