Defensive Carry banner

C-TAC, allows a firing grip while in holster with 1911?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  p8riot 
#1 · (Edited)
I just took a beginners handgun class from Randy Cain this week and one of the big things he stresses when doing a drawstroke is to be able to get a full firing grip on your pistol before even removing it from the holster.

The sweatguard on my Sidearmor IWB kept me from getting a good, full firing grip with my thumb wrapped around the grip and on the thumb safety. So I'm thinking about replacing it.

The C-TAC looks like it might allow this. Because, even though the pictures I've seen show that it covers up the thumb safety, it doesn't cover it so much that I can't get my thumb on top of it before drawing.

Anybody got any insight for me?

#2 · (Edited)
Any holster worth carrying will allow you to get a firing grip on the weapon, if you can't get rid of it. The C-Tac will allow this! This is also were asking questions in a training class help's as to what the instructor recommends.:hand10:

Welcome by the way!

Ti

#3 ·
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Getting a firing grip on any pistol prior to removing it from the holster is the 'goal'...practice should allow you to do this without thinking about it...with MOST holsters...(excluding 'deep' cover types...that I wouldn't use anyway...).

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:comeandgetsome:

#4 ·
I cannot get my thumb onto the safety of my USP in the CTAC.

But, that doesn't mean I don't have a full grip. I can get the backstrap properly positioned in the web of my hand and all 3 fingers all the way around the front of the grip.

With the gun still in the holster, my trigger finger lays down onto my belt and my thumb rides along the back of the slide. As I draw the gun, my trigger finger stays extended and ends up along the frame and my thumb drops onto the safety lever as it clears the sweat guard.

The important thing is that I don't have to shift the gun in my hand or my fingers on the front strap as I daw and move to a firing position.

I suspect this is the exact same situation you will find with a 1911 in a CTAC.

#5 ·
mzmtg explained it very well. I don't think many, if any CC holster will allow all fingers indexed while the gun is holstered. As long as you have a good firm grip and do not have to adjust your grip after drawing you should be fine.

#7 ·
Welcome! I can get a full grip on my 1911 using Gary's (the poster above mine) MaxConV holster.

#8 ·
as has been said, the c-tac does allow a good firing grip during the draw. one thing that bears mentioning is the "adjustability" of the c-tac. if you can't get a good grip at first, try changing the cant a little. you can also switch the tabs to get it lower if it's too high.

and if all else fails and you can't get it right, they sell pretty quick on the used market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.