Dummy Gun For Holster Making

This is a discussion on Dummy Gun For Holster Making within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend that wants to try his hand at making a holster for me. I can't ship him my N-Frame Model 22 to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a friend that wants to try his hand at making a holster for me. I can't ship him my N-Frame Model 22 to get a good fit. Where oh where do you holster makers on this forum get the dummy guns to make your holsters?

I wouldn't consider this direct competition if you are a holster maker. The bloke that's doing this holster is filling a void for me as a favor, saddle making is his thing.

Biker

Thank you.

Biker

I talked to Ken L. Null about why I can use his holsters the day they arrive and I have to break in holsters made by others. Ken's reply was he uses real guns to mold his holsters. Regards, Richard

Here you go, blueguns.

http://www.blueguns.com/

If the simulated gun is detailed with the same specs as a real one it wouldn't make any difference in holster fit.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

rmw
    I have ordered holsters from Milt Sparks , Sam Andrews and Mitch Rosen and I remember Andrews and Rosen both asking me about Duncan's "I live in the same town" they both stated that they used Duncan's molds . I don't remember if the guy I spoke to at Milt Sparks mentioned anything . I am not familiar with the holster making process but it is my understanding that some mfg's use heat and a press so I am not sure if a plastic mold would hold up"blue gun" but I am pretty sure Duncan's are made out of aluminum . If I remember right Mitch Rosen said that Duncan's was only place to get them but I am not sure if he meant quality wise or that they really are the only mfg out there . Tell your buddy good luck . With the current wait times I'm sure there is room for another quality custom maker.

Thank you for the two replies that posted the links to Dummy Guns. I went to the respective home pages and Emailed them to my buddy.

He said that he would be calling Duncan's on Monday.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I use and prefer Blue Guns. I have some Duncans, I have some others that I don't know where they come from. There are good and bad things about each version, in my opinion.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

rmw, if you live in the same town, Bay City, do you deal with Dick Williams in Saginaw? I have spent untold hours shopping and enjoying conversations there. Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    I talked to Ken L. Null about why I can use his holsters the day they arrive and I have to break in holsters made by others. Ken's reply was he uses real guns to mold his holsters. Regards, Richard
    Using real firearms has nothing to do with it. I (or any other maker) can duplicate those results by simply drying the holster with the dummy gun inside. We intentionally fit them snug so that they will break in to fit properly with your particular firearm (individual guns have minute dimensional differences).

Duncan's quality leaves a LOT to be desired, IMHO. I would call John Ring (he's the Blue Gun guy) and see if he has what you need. I am using more and more of Ring's Blue Guns and fewer and fewer Duncans as time passes.

BTW, as a minor side note: Holsters are press molded with very warm water. (The warm temp opens up the pores of the leather and makes 'em mold nicer) However, we are only talking water around a 110-120 degrees. The plastic Blue Guns hold up just fine. (And they are much better in both dimension and detail than the Duncan aluminum dummies).
    Good luck!

rmw
    Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    rmw, if you live in the same town, Bay City, do you deal with Dick Williams in Saginaw? I have spent untold hours shopping and enjoying conversations there. Regards, Richard
    Yep I have known Dick since I was a small child , my father used to bring me out there . I'm not very good with names so it always amazes me how Dick remembers everyone . I moved out of state and had not seen him for at least six years and when I walked tru the door he asked me how my father was doing

rmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Duncan's quality leaves a LOT to be desired, IMHO. I would call John Ring (he's the Blue Gun guy) and see if he has what you need. I am using more and more of Ring's Blue Guns and fewer and fewer Duncans as time passes.

BTW, as a minor side note: Holsters are press molded with very warm water. (The warm temp opens up the pores of the leather and makes 'em mold nicer) However, we are only talking water around a 110-120 degrees. The plastic Blue Guns hold up just fine. (And they are much better in both dimension and detail than the Duncan aluminum dummies).
    Good luck!
    How is Duncan's on $$$ . IMO they are a little higher than average around here , but they do offer an indoor range which no one else in the area has . So as long as they have a rental or used gun in stock you can try before you buy . But so far my attempts to buy a gun there have been unsuccessful

Quote Originally Posted by rmw View Post
    How is Duncan's on $$$ . IMO they are a little higher than average around here , but they do offer an indoor range which no one else in the area has . So as long as they have a rental or used gun in stock you can try before you buy . But so far my attempts to buy a gun there have been unsuccessful
    I really cannot answer your question - I'm in Tennessee, so I've never actually been to Duncan's shop.
    As far as the dummy guns go, Duncan sells them for just under $50. Since they are the only folks making them I cannot really give you a price comparison. (I would gladly pay much more than $50 for a dummy gun, IF I could get decent ones.)
    The Blue Guns (from Rings) are somewhat less expensive, and have much better detail. The only down side to them is that they are made from a really soft polymer, and they will leave blue plastic stuff inside a holster.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Gary,
    What are you using for a press? Are you using a clicker, or a full-fledged press...or something entirely different? And many thanks for the responses!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links