Tucker's "Texas Heritage"

This is a discussion on Tucker's "Texas Heritage" within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering getting a Tucker IWB "Texas Heritage" for my Walther P99c. I would appreciate feedback from members who are using or have used ...

Thread: Tucker's "Texas Heritage"

I am considering getting a Tucker IWB "Texas Heritage" for my Walther P99c. I would appreciate feedback from members who are using or have used this holster. The other possibility is his the "Answer" model. Any comments on which might be more comfortable from those who may have used both will also be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron

Ron, I've got an Answer for my 3" 1911. I considered it and the Texas Heritage to purchase from Tucker last year. Here's where I came out:

1) The Answer is more conducive to 1-handed holstering, given the stiffer outline.
    2) in talking to Rob Longenecker from Tucker, he suggested that the overall thickness was similar between the Answer and Texas Heritage, so that either should be comfortable.
    3) perhaps most telling, I already had a leather IWB holster on order (still do, in fact), so I decided to give a Kydex solution a try.

Now to my experience with the Answer. When I first got it, I was a little bit frustrated, expecting, unrealistically, that it would just disappear and be immediately comfortable, as I had read in other reviews. I found, however, that it took bit of tweaking to get it just right.

1) finding the right carry position and returning to the same spot consistently. This varied a bit, depend on the type of pants I was wearing. As it turns out, about 4 o'clock seems to work best for me.

2) adjusting the cant. In order to get both comfort and the ability to achieve a full combat grip, I moved the rear clip to the center position to get more of a butt-forward position. This also made the reach easier for me.

3) getting a good gunbelt. A belt of around 1-1/2" works well for me. Make sure it's thick and stiff enough to give support.

4) getting pants that fit right. I've found that 5.11 cargo pants work well, about a size larger than I'd wear if I weren't carrying IWB. They have some elastic inserts that allow a little give, which makes it easier to shift, which I've found to be necessary when driving, or sitting in some chairs.

5) getting smooth grips on my carry pistol. The Answer holds the butt of the pistol tight against your body. I found the agressive checkering on the factory grips caused discomfort after a short time.

After working with it for a while and experimenting with all the different options, I've found that it is quite comfortable, and certainly very stable. Stability was a problem I found with my first IWB holster, the Ultra Deep Cover from Galco. While comfortable and concealable, it tended to ride too low and to shift position. The single C-clip just didn't hold it in place well enough.

All in all, I'm now quite pleased with my Answer, and would not hesitate to recommend it. I expect the Texas Heritage would be equally effective. I've also purchased to HF-1 OWB holsters from Tucker, as well as a couple of mag pouches and a gun belt. Quality on all is first-rate and customer service is excellent.

Just to mention customer service, Rob Longenecker even suggested that since they have a no-strings money-back guarantee, one option would be to order both, and then return the one you don't want. I didn't go this route because I knew I'd like 'em both and wouldn't return either.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by rodc13; January 24th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Thanks, Rod. I appreciate your thorough response. It is very helpful.

Ron

I have the heritage for my Bersa 380. It is a very well made holster. I find it to be uncomfortable while in the car but when sitting in normal chairs and walking it is fine. The more I wear it and play with the better it feels. For a while I really didn't like it. It just takes time I guess.

I am using it with Velcro Clips and I think they let it shift around. I am about to order regular clips for it to try. I also find that I have to make sure my belt is pretty tight or the entire rig will start to slide down.

I think for my small gun the heritage was overkill. I think something like the cover up may have been a better choice.

I have two Heritage style holsters from Tucker. One is for a J frame but I bought it to carry my 3" SP101 in and the other for my recently traded Smith 65-5. Both had the kydex clips and were well made and very comfortable to wear.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I have two Texas Heritage holsters, one for my Bersa .380 and one for my Sig 226. They're very comfortable holsters, and the inline clip style is definitely stable. As previously mentioned, the adjustable clip positions is a good thing...my Bersa pretty much disappears as soon as I put it on, but I think I'm going to play with canting the Sig holster a little farther forward, because it feels like the butt sticks out when I bend at the waist. Also (again as previously mentioned), Rob absolutely can't be beat for customer service. The Sig I have is the 226 ST which is railed, and Tucker was able to make me the holster even though it's not on their web site as a supported model. I highly recommend them to you.
    Attached Images

I am doing the Pee Pee dance waiting form my Texas Heritage - been 6 1/2 weeks...web site said 5 -6 wks so I am hoping it gets here SOOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links