Help me choose between these two holsters!

This is a discussion on Help me choose between these two holsters! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help me choose between these two holsters! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have narrowed it down to these two for my XD9 Service. So which one would you ...

View Poll Results: Fist or High Noon?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fist 1A

12 50.00%
  • High Noon Down Under

12 50.00%

Thread: Help me choose between these two holsters!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have narrowed it down to these two for my XD9 Service. So which one would you get?

Fist 1A. I will add reinforcement and a body guard. $56
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm

High Noon Down Under. $70
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...er_w_clip.html
    Last edited by erikd65; January 23rd, 2007 at 12:20 AM.
    CZ 75 PCR
    Glock 19

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I voted for the fist because it seemed to have all the other had with the exception of the shield that goes between the top of the gun and you. Not sure how the slide is on your XD but if it's sharp or rough then I might go the other way.

I'd also at least consider the kydex version of the fist to keep the whole package as slim as possible by you might not like kydex. I've got some kydex holsters and like them for lighter weapons but still prefer leather for heavier guns.

Not to step outside the scope of what you're asking, but I'd also recommend you consider a "McDaniels" IWB from Andrews Custom Leather. It keeps the point of attachment off the front of the holster to keep it as thin as possible. It's hardly much more than the high noon and is a LOT better in quality and likely in fit.

Just a thought.
    God Bless
    Gideon

VIP Member
    Don't have any information about those specific holsters, but for the prices, I'd recommend going with a custom made one from one of the holster makers the site here. Ya just can't beat a hand made, built to order holster. If you can stand the wait time, that'd be my suggestion.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Additional Note...

Fist 1A's have no problem with reholstering w/o the reinforcement...I would recomment the body protector...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    If price isn't an issue I'd go for the "Down Under".
    I like the extended leather behind the gun because I have "dunlaps desease"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I run a monthly combat pistol shoot and have seen a pretty wide variety of IWB holsters in use there. I’ve also used quite a few, myself over the past thirty years or so.

The two things I've seen that are most problematic with IWB holsters are being able to reholster easily one-handed, and having the holster come off the belt on the draw.

I’ve had a lot of folks come to my shoots with holsters without a reinforced opening and have a devil of a time reholstering without first opening the top of the holster with their support hand. This is problematic in that you muzzle-sweep your support hand with a loaded gun when reholstering. Further, in a defensive situation your support hand may be otherwise occupied when you need to reholster your gun.

I’ve also had a good number of folks draw their guns only to find they had drawn their holster as well, and the gun was still in it. Every single one of these had a belt clip like the Fist 1A.

I’d suggest the Down Under because it has the reinforced opening that will allow you to more safely and easily reholster your gun, and because it has a secure enough belt clip to keep the holster fastened to your belt when you draw your gun.
    Last edited by Harold Green; January 23rd, 2007 at 02:32 AM.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If this is your first CC holster, buy the Fist. It's less expensive & you'll probably buy at least one or two more holsters untill you finally find one you really like.

Or you can spring for a custom/handmade holster, & probably save yourself money in the long run.

Mr. Green mentioned how some clip holsters can come off while you draw. This is true, but I believe both of the manufacturers you listed use strong steel clips. I definitely could be wrong, I don't have any personal experience with either manufacturer, but their reputation seems to be pretty good.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; January 24th, 2007 at 08:38 PM.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I think you'll appreciate that slide guard, which prevents the gun from gouging into you on the High Noon holster.

I'd also second the Andrews Mc D II. I like mine for my Kahr. Great fit, WELL made, easy carry angle adjustment, easy to draw and reholster with the smooth lining, metal reinforced. Hard to beat for $65.00. It also available with the slide guard, which I prefer.

I would say Andrews quality is also better than the High Noon basic holster.

Just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by sass20485; January 25th, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Several people keep commenting on the body guard of the High Noon holster, but I thought erickd65 was going to have that added, along with reinforcement, to the Fist holster.

If that's the case, it's really down to price. They're both pretty similar, unless the metal clip is known to be better on the High Noon.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Just wanted to add that neither holster has any visible molding in the holster. They're both so similar, except that you can get the Fist in Kydex.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; January 24th, 2007 at 08:38 PM.
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member

Sponsored Links