Quicklok/Beltloop snap OWB advice

This is a discussion on Quicklok/Beltloop snap OWB advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a new carry permit holder in Minnesota looking for some holster advice. I'll be carrying a S&W 442 and the dilemma is taking it ...

Thread: Quicklok/Beltloop snap OWB advice

Quicklok/Beltloop snap OWB advice

I'm a new carry permit holder in Minnesota looking for some holster advice.

I'll be carrying a S&W 442 and the dilemma is taking it off/on in the car going into/out of work without having to unbuckle or take off my belt (no lectures on securing firearm please as I have safe solution worked out).

I've been looking at the mega holster page and have found a variety of quick release holsters using snaps or patented quick release designs. I won't be comfortable in an IWB so it's going to be an OWB as high ride as possible. No price constraint for something that will be on my side the vast majority of my waking life. But since I'm willing to spend it would be nice to get it right the first time. I can find the holsters looking at the manufacturer’s websites so merely pointing out manufacturers won't be necessary. What I'm looking for is people that have one that works well, the release method didn't wear out quickly, and it's reasonably concealable.

So please any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I have a couple of Blade-Tech magazine carriers with the Tek-Lok, quick-release belt fasteners. These were my daily carry pouches for several years. The Tek-Loks are easy to use and have held up quite well. Blade-Tech uses the Tek-Lok on some of their holsters, as well.

This would probably work pretty well for a small revolver like the S&W 442, but there’s another alternative that may work better for you. Many companies make paddle holsters that have a curved, wide paddle that slips over your waistband and inside your trousers. These are very quick to put on and take off without undoing your belt, and they’re more stable than most of the belt-loop style holsters I’ve used. Over the years, I’ve used several paddle holsters from various manufacturers, and have been very happy with most of them.

I’ve only had one paddle holster I haven’t been happy with, and that’s an older Uncle Mikes holster. Most paddles have small protrusions that protrude under your belt to keep them from pulling out when you draw your gun. The Uncle Mikes holster used a plastic hook that made it very difficult to remove the holster. I looked at a newer Uncle Mikes holster the other day, and it appears they’ve remedied this problem.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I bought a Galco Speed paddle holster for this very purpose a few years ago. While it was fairly easy to remove, it held my 342 too far out while actually in use. After a couple of outings, it became part of the inventory of the proverbial box full of unused holsters that I was determined not to have!

I have the proverbial box of holsters, and so does anyone else I know who has been carrying for any length of time.

This is just one of those things you need to accept as a cost of doing business. Everyone’s built a little differently and has different preferences. A holster that works well for one does not necessarily work well for all.

Just about everyone I know who carries, has gone through at least a couple of holsters before finding the one they like.

By the way, I’ve had a couple of paddle holsters that didn’t hold the gun in quite as tight as I’d like. However, most of the ones I have hold the gun quite tightly in to my side.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have several of the snap on/off design and would bet my life on any of them. Alessi CQC/S, 5 Shot SAP. Del Fatti LP-QS, Sparks NP-3 and Sparks IQM. I love this design as they go on and off in a flash are totally secure, there comfortable and most importantly concealable. In terms of getting one quickly (approx 10-12 weeks), I'd recommend 5 Shot. Also Lightning Arms Sports depending on what type of weapon you have might have an Alessi or Del Fatti in stock. I admire you for wanting to get it right the first time. You cannot go wrong with any of the ones I listed!

First off, welcome aboard!
    In answer to your question, have you considered just wearing an empty holster, rather than taking it off? I do not know of any legal restrictions pertaining to the possession a holster in "off limits" areas.

I have the FIST #2 Snap-On. I'm very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    First off, welcome aboard!
    In answer to your question, have you considered just wearing an empty holster, rather than taking it off? I do not know of any legal restrictions pertaining to the possession a holster in "off limits" areas.
    Thank you for the hospitality... The problem is Minnesota is new to shall issue so the general attitude is "why would anyone ever want to carry one" and "you will never need that thing". That leaves me in a bind as we're an "at will" employment state with an employer that has shown no loyalty to its employees. So long story short I'm keeping it on the low down and will work around company policy to preserve my employment status.

I would love to work where carry is allowed but the odds of finding a company here that allows it in my line of work (IT/Electronics repair) is about the same as finding Hillary at a pro life rally.

Thanks a bunch for the replies so far that gives me some things to look at...

Quote Originally Posted by Inebrius View Post
    Thank you for the hospitality... The problem is Minnesota is new to shall issue so the general attitude is "why would anyone ever want to carry one" and "you will never need that thing". That leaves me in a bind as we're an "at will" employment state with an employer that has shown no loyalty to its employees. So long story short I'm keeping it on the low down and will work around company policy to preserve my employment status.

I would love to work where carry is allowed but the odds of finding a company here that allows it in my line of work (IT/Electronics repair) is about the same as finding Hillary at a pro life rally.

Thanks a bunch for the replies so far that gives me some things to look at...
    I understand your position. I am unfamiliar with Minnesota law, so please check this out for yourself before taking the following advice. I had a job in Florida years ago for a company that was owned by a super anti gun guy from Canada. Under FL law, if I had been caught carrying against company policy, all he could do was fire me - there was nothing illegal about it. So, I left my normal carry gun in the glovebox of my truck, and carried a Kel-Tec P-32 in a pocket holster with me all day, every day. Unless you actually tell someone that you are doing it, I doubt your employer will ever feel the need to strip search you. (And from a tactical viewpoint, a .32 in the hand beats a .45 in the glovebox! ) Good luck!

I have a Mitch Rosen Premier Expressline holster that's fared me well so far, just wearing it about the house (expecting my permit this week). It has a double-snap system, and is solid. Relatively easy to put on, easier to take off. It does take a bit to unsnap it though, which is good. Offers great retention, too.

It's a fairly high-riding holster, and regular length fleeces and jackets cover it well enough standing, but would show the holster (not the gun) if squatting or reaching overhead. An untucked shirt would cover it with ease, but would be bulky being an OWB.

Hope this helps!

Have you concidered a pocket holster for your 442. I have a 642 that I carry in this manner. Makes it easy to disarm if you must with out undoing a belt. I also like the kel-tec solution to the problem. I'm concidering a p-3at for exactly that purpose.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Check out the Defender by KD holsters, they make it in a OWB snap on loop model. Mine is easy on and off the belt. I'm happy with it for my Glock.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    +1 on KD holsters, specifically, check on their Laredo Defender OWB. it snaps on, has some of the very best quality in the market now and is very reasonable and would be perfoect for your 642. Do a search in this forum for "laredo defender" and you'll find some pictures. In fact, I've attached a picture of an SP101 revolver in a Defender so you can see it. I'll be ordering one for my revolver and did ALOT of research. I found some that cost twice as much but none that I could say were better.

Good luck finding what you want...
    God Bless
    Gideon

PS, in this picture, the forum member said the revolver was NOT in all the way, that's why you can just see the trigger
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have to agree with the Laredo Defender from K&D. I carry my Glock 22 in one and could not be happier with it. Holds the gun tight against your body and is very comfortable for all day wear.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Links