Defensive Carry banner

Desantis Break in

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  shunt 
#1 ·
Picked up a new holster from DeSantis for my SP 101. The fit, feel, conceal, and carry are great. But, it's a little on the tough side. It's a thumb snap Millenium OWB.
So what's the best break in method for it ?
The quick draw isn't an option right now. It's kinda stiff. So, any ideas would be a BIG help.:danceban:

TIA,
shunt

#2 ·
Wear it and use it! Seriously, practice your draw with an empty gun and be patient! :yup:

#5 · (Edited)
Holster in original condition straight out of the package.

Bottom picture is after modification. I have worked w/ leather for 20yr, have made several holsters & other leather work goods. When starting to modify a holster do it in very small steps at a time. You can take more off, stretch it farther...but you cant put it back on.

The first thing i did was bevel the belt slots. My gun belt is a Mitch Rosen. If you are going to carry a gun this heavy a GOOD gun belt is a must.
Outside back slot is bevelled at about a 22 1/2 degree angle from waste. Inside back slot is bevelled opposite. This gave my heave belt enough slack to slide on but was still very tight when belt is fastened.
Front belt slot is bevelled the same way so the belt will get through it also.

The holster was extreemly tight. Very hard to draw when belt was fastened.
When reholstering the outside wing had to be pulled out to clear the cylinder then the gun had to be rocked back & forth to get it to go in.
I cut the outside shield off to the back side of the cylinder. I dampened the holster from the inside by wetting my finger & rubbing the top half inch. No more than a half inch. Dampened it until the moisture started showing on the front side. You cannot get the leather to take water from the outside.
I then cut a quarter inch thick piece of leather about a quarter inch wide. Bevelled that at a 45% angle, & cut it long enough to go from the top of the cylinder to the bottom.
Holstered the gun w/ the leather shim between the cylinder & the holster. That gave the holster just enough flair at the top to let the gun cylinder go in easily. If you look carefully you can see where the holster starts to flare out that 1/4" from the top outside. Bevell the outside peice of leather so the cylinder will slide in easily. There is still plenty of grip on the gun from the portion around the rest of the cylinder, frame & trigger guard.

How do I like it now? Fine. It is a good holster for what I intend it for. Field carry. Sweaty hard work time when I dont want to wear my Tucker. It is a good $50.00 holster. I will never modify a really good quality expensive holster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.