I think I just got turned on to shoulder holsters.

This is a discussion on I think I just got turned on to shoulder holsters. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at a local shop today browsing around and dreaming and spotted a cheap uncle mikes Pro-Pak horizontal shoulder holster for 25 bucks. Figured what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: I think I just got turned on to shoulder holsters.

Was at a local shop today browsing around and dreaming and spotted a cheap uncle mikes Pro-Pak horizontal shoulder holster for 25 bucks. Figured what the heck I'll try it for $25 and if I like it I'll get a nice Galco. Been wearing it all day and so far I love it! No more fighting with my holster to put my seatbelt on (real-estate is not in abundance in my vehicle), it fits in just the right spot and if it weren't for the nylon I think it would be 100 times more comfortable. I think a Galco rig is in my near future.
    rugergunner and Las Vegan like this.

VIP Member
    Iíve always liked a shoulder holster for long distance driving; I carry a Colt Detective Special in an ancient Bianchi upside-down holster while on the road. This is the same type of holster I used on active duty and I have never had the gun dislodged no matter what I was doing.

P1010188.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Very nice, I spend probably 3/4 of my day in a car at work so it should work out pretty well. Have yet to have the gun dislodge in any holster so far. Dislodged myself once when trying to show off to my daughter at the park. She jumped off the swing so I tried to go farther, the barrel of my Beretta caught the swing chain on the way off. It ended with a classic mid air 360 and a face plant, that holster is now in the garbage and that's the day I picked up my black hawk pancake holster that covers the WHOLE barrel.

VIP Member
    google "worlds best shoulder holster" and watch the you tube by weapons education, comparing his custom vs mass produced shoulder holster (Galco). Pretty impressive.
    Goldy49 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by MR.Hussman View Post
    Was at a local shop today browsing around and dreaming and spotted a cheap uncle mikes Pro-Pak horizontal shoulder holster for 25 bucks. Figured what the heck I'll try it for $25 and if I like it I'll get a nice Galco. Been wearing it all day and so far I love it! No more fighting with my holster to put my seatbelt on (real-estate is not in abundance in my vehicle), it fits in just the right spot and if it weren't for the nylon I think it would be 100 times more comfortable. I think a Galco rig is in my near future.
    I've been waiting since Wednesday for the same thing (UMP-PHSH). I got mine off Amazon with (mostly) Discover cash-back bonus "money" and free shipping. It's good to hear that you like yours. I know it won't have the fit and finish of a $80.00+ leather one, but I'll at least be able to get an idea if, and how well, my P229 would hide.
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; Rock River Arms LAR-15 Elite CAR A4
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"

You might have to change some things around on it as mine came out of the box assembled backwards, as in the holster itself wasn't even facing the right direction. Took awhile to figure it out because at first glance it looked right and if you put it on thinking it's assembled right, the strap across the back was way up on my neck when the holster itself was pointing the right way. Easy fix though, just had to undo the straps and spin the holster around to get everything the way it should be.

The belt straps are elastic and they might as well not even be there. Got them synched up as tight as they go and everything is still swinging around, stole some straps off an old backpack and going to try and swap out to those tomorrow. It's definitely not a long haul holster but it will let you know if you like shoulder carry or not.

When I worked in the Crime Scene Unit of the Homicide Division, we wore coveralls with PD patches, sewn-on badges, and the unit insignia…there was no belt and all of us wore nylon shoulder holsters…I carried a Sig Sauer P220 in a vertical holster…on the opposite side is wore a double horizontal magazine pouch with compartment in the back side of the magazine pouch to hold a Smith and Wesson stainless steel knife…dangling off the magazine pouch was a snap loop carrying handcuffs.

I wore it for gosh knows how many countless hours on some scenes without a thought….very comfortable.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Truth is like a lion. You don't need to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself." St. Augustine

If your handgun is even fairly heavy (1911-weight), you will find it tiring to wear a shoulder holster for any length of time. It pulls down on your shoulders and possibly presses on a nerve.
    An armed society is a polite society--Robert Heinlein via The Guru
    You cannot invade the United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass--Admiral Isoruku Yamamoto, IJN

I have long been a proponent of shoulder holsters. Had one for my Walther PP, and for my Colt Commander back when. They were comfortable to wear. Very concealable and easy to get too. The PP was little more than a leather covered spring clip. Great little holster.
    Last edited by cliffhangernlv; November 9th, 2014 at 12:14 PM.

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    My Alessi Bodyguard shoulder holster has become my usual daily use one for my full size 1911's. The straps on my Galco were to narrow to suit me. A quality shoulder holster is comfortable and easy to use. A cheap one is, literally, a pain. Spent the time necessary to fit it to your body. Wear it for a couple of days and readjust if necessary. I've never needed tie downs; they don't allow the holster to "float" with you body movements. Wear it as high up as is comfortable for you; this aint a TV show. Enjoy.

I would highly recommend a Lobo shoulder holster really good quality and really nice price.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I’ve always liked a shoulder holster for long distance driving; I carry a Colt Detective Special in an ancient Bianchi upside-down holster while on the road. This is the same type of holster I used on active duty and I have never had the gun dislodged no matter what I was doing.

P1010188.jpg
    Is that thing still made? Ima want one.
    LeftofMars likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Living down here in where it feels like a furnace most of the year, I can't imagine what I would wear over the shoulder harness to conceal it. This is not to say I would not like to wear one, I just don't know how to pull it off.
    oldnfat and LeftofMars like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: ďDonít be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.Ē

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    Is that thing still made? Ima want one.
    I think they discontinued them in the late 1980s but Nevada Gun Leather makes one similar to it.

Upside Down Shoulder Holster
    scottync likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.Hussman View Post
    I have a Miami Classic, and it is great. The only drawback is if your pistol is large, you can have some poking through your cover garment, but if your kinda fat like me, no problem! Lol.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links