New holster, new question........at least from me.

This is a discussion on New holster, new question........at least from me. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a beautiful leather holster being made for daily wear. But I live on an acreage and want to carry while brush-hogging, building, cutting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New holster, new question........at least from me.

I've got a beautiful leather holster being made for daily wear. But I live on an acreage and want to carry while brush-hogging, building, cutting and splitting wood, etc. So I don't want a fancy holster on my side to scratch up. Got a new Blackhawk Serpa today. Never worn a holster before, so started playing around with exactly where I want to carry it. Ended up feeling like 3 o'clock was "my" position. However, that means threading the belt through one side of the holster, then through the belt loop on my pants and then the other side of the holster. What a pain in the butt! I know there's no need to ask if there's a better way to do it, but if you've run into this particular problem in your "journey" and solved it another way, I'd sure like some splainin'. (as Ricky Ricardo used to say)
    Chris

VIP Member
    Move the offending belt loops.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    That's exactly how I do it with my Desantis pancake for my 92FS. A bit of a PITA, but I'm not taking it off and on all day, so it really isn't a big deal.
    JDE101 likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I always make sure a belt loop is on each side. It makes it all feel more stable, and when drawing the belt loop keeps my belt and breeches from riding up.

Distinguished Member
    This is the reason why I seldom use my many OWB holsters. There is an answer. There are holster makers out there that make an OWB holster with two straps with snaps. Easy on and off. There is a lot of controversy with the Blackhawk Serpa. A few cases of unintentional discharge reported and some training schools banning them. Google it and make up your own mind. For outdoor rugged use, check out Simply Rugged. His holsters are made for hard use.
    hick63 and Recon1342 like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

If that's the way it is, that's the way it is. It won't move far that way.
    It's not so much of a pain once you get used to it. I'd rather thread an OWB through a belt than finagle an IWB into my waistband.
    rdunawaytx likes this.

if you are going to be carrying out in the fields and woods, an OWB holster cant be beat. I would personally prefer leather mysdelf , nothing fancy though. Just a good solid holster with good retention. If you will be on equipment and such, a thumb strap may be a good idea as well. If you want plastic, a good kydex owb will keep your gun close and secure. I have been wearing a hooch holster, made locally, owb and I have been really digging it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

BBI
    I would not use a Serpa in the conditions you describe. If you get a sliver of wood or other debris behind the button, your gun is locked in the holster. It will remained locked until you fish out the offending debris. For routine carry in an urban environment this isn't much of a concern, but in a rural setting where you're dealing with small bits of wood, gravel, etc, it could be a problem.

As for the belt loop, its how I wear it. Fishing it through the belt loop then pushing the holster back so that the front slot is against the belt loop gives me consistent positioning and, combined with a proper belt, keeps it from shifting even if you're moving around a lot.

I'm with Old_Dog on the safety of the Serpas. It looks great on paper, but think about actually drawing. You push on the release with your trigger finger right over the trigger guard. What are the chances that the pressure continues through your draw with your finger on the uncovered trigger?
    "I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length."

Get a paddle holster.
    BurgerBoy and kukla like this.

Lead Moderator
    I used a Serpa for years while hunting , camping , shooting with no issues with locking up. Also the military used it quite a bit too. Blackhawks makes a paddle attachment to replace the loops. As for the safety issues , if you practice and train your draw , I don't see a problem.
    I switched to a Safariland laminate holster because
    1. I covers the safety and mag release more.
    2. I seems to sit closer to the body than a Serpa.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

BBI
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I used a Serpa for years while hunting , camping , shooting with no issues with locking up.
    It's one of those issues that's not an issue until its an issue. Our range staff routinely evaluates gear for our use, from holsters to body armor to firearms. During their testing a small bit of gravel got into the holster locking mechanism and the holster had to be taken apart to release the gun. This was deemed unacceptable for our purposes, as finding yourself fighting on the ground with an exposed holster and the introduction of debris into the mechanism is a real possibility. That may not be a concern for others, especially carrying concealed for self defense purposes only. However the failure rate is higher than zero, and Murphy being who he is I'd like to eliminate the possibility. Others have different requirements and may decide the trade off is worthwhile.
    Recon1342 and denclaste like this.

IMO, as a maker and carrier that is THE best way to do it. It pulls the OWB holster in tighter to the waist with the loop behind it. Any flop you might experience is fixed with the belt loop as an attachment. Is it a pain? Sort of. Is it the best way I've found to carry OWB? Yes. I actually make most of my holsters wide enough to jump the gap so I can get 2 belt loops behind it on my Wranglers. Wears rock solid that way.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

First time I've heard such comments about the safety of the Sherpa. I have a friend who is a local Sheriff and she uses one as a daily carry and she's never mentioned any concerns. I've been practicing with it and my finger rests very naturally on the release and when the pistol is raised, it falls naturally on the slide..........above the trigger. I've not had one incident where the finger fell into the trigger guard. But upon hearing this is a possibility, I'll be practicing even more diligently to gain the muscle memory that will keep me from the area of the trigger. Thanks for the warning.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    IMO, as a maker and carrier that is THE best way to do it. It pulls the OWB holster in tighter to the waist with the loop behind it. Any flop you might experience is fixed with the belt loop as an attachment. Is it a pain? Sort of. Is it the best way I've found to carry OWB? Yes. I actually make most of my holsters wide enough to jump the gap so I can get 2 belt loops behind it on my Wranglers. Wears rock solid that way.
    Thanks for addressing my original question chiefjason. I'm getting used to the slight inconvenience now and tend to agree.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links