Defensive Carry banner

Appalachian concealment sale

22K views 230 replies 49 participants last post by  ScreaminBagger 
#1 ·
Appalachian concealment, another site supporter, has holsters on sale as well. $45 plus shipping, I had to order one for my shield. Can't wait till it gets here to try it out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#135 ·
I think Glockman's Appalachian Concealment review really touched on sitting while carrying one of my AIWB rigs.

One thing I really worked into the design was to have minimal material under the muzzle, in the dust cover area. Out of all the AIWB rigs I owned previous to making my own, that was the one many makers failed to address. The dust cover area is what contacts your thigh while seated or squatting with an appendix carried gun. The single loop attachment point also gives just a tiny bit of movement or tilt to the holster/gun and allows it to move slightly out of the way when seated or squatting while still offering the grip in a presentable way to draw.

I remove and smooth as much material as possible from the dustcover area, one way I accomplish this is to do away with the traditional Kydex holster retention adjustment screw and bushing. It adds a bit more work for me to do that, as I have to go back after molding and re-heat, and perfect the fit/draw, but doing so really slims the holster down substantially.

On a shorter gun like the Shield, Baby Glocks, or XDs it isn't really as meaningful, but I designed my holster to conceal a fighting sized gun in the appendix position, because that is what I prefer to carry. The G19's, Sig P229's, etc. in the 4"-5" Bbl range, a slim profile where the barrel meet your thigh while seated is imperative for comfort.

Here is the pic you requested earlier:

There is a sweet spot in everyone's physique for an AIWB holster to ride, for some it's closer to the centerline at 12:30, for others it's closer to 1:00-1:30, you can see in the pic how the wedge I mold into the face of my holster pushes the grip in tight, aiding in concealment.

#137 ·
Well you guys in this thread are a VERY BAD INFLUENCE!

I'm a new guy around here but have been lurking for a while. I saw this thread and just fell in love.

I am new to CCW and am trying out all different styles of holsters. So far I've got a sticky, an alien gear 2.0 ordered and now I see this!!!

Matt did not have a mold for my glock 42........WELL NOW HE DOES!!

I just sent him one!! Pics to follow for sure!

All you guys (or gals) with a g42, you can now feel free to order up from a company that's makes what seems to be a great product and has in my opinion AMAZING customer service!!! He answere every question I had in a matter of MINUTES!!!

I can't wait to show off my new set up!

Thanks for your help Matt.

Caleb.

#138 ·
Well now Matthew03 if I had a spare forty five dollar bill floating around here free and easy I might be a wantin' one of your handmade holsters but being the goofy old phart I am morphing into I'd want MY holster to have (IDK what you call it so I'm winging it here) I'd want it to say Appalachian Concealment dot com somewhere's where folks would notice it.

Here's why: Back when I was more Hippie than ******* I read a lot and listened to the tapes that those college kids were making for the Foxfire series of books back there in Appalachia doncha know... One could say a seed was planted. Well I reckon I'll just mosey on over yonder.

:cowboy:up!

Reactions: matthew03
#139 ·

Here's why: Back when I was more Hippie than ******* I read a lot and listened to the tapes that those college kids were making for the Foxfire series of books back there in Appalachia doncha know... One could say a seed was planted. Well I reckon I'll just mosey on over yonder.

:cowboy:up![/i]
Ha! I had that whole series of books at one time, something like 26 volumes or so. I can't say I read every story, but there was plenty of interesting knowledge in there. My favorite was the step by step log cabin build.

I think if a guy read the whole series, he easily had the knowledge to be a true professional mountain man.

#140 ·
Does anyone else have one of "those" days. I got up super early to get a holster to the post office that was a re-build from a faulty Sig P239 mold; (undersized). I had two holsters to get out by tomorrow so I start to work on what should have been an easy day. It was the day from HE-double hockey sticks or at least it was the holster from HE-(DHS). :mad:

I prepped the G17 mold for a G19 holster, cut the Kydex, heated it, got it into the press, etc. when I took it out I noticed a split in the Kydex right at the trigger guard, (scrap that one). Frustrated now I start the second, every thing goes great, comes out of the press formed beautifully, cut it to shape, even it up on the belt sander, buff the edges on the sisal wheel, sand with 250 grit, 500 grit, 1000 grit, admire the beautiful buttery edges, insert the G17 mold to drill the rivet hole, press the rivet, remove the G17 mold to insert my actual G23 to check fit and size... Why is the muzzle protruding 1" from the end of this holster? :mad:

Because I cut it too short, that's why. :yup: At this point I decided I needed a nap, and would start my day over, (one of the benefits of working for yourself).

Wake up and start the next slab of Kydex in the oven, still frustrated at myself. Get it into the press, but when it comes out one side of the Kydex had risen up over the trigger guard, back into the oven for a re-do. It came out perfect the next time, got it all sorted out. I worked all day to produce what is quite possibly the easiest holster in the history of firearm holsters to produce, that being a Kydex holster for a Glock.

I'm done for the day. :danceban:

Reactions: SAXDM9
#142 ·
Great to see you getting your name and product out there Matt! Last spring I contacted you about a holster for a BP9CC but the company you got your molds from didn't have one available yet. Any word on if they have the BP9CC mold yet? If so I think I'm going to have to take advantage of the "mold for holster" deal!

#146 ·
I remember our conversation about the BP9CC, let me do some searching when I can get on my laptop and see what I can come up with. Probably be later tonight, is that OK? Thank you for checking back on that as well.

Reactions: DJC7
#147 ·
Thank you, since the Shield is potentially pocket carry-able I elongated the Rig and curved the front edge so that it would ride correctly in a pocket if you chose to do that. I had an idea come to me when building these that may add to this type of holster's usefullness in the pocket... Watch for an update. :image035:

Reactions: ChAoS84
#144 ·
Matt, I've also seen other companies make something similar to your non permissive environment holster with a clip so it can still be attached to the belt. Have you tried anything like that yet?

#148 ·
I have not, It's just personal preference, but I prefer a full feature holster, that I can draw and holster while in the waistband in the vast majority of circumstances. On the occasion that I carry with a Non-Permissive Rig, (forced to tuck my shirt in), I prefer it to come out with the gun on the draw, rather than staying in the waistband.

I could make a minimalist rig with a loop, I just find the loop unnecessary. The loop adds a bit of size to what I find is perfect without. I like that in the current configuration you can hide the para-cord behing a belt loop on your trousers and have no noticeable trace of an attachment point to be observed. A loop would compromise that.

Being a one man shop, I don't get as much R&D time as I would like, (Teaser Alert), After the OWB is released, :35: I have plans for a cut down IWB/AIWB that will offer all of the features of what the current IWB/AIWB does with minimal Kydex. It should fall in-between the current offering and the Non-Permissive, Minimalist rig in size.

Reactions: DJC7
#145 ·
Ordered mine yesterday. Only waited this long so I'd know where to send it, we're travelers. Thanks to this forum for great info about carry, and introducing me to Matt. Funny how we can support a local craftsman on line from 700 miles away. Love the internet! And looking forward to seeing my Appalachian Concealment AIWB when my order comes up. Y'all keep Matt busy but not too busy, hear?

#152 ·
Look at what my buddy Dustin Osborne just released (Ozarks Holster Co), it's a competition holster with a Tec-Lok belt attachment. They don't ride super, super close due to the Tec-Lok, but they are close enough to conceal under a jacket, coat, etc; very easy on/off.

Reactions: DJC7 and Mikedare
#154 ·
Two more going out from Appalachian Concealment in the AM: P938, and G26. My biggest regret is Taurahe doesn't live closer, I would have artistic, and excellent quality photographs to put up. Of course if he did you probably wouldn't see as much work coming from either of us, due to the constant flow of Craft Beer I would have to bribe him with. :yup:

Reactions: PAcanis and DJC7
#156 ·
That's not bribery, that is work performance incentive... I would do a lot for good beer.

Those holsters look great Matt. Some folks are lucky to be getting those!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#155 ·
Let's talk about manual safeties on guns carried in Kydex. I don't carry a 1911 as often as I once did; for about 12 years of the 20 I have had a CCW, that was all I carried. I still have a warm spot for the U.S. Martial Single Action Automatic, but these days I more regularly carry a Glock or Sig. I still own a Government Model Colt Combat Elite, but she resides in the table beside my recliner.

The majority of my Kydex business is polymer guns, Glocks, S&W M&P's, Shields, etc. One of the many things I enjoy about Kydex is molding holsters for guns with manual safeties so that they are not only locked in the on position, but so that they can slide out of the holster with the safety forced into that position until it clears the slide guard. Now don't go sliding off into "I'm going to reply that holstered guns are safe!" or "Safeties don't just flip off on their own!", etc. I'm not arguing those points I am just admiring that having that safety encased in hard shell polymer, so that it cannot move is a nice feature that I appreciate as a designer.

I've never found a 1911 with single sided safety to have slipped into the fire position while I have been carrying it. I have heard of guns with ambi-safties doing so by the lever being bumped or flipped accidentally from a seat back or clothing. When I carry a SA gun this isn't something I ever worry about, but as a Kydex bender I enjoy taking the time to mold around these levers so that up and down movement is impossible, but drawing or holstering the gun the safety has a nice channel to slip into before the gun is seated.

I just finished a holster for a P938 which has an ambi-safety, that lever will not be getting pried off accidentally while holstered. Not that it would really matter if it did, as long as the gun's owner followed all of the rules of safe firearms handling...

#158 ·
Yours and five other people's are ready to go, only I can't get out of the parking lot; snowed in good. I'll have pics up tonight. The G42 turned out really nice.

#160 ·
Got mine today, more than a day earlier than promised. Way to go, Matt! Gun accessory

Wore it all afternoon on my Glock27, against a t-shirt and against bare skin. Minimal to no printing, and totally comfortable. Glad to have a beautifully configured AIWB for my G27, and really happy at how comfortable it is. Sitting or standing, not in my way. Smooth edges, nice shape, the gray looks nice too.

Great product, low price.

Jim

#169 ·
I've got two more products on order. Getting geared up for warm weather carry.
Can't say enough good things about my AIWB for the g23.

It has changed my way of carry for good. AIWB all the way for me!

Reactions: Taurahe
#170 ·
Just be patient with me guys. The announcement of the price increase has swamped me a bit. Working on Feb. 21 orders right now, the last few orders in, (GMan, I think you are right at the end of the list), are looking at an end of the week, next week ship date. I'm sorry to say, I think the overnight holster turn arounds are a thing of the past right now. Good for me because I can eat better. :image035:

Reactions: Mike1956 and DJC7
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.