small of the back holster

This is a discussion on small of the back holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a small of the back holster with knuckles in for Springfield xds 45 Any thoughts?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: small of the back holster

Looking for a small of the back holster with knuckles in for Springfield xds 45 Any thoughts?
    hammer1270 likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. I have about every holster known to man except an ankle holster and one for small of the back. At my age I'm not flexible enough to reach down efficiently to my ankle. I don't use a small of the back carry because of concern about back injury if I were to fall on it. Heard some horror stories but some swear by them. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but again, welcome.
    oldman45 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

SOB holsters are no good. Period. Hands down.

I speak from experience. First of all, they are uncomfortable. Put one on and then sit down or go for a drive. Gun is now digging into your spine. If you fall, gun is now breaking your spine. If you try to draw, it takes one hand on your elbow to stop the draw, as you have very little leverage. And of course, you are at the mall, sit down for a burger, finish the meal, get up and leave. When you sat, your coat or shirt that you had covering the gun rode up. When you stood, it got hung up on the gun. Now you are wandering around with you shirt hooked on your gun, on display for all to see. And everybody sees it. Except you.

I'll repeat myself: Don't do it. No redeeming qualities. The Don Johnson/Mel Gibson "cool" factor is for the movies only. Trust me. I used to do it. And it was awful.

Dangerous location. Not recommended.
    oldman45, PhaedrusIV and FlaRon like this.

Here we go again...

I have carried IWB/SOB, but not on the spine, just slightly off to the right with a palm out grip. Not my first choice of carry position, but it can be used.
    I've only done that on different occasions where I needed a different kind of concealment. Sitting and/or drawing was not a problem...like anything else, it take practice. One can reach back and with a cover shirt, grasp your firearm without the firearm being seen.OMO
    As the negative responses filter through (for the last half-dozen years), I always ask for articles showing people injured by that kind of carry...still waiting.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

mayyyyyybe for a BUG, slightly off center on the strong side. but from my experience, for EDC it is very slow and impractical.
    Last edited by vice87; December 8th, 2014 at 08:11 AM.
    oldman45 likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

A car accident, struck from the rear, OUCH!

Tor
    Get you a decent IWB and put it anywhere between 3:30 - 4:30, and you're all set. As others have pointed out, SOB is not a good position for a gun because of possible retention-, retrieval- and injury problems.
    PhaedrusIV and oldman45 like this.
    Native Norwegian Viking
    RNoAF Vet
    "Powered By Nature"

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    When necessary, carry in the small of the back is fine. I do it often and have no problems with carrying there - it's usually a matter of dress and activity that dictates that I carry there.

I have two very nice leather holsters, one that is IWB non-tuckable and one that is IWB tuckable. The tuckable is a smaller holster and can sometimes go in the SOB position, but to tell you the truth if I have to carry back there I'm usually wearing my N82 holster - I have three N82's, one for each weapon that I'm likely to carry. The leather chafes and can hurt back there, but the N82 has a great leather backing to it that is comfortable, and the holster retains fine and clips on just fine.

So .... my .02. It's only back there if that's the only place I have for it, no fancy holster.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Difficult position to defend and access IMHO.
    oldman45, PhaedrusIV and WHEC724 like this.
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

VIP Member
    I have never heard of anyone being injured due to carrying SOB, but the method has enough shortcomings that I discourage it. The gun cannot be defended against a grab or a stuff, it is difficult to holster after drawing, and can be easily exposed, undetected by the carrier, by a shifting cover garment. It also makes for a very (at least for me) awkward, uncomfortable draw.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member
    OK that is all out of the way. To answer your question a left hand inside the waste holster with no canter will fill your needs.

What works for one person will not always work for another. I hear people talk about you can't defend and hard to get to. Yet they talk all day about how great an ankle holster is. I want to hear how easy that is to draw and defend.

I am still looking for that one article that tells about riding a wheel chair because of carrying in the middle of the back.

There are several makers that call this type of carry their Texas carry holster.

What a person carries how they carry it and what holster they use is not short on forum posts yet how many of us have those holsters in a drawer that we were sure were what we wanted.

Welcome and I hope you have a great Christmas.
    denclaste and farsidefan1 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    OK that is all out of the way. To answer your question a left hand inside the waste holster with no canter will fill your needs.

What works for one person will not always work for another. I hear people talk about you can't defend and hard to get to. Yet they talk all day about how great an ankle holster is. I want to hear how easy that is to draw and defend.

I am still looking for that one article that tells about riding a wheel chair because of carrying in the middle of the back.

There are several makers that call this type of carry their Texas carry holster.

What a person carries how they carry it and what holster they use is not short on forum posts yet how many of us have those holsters in a drawer that we were sure were what we wanted.

Welcome and I hope you have a great Christmas.
    I'm not sure who they are, but I steer newbs away from ankle holsters for the reasons you listed, as well.
    hick63 and hammer1270 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The Galco MOB holster seems to be top of the list. I've carried MOB plenty when I was on the farm. It was better than SOB carry by far for me and more comfortable than building fence or stacking hay bales while wearing a shoulder holster. I carried a Ruger P89 and a full size 1911 this way.
    Options are always good. Nobody should limit your options. The only way to decide if it's a good option for you is to try it.
    As the years pass, some holster makers quit making what doesn't sell very much. Back in the day there three or more well known holster makers that made a MOB model IWB. The SOB OWB models still seem to be prevalent however. I just could never twist my wrist that way to grab hold with palm inward. Palm out is a much more natural draw angle at least to me.
    Whenever this subject comes up, most folks say that you will end up sweeping yourself with the muzzle during the draw rather than claiming possible back injury. I found that to be untrue as well.
    My suggestion is to not get easily dissuaded by what others say even though opinions have a value of their own. Something to try here, try carrying your (unloaded) pistol in the MOB fashion without a holster while at home and see if it's going to be comfortable and accessible under any conditions you might think of. Then decide if you want to drop $60+ on a good MOB IWB holster. Cant (rake or sweep) is going to be a factor as well. IMO, the best is with the grip nearly perpendicular to the body (you are vertical and the grip should be horizontal).
    Anyways, welcome to the forum.
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Many agences forbid SOB holsters. Too many injuries from them. A friend of mine lived the rest of his days in a wheel chair due to being wrestled to the ground by a suspect he was apprehending. He never walked again after falling to the ground, landing on his back.
    PhaedrusIV and vice87 like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links