Another "Tuckable" and alternatives thread

Another "Tuckable" and alternatives thread

This is a discussion on Another "Tuckable" and alternatives thread within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Gary, I ordered an inexpensive nylon IWB tuckable holster for my wife to practice with and decide if this is going to be the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "Tuckable" and alternatives thread

Hey Gary, I ordered an inexpensive nylon IWB tuckable holster for my wife to practice with and decide if this is going to be the method in which she will carry. She is new to CCW and her wardrobe demands that she tucks some of the time. My intention is to purchase a custom IWB tuckable holster. I was on your website and did not see a tuckable holster. If you do not offer one, which would you recommend?

Thanks J.S.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Hey Gary, I ordered an inexpensive nylon IWB tuckable holster for my wife to practice with and decide if this is going to be the method in which she will carry. She is new to CCW and her wardrobe demands that she tucks some of the time. My intention is to purchase a custom IWB tuckable holster. I was on your website and did not see a tuckable holster. If you do not offer one, which would you recommend?

Thanks J.S.
    Howdy!

I truly despise the entire "tuckable" concept, and there is no such holster on the planet that I would recommend. Here's why:

Gunfights are vicious events that often erupt with little warning, and at extremely close ranges. "Tuckable" holsters require your weak hand to rip up your shirt tail as your gun hand struggles with drawing the firearm. This is a time consuming process - usually 2-3 seconds for an accomplished shooter, and a close quarter engagement can be over before that much time has passed. The result? You'll be dead with a gun stuck in your pants.
    Furthermore, your "weak" hand might be busy - you may need to hold an attacker at arm's length who is attempting to field dress you with an edged instrument as you draw and fire. Or, you may need to push your wife/child (or in her case, multiple children) to cover, as the weapon is drawn, or perhaps break a fall as you are going for cover, drawing simultaneously. None of these can be accomplished with a "tuckable" - this type of holster makes you choose between covering/defending & fighting because you cannot do them at the same time. This is an unacceptable choice. There are bunches of other options to choose from. This would be my last choice before going unarmed.
    Another consideration is that women can rarely wear a holster designed for a man. I would recommend something designed specifically for the female anatomy. We have such a holster in the works now. I believe that some other makers have women's holsters available as well. Please feel free to give us a call for a free phone consultation to discuss possible options (423.733.1779). Good luck!

Ron
    Gary,
    You say there are bunches of other options to choose from. Can you please elaborate? Assume one lives in a hot climate and wears a tee shirt most of the time, and the carry gun is a bit too big for pocket carry.

Thanks.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Gary,
    You say there are bunches of other options to choose from. Can you please elaborate? Assume one lives in a hot climate and wears a tee shirt most of the time, and the carry gun is a bit too big for pocket carry.

Thanks.

Ron
    Howdy again!

My First choice would be a pocket holster for something like a Kahr PM9, Rohrbaugh, Seecamp or even Kel-Tec P-32. Any time that you feel even slightly concerned, you can casually slip your hand into your pocket and get a firing grip on it without attracting attention, escalating the situation or going to jail on a brandishing charge. From that postion, you can brainpan an attacker in about a half second - by far the fastest possible presentation from concealment. Cargo shorts work GREAT for this, btw. If your gun is too big for this, buy another gun. This is life and death - don't try to save a few $ when so much is at stake.

Other choices would include a bellyband, Smartcarry (much better for women than men) or even a small, light shoulder rig worn under her top (if her clothing will conceal the straps). Another choice would be a fannypack - but get it in a bright neon kinda color that makes her look like a victim, rather than like she's packin' a firearm.

Thanks for the info, we may have to consider a smaller gun at some point. It's not going to be easy as she loves her G26. My wife is a very small women 5'4 115lbs and I am having trouble concealing anything on her that doesn't print. Although I am very happy that she has taken a high interest in protecting herself and our kids I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to change her wardrobe. Someone suggested that she could wear men's pants, that's not going to happen. She will be using a fanny pack sometimes. She actually wants to carry IWB if possible. We would be interested in looking at the holster you have in the works for the female anatomy when you complete it.

Thanks again JS & AS
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    It's not going to be easy as she loves her G26. My wife is a very small women 5'4 115lbs and I am having trouble concealing anything on her that doesn't print.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to change her wardrobe.
    Thanks again JS & AS
    I agree with Gary on downsizing the pistol. She may still find it difficult to conceal even a small pistol though. When customers call me (man or woman) looking for carry suggestions, I typically ask their normal mode of dress. I have had quite a few women respond that they would be wearing things like beltless form fitting light weight slacks most of the time. I'm not sure you could hide a Seecamp inside the waistband much less a Glock. It's certainly not unusual for both men and women to want to look nice in their clothes. Unfortunately, womens fashion without compromise does not lend itself to concealed carry on or in the waistband whether it's dress slacks or hiphugger blue jeans.

I built an under the bra holster for a customer who wanted to carry a SC J-frame hooked to her underwire bra. It's an effective carry position for her since she has a large bustline. Other than that, I again agree with Gary on considering pocket carry or belly band type holsters.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    My wife (5'7, 135) carries a S&W Gunsite Commander in a Alessi DOJ or CQ/S. This is her fall/winter carry gun and it conceals quite well under a light jacket with jeans which is her usual attire. In spring/ summer she usually switches to a Walther P99c in a version of Matt Del Fatti's SLP/F. again, with a light shirt or even untucked t-shirt the weapon is unnoticeable. It took her sometime to find a concealed carry combo she was happy with other than purse carry.

VIP Member
    I am with Tony on the part that you have to have a weapon, Gary. It's the gun you don't have that bothers me. In the summer here in Boise, with 100 degree days, you can't wear a cover garment. Yeah, I know, wear your shirt untucked. I can't, got to have it tucked. If I have it tucked over my weapon, then I keep my SA high to recognize my threat so I can prepare and make ready. I agree it is a big disadvantage, but I can make allowances to minimize the issue.

Mitch
    Last edited by Chorizo; February 4th, 2007 at 01:06 PM.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    An important thing to remember is that a tuckable holster can be worn both tucked and un-tucked.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    If I may steer this back on topic...

It would seem that a little gun that is easier to access is better than a big gun that is encumbered by a tucked shirt. However, two guns can sometimes be better than one. One tucked and one in the pocket seems ideal in this case.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    If I may steer this back on topic...

It would seem that a little gun that is easier to access is better than a big gun that is encumbered by a tucked shirt. However, two guns can sometimes be better than one. One tucked and one in the pocket seems ideal in this case.
    Agreed. I would have much less of a problem with a "tuckable" holster if another firearm was available in a pocket holster. My concern with the tuckables is the time constraints imposed by them, as well as the need for a two handed draw. Having a second gun available would alleviate at least some of these concerns. Good post.

Lead Moderator
    I think alot would depend on your wifes dress code. I wear different holsters for different clothing options.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    To quote the well worn phrase - it has to be ''what works'' - and so many things like dress options, work factors, travel factors even, all contribute to choices or lack of them - then body type too.

I would if really necessary even try tuckable if that was all that worked ..... that is why I have maybe three times over 2 plus years used a Smart Carry - only option at the time altho no way my ideal choice.

Sometimes despite us wanting to avoid the dreaded box of holsters, the only way is to try a few methods - and see if they work. I cannot avoid spare rigs because I had to try some before knowing if they'd work.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i was thinking the same way. i love my cougar but it's easy to carry now. it's winter and it's jacket/coat season. although if it's off, a high wearing holster can cover it with a t-shirt. it's obvious what it is but technically it's concealed (use your own judgment on that one, i do.) but summer time, i am going to get a smaller gun. just remember, you don't have to down grade caliber for overall size. i know i won't.

The problem I have with a smaller gun. Under the Glock 26 size I think you really start sacrifising accuracy and reliability. I had a PM9, while it carried great it's reliability was questionable and was difficult to operate for my wife. The Rohrbaugh; where do find one of those to even look at. Kel-Tec; I have little confidence. Seecamp; just to light. I love to see H&K, Glock, Colt, or Springfield make a PM9 size 9mm.
    I think the PM9 is the perfect size for a female carry. I just wish it was of higher quality.

J.S.
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links