Defensive Carry banner

WARNING: Cleveland Kydex Co (buyers beware)

20K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  denclaste 
#1 · (Edited)
On 11/08/14 I ordered a Kydex IWB holster from Cleveland Kydex. Their web page said 3 day turn around. A week later it was still in "pending" status. I was dealt with rather rudely and informed that they currently has 12 day turnaround.

Still, not really upset because 12 days is not bad at all. 3 weeks later the order finally went from pending to "prefabrication" then to "fabrication". We are now over a month and when I inquired again via their chat feature I was dealt with VERY rudely and even "banned" from the PRIVATE chat.

Did a little research and found others with the same experience. Hate to be this way but feel a duty to warn any of you who stumble across them that you are in for a ride and some VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE if you choose to do business with them.

Others have filled Reports with BBB. All a company has to do is BE HONEST and set REALISTIC expectations. If it is going to take 2 months just tell me. But don't lie and then be rude.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
As of the past hour this morning, their opening web page reports the following:

"CURRENT SHOP TURNAROUND - The shop is currently running 15 days behind scheduled lead times.

(If lead times change during high volume periods, those updates will be posted here. Thank you.)"

No telling when they changed that statement, there, before or after your own order experience or the chat exchange.

#4 ·
If something sounds too good to be true......

I make holsters on the side. I always build in some screw up/off time into my estimates. If I deliver early, they are happy. If I deliver on time, they are still happy. I'd rather lose a sale over the wait time than lose a bunch because I can't stand up to my own estimate.

#7 ·
If something sounds too good to be true......

I make holsters on the side. I always build in some screw up/off time into my estimates. If I deliver early, they are happy. If I deliver on time, they are still happy. I'd rather loose a sale over the wait time than loose a bunch because I can't stand up to my own estimate.
I have had more than one great holster maker lose my business because they jacked me around on delivery times. In fact, their inability to deliver in a timely manner is a large part of why I now make my own holsters.

#6 ·
You probably should have taken them up on the offer and just canceled. With all the quality holster makers there are, there's no real reason to put up with poor service. Most of the larger reputable holster makers have a bit of a wait though so if you're looking for one fast, then you're going to have to take what you can get or find the small guy who has a solid reputation for standing by his word.

#9 ·
I've been amazingly lucky in my dealings with custom holster makers. Not once have I been lied to or jerked around. All have delivered before or on time. Nelson, Sparks, OGL, Alessi, and Bullard have all proven to up to the task and a pleasure to deal with. I have never bought on price, only on quality.
You should consider yourself fortunate.

#11 ·
I've been pretty lucky as well. The only real problem I had with an unexpected delay was when that seller of 1911's on GI cashed my check, then left for the gun show circuit before shipping.
I'm a big believer in being upfront with your customers.

#12 ·
I've waited 26 weeks for a leather holster maker to get me the product in the past. If it's what I want, I'll wait. Last knife I ordered took two years to get, delayed 3 months and couldn't be happier to wait the extra time knowing I ordered what I wanted.

If they were rude, drop em. No need of that, when some things I've ordered were delayed and I called, never got the rude response, just an apology and please stand by we're getting it out as fast as we can as an answer.

#13 ·
I've yet to purchase a leather holster but I do understand they take a while. The only experience with a custom kydex holster maker was Cooks Holsters. Mine came a week before the 3 week stated turn around time which was nice. Kinda funny they would ban you over something like that. If you haven't already, I'd just cancel the order.

#15 ·
I look at things maybe a bit different . All on this forum know we have suppliers here with us that contribute to the forum and make a wide range of products as well as holsters .

I will be ordering from the people on this site because i know they have a vested interest in making a good product , fairly priced and will handle any issues without the blink of an eye .

That is why i buy from the vendors here .

#19 ·
Same here. I try anyway. I never did hear back from the vendor who sells 1911 grips, even when I posted in their forum.
That's just as well I figure. I try to ask a question or two of any new company I'm trying out. I judge by their response time and answers if we'll be compatible.

#17 ·
There really are so many quality holster makers out there though, that dealing with one that's not friendly or nice is something no one needs to do. If you order from SHTF or N82 or Remora you'll see a holster show up in the mail in very short order.

The only times I've waited are on the three custom leather jobs I have and use.

Reactions: Hopyard
#21 ·
In the screenshot above they seemed professionally polite until you chose to vent on the person dealing with you through the chat. it is unfortunate that the wait time listed was not representative of what they were able to do. However any custom product has a potential to be delayed. Whether it is a holster or a dog collar- it is a part of the game. If the person usually gets 10 orders a week and opens their email to find 75 in a day, there is going to be a wait. If the craftsman wakes up one morning with a stomach virus things are going to get delayed. It is the nature of the best.

I understand being frustrated. Several years ago I ordered a belt, holster, and some mag pouches for a pistol I had just picked up. Was heading to Arizona for some training and picked the holster I did because they promised to deliver to me on time. The product arrived three weeks after I got back from the trip. I have not, and will not use the company again. (But I do wear the belt regularly. It is the only leather belt I own or wear that isn't from Looper.) But even while I was angry with them I knew that it was a possibility before I made the order. Luckily I was able to find an off the shelf holster that was more than adequate.

#22 ·
They did seem polite until the vent, but I also believe they went overboard .... banned? Really? For just that? I'm not sure about that ..... probably more a matter of that chat helper having had all they could take for one day, as I'm sure the OP was not the first person that vented if they are really behind like that.

Reactions: DingBat
#23 ·
What Type of holster was it? What make/model was the holster for? If the holster is for a common gun, then a resonable timeframe should be in order. If it's for something they don't get a lot of orders for, then I'm sure they're tooling up to make a certain number of those type holsters.

I just got this from their website.

PLEASE EXCUSE THE DUST

The Cleveland Kydex Company Has Moved To Our New Facility!

We have completed the move to our new, expanded facility. This will allow us to offer even faster turnaround times, an increased product selection, and lower overall cost to you, our customer! The lower pricing can already been seen within our holster and sheath selections!! We have been able to keep our previous location running in tandem with our new expanded location in an effort to minimize impact to our current order queue. We apologize for this small inconvenience while we work to make your shopping experience even faster, more customized, and as always, repeatable.

Maybe the explanation above is why your order hasn't come to you yet.....See if they'll make one for another gun you have.....at THEIR expense...or maybe a customer credit for another holster in the future.....
Just a thought, as you'll get more flies with honey, than with vinegar

#25 ·
I created this account solely for this review

I am a member on the 1911forum and elsiepea amongst other forums. I created an account here solely to warn other customers against Cleveland Kydex.

My fiance ordered me a holster for my XDM5.25 and Tlr-1 back on 12-2-14. With the 20 day lead time Cleveland Kydex quoted, she was hoping I'd receive it by Christmas. While I will agree that was pushing it a little close, I will not agree that receiving my holster 1-20 - 15 is acceptable.

Unfortunately that is when I received my holster. And while I was disappointed with the 30+ day delay, I was excited to receive it... Until it didn't fit. I sent the holster back to Cleveland Kydex (on my dime) in hopes of receiving a proper replacement. Eventually they did send a replacement...

Now 2-12-15, I have received the second holster that does not fit my weapon and light. I have emailed Cleveland Kydex and am waiting for a response. Do yourself a favor and go with a more reputable company.

#26 ·
Personally I have had good luck with my Cleveland Holster. I was told about a 4 week lag time but received it in less than 3 weeks. It was for a Bersa Thunder and it fits the pistol well. The holster is comfortable and very adjustable in terms of ride depth and can't of the pistol. Very few people knew I was carrying when the Bersa was my EDC. Those who could were other CCWers who recognized the belt clips.

#27 ·
I should have done my research. I ordered a Cleveland Kydex holster June 2, it arrived today, July 11.

During the three week long processing time I called them asking to remove the 15 degree forward cant. That fell on deaf ears, the cant is in.

The belt loops weren't attached and I had to install them myself, an easy enough task. The screws are just painted black. The screwdriver chipped off the paint on all four screws. It looks like crap.

The holster is for my FN 57 Mark 2, a wider gun than the older model. The holster seems quite tight making me think the mold was from the older model.

My son bought me a LAG Tactical holster for $69. The opening is wider to accept the Mark 2. The fit and finish is of much better quality.

I really blew it when I ordered the $65 plus shipping Cleveland Kydex holster which will wind up in my junk drawer.

#28 ·
Yes Mike, with custom leather holsters I have been. Other items, not so much. I have received the wrong brass, wrong weight bullets, a die set with no dies in the box, and assorted other SNAFU's. I even had 600bdft of yellow cedar show up when I had ordered 600bdft of spar grade Sitka Spruce. Ever tried exchanging a lumber order? A absolute PITA, to say the least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.