how tight do you wear your gun belt? - Page 2

how tight do you wear your gun belt?

This is a discussion on how tight do you wear your gun belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Snug for me. I want minimal movement, but with some margin of comfort while seated....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how tight do you wear your gun belt?

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Snug for me. I want minimal movement, but with some margin of comfort while seated.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I've only been carrying in public for a few days now, but I have noticed that with my wilderness instructor belt using OWB I have to get it fairly tight or the dang gun sags too much. Then it tends to rest weird on my hips and annoy me. IWB is a little better.. however I need a holster that will stay on the belt with it not being as tight. I have a crossbreed qwikclip that I love. But it needs the belt somewhat tight otherwise it slips back and forth. So I need a holster with two clips to stabilize and keep it locked onto the belt.

I'd love to be able to loosen the belt up a tiny bit.. but I don't think it'd work. I think the only way to have the belt a little looser and still comfortable.. is to get a lighter carry gun taht won't pull so much on my waist.

Two ways. If supported by just the belt, it is tight enough that the pistol doesn't sag or feel like it's slipping as I move about thru the day. On the other hand, I often wear a pair of Perry www.perrysuspenders.com suspenders which are ideal for carrying a weapon. That way I can use less tension on the belt, hence more comfortable and my eyes don't bug out.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I use the perrysuspenders a lot of the times. I also only use a good quality gun belt when carrying. You will find that you will not have to pull your belt as tight with a good stiff belt. The suspenders do make it a lot more comfortable. I am 5'11" and 200 lbs.

I use a Wilderness belt and have recently learned a valuable lesson. I'm overweight and out of habit I like to keep my belt where my waist used to be. That hurts my back (I have back problems)

I have learned that if I adjust my belt so that it's under my belly, but still above my hips it snugs up just fine, and does not hurt. It will also stay there all day once I learned to leave it alone.

For the first week or so I felt really self conscious, like my pants were going to fall down. It'll never happen, it just feels that way. The belt is no tighter that before I carried, just in a different location.

Holdcard

I don't wear my pants overly tight to begin with, just enough to keep them in place. When wearing most IWB & gun rigs I'll loosen my belt one notch to allow for the extra "companion." I like being able to breathe and feel the blood getting to my legs, overly tight jeans and belts just make me uncomfortable all day long and it really isn't necessary unless you're packin' a howitzer.
    Jack

The main thing is use a belt type recommended for use with a carry rig. A proper belt will make a WORLD of difference in you being comfortable, and satisfied with a belt carry system. I wear a 1.5 inch leather belt with a kydex insert. No comparison between it and a regular dress type belt for carrying.
    P.E.T.A = People eating tasty animals

There is room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    True that, mikeyinokc. A proper belt will change your perspective!
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member
    I wear a good quality belt, IWB at 4:30 and tight enough to keep the belt from sagging from the weight, but loose enough to be comfortable.

If I carry one of my heavier pieces or plan on being active, I add suspenders. These that go around the belt are what I use and they are quality. They work like the perry suspenders but are sturdier (I have used both but prefer these over perry). all in all, I wear the suspenders about 60% of the time to keep from hiking my pants and grabbing things too much.

http://www.wyomingoutdoorcatalog.com...page_number=48

Bottom left hand of the page, style A.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    I generally wear a belt "and" suspenders.
    I fit the belt just tight. Then fit the suspenders to carry the weight of pants, gun, ammo, knife, wallet, cell phone, etc, etc if the belt slips. The suspenders also hold my pants up if I have to unbuckle the belt for any reason.
    I like your thinking! Can I get a Hell Yeah for suspenders!

What kind of suspenders do you wear? They ain't the ones with the clips...are they?

I personally have a pair of Carhartt's and a pair of Filson's. Both of these have the leather tabs that connect to the pants by way of brass buttons applied to the waistband. The leather tabs are as thick as any holster leather out there! I have some that I wear when I dress up, but the leather tabs on those are significantly thinner.

BTW...there are 2 kinds of fatboys...the kind that WEAR suspenders, and the kind that SHOULD wear suspenders!

Now if I could only talk my chief into letting me wear 'em on duty...

Chorizo, they do look like great 'spenders, I especially like the belt loop style. Henry suspenders though, do have some advantages over them. For one, and the big one for me, is that when wearing an overgarment, since the Henry's clip to your belt with an underbelt hooklike attachment, you can drop trou without removing the overgarment, also since they are clipped to the belt, you can adjust the location on your belt as weight changes occur.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Tight enough to hold the holster and gun properly.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Just tight enough that the pants don't start to slide down or sag during normal activities--walking, running a little, bending over.

Usually if I have to hike up my pants more than once during the day the belt gets tightened a notch.

kpw
    Tight enought that the holster doesn't come up with the gun. The belt makes all the difference. Cheap belts have to be tightened too tight to work at all. A good quality gun belt doesn't have to be tightened as much to work as designed. 12-16 hour days are easy with a good rig, couldn't stand half that with a poor one.
    Suspenders? Really?

I am bringing this post back from the dead.

I am waiting on my custom IWB so in the mean time I am putting my G26 in a Don Hume OWB rig with a good heavy Pistol Belt from Gunners Ally. While I like the holster it comes with a 1 3/4" slot and I am using a 1 1/2" belt so it is not perfect.

Anyway, for normal use over the past month I have been pretty happy. However the grip of the 26 seems to stick out a bit more at the top than I would like making it print a little when I need it to conceal better at work. Cinching the belt up a notch tighter solves this issue but is very uncomfortable and after a few weeks is frankly more than I want to endure.

I think I have solved the problem but I am quite sure I have broken all the rules in the "leather holster manual of use". Yesterday as a test I tried reversing the belt and running it over the holster in stead of behind the holster. I know, I know it was not designed for that but it seems to ride very close and tight with much less squeeze around my waist. It may not be pretty but it is working so much better that I thought I might share the info with all of you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links