how tight do you wear your gun belt?

This is a discussion on how tight do you wear your gun belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I am new to carrying. When you're carrying your concealed handgun, how tightly do you wear your gun belt? I mean, do you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how tight do you wear your gun belt?

how tight do you wear your gun belt?

Hi all,

I am new to carrying. When you're carrying your concealed handgun, how tightly do you wear your gun belt? I mean, do you wear it just tight enough that the gun/pants doesn't sag, or do you pull it that extra notch so that the gun is nice and tight against your body, and your gut and/or love handles start getting squished out the top of your pants? (Sorry to be so graphic. ) I'm not real overweight (6'2", 210lbs), but I could definitely stand to lose about 15 pounds, especially around the middle.

Also, do you tend to wear your pants a bit higher on your waist when carrying on your belt? I tried this, and it does tend to conceal the gun better.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

2. Remove Ads

Let me further clarify that I currently use an IWB holster.

Chris

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I cinch mine to the third hole which is the measurement that the majority of the makers recommend. You don't want it too tight on an IWB as it could inhibit your draw. Go with what you feel comfortable with, you'll figure it out, theres no magic formula!

I'll put my pants on, then my holster (no gun) and belt. Apply the necessary tension to keep my britches up then holster the gun. That tends to take care of everything. I wear my pants and jeans exactly the way that I would if I were not carrying. Two reasons: first, it is simply more comfortable the way I wear them. Second, even if I am not carrying (which isn't that often), there is no difference in my dress. I know it is a subtle thing that most would not notice, but for those that are paying attention, they see nothing different.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am 6-0 and 200 and i wear mine between sag and squish , but then i have been carrying since tight pants were the style , and a tighter waistband does not bother me . If you find your britches arround your ankles its too loose , if your collapsing the steel band on your garonteed one hand reholster ninja rig then its too tight , anything in between pretty much works lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Well, the Wilderness belt I use doesn't have holes, but I carry pretty tight. I want it tight enough to keep my IWB holster in place, particularly when I draw. If the belt is loose and you've got a tight holster, trying to draw can pull your pants up, rather than pulling the weapon out.

Tight enough so when I draw as fast as possible, the holster doesn't move.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Assistant Administrator
    Seems like at 200 (and a bit!) and 6.00 I am in the RR category - and same too with my belt.!

I have posted pics of my Eagle Defender a few times, with admittedly an old belt then but - there is an obvious slight sag. However, this still permits the rig to stay tight in and does not give any problems at all. If I cinch that one extra hole then I am potentially reaching slight discomfort and really, little to be gained.

I don't see a need if body type allows, for going too tight - as long as everything is comfortable secure and the rig does not try to follow the gun on a draw!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I generally wear a belt "and" suspenders.
    I fit the belt just tight. Then fit the suspenders to carry the weight of pants, gun, ammo, knife, wallet, cell phone, etc, etc if the belt slips. The suspenders also hold my pants up if I have to unbuckle the belt for any reason.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Suspenders is a good idea; maybe I'll try that. After trying several different belts and carry positions I decided that pocket carry is the best for me.

practice. nothing feels right right away for more people....

I pull my belt tight enough that I instantly have to pee or I won't be able to pee... depends on the fullness of the bladder. Then, I wait for my legs to get numb and I back off one notch...

Really though, I place it tight enough to have the rig not move when walking or drawing but not to the point that it digs in or causes pain.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

Lead Moderator
    Mine tends to be a bit loose. just enough that when I sit down it tightens up a bit more.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The Instructor Belt...

makes it a lot easier to 'firm' up the IWB carry. I like it tight...
    I have never had a problem with my Fist holsters...either on the draw or the reholster...

The firmness?...tighter than if I did not have the gun...this keeps the weapon stable and well hidden...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I go as tight as I can stand it. I don't like things to move unless I tell them to move
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links