Carry options while mountain biking

This is a discussion on Carry options while mountain biking within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dr. told me I need to really start ridding my bike due to arthritis in my knees. I have been ridding around my neighborhood but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Carry options while mountain biking

Dr. told me I need to really start ridding my bike due to arthritis in my knees. I have been ridding around my neighborhood but to be honest I'm getting really, really, really bored just ridding around here so I found an area that is kind of a small nature preserve with around 12 miles of trails that I can bike on. Normally on my neighborhood rides I would stuff my M&P Shield into a small holster and then put that into a bag on my handle bars, but as this preserve is kind of out of the way I really want to a.) carry on my body and b.) carry either a full size pistol or maybe even a revolver in 357 mag. due to the wildlife out there (bears, panthers, bob cats & gators) but I'm more worried in all honesty about the 2 legged animals as a few years ago some guy went to one of these isolated nature trails and some guy came up shot and killed him and took his car.

I have tried on body CCW Crossbreed, Remora, Highnoon etc, but IWB while ridding in the FL heat causes some major discomfort I'm finding so my thought is some type of OWB concealed carry. Here's what I'm considering and I'm wondering if anyone here has used these or if anyone has any other suggestions.

Safepacker Holster, Ranger Green

Belt Pouch with Concealed Gun Holster : CraftHolsters.com

THERMITE VERSIPACK Tactical Nylon Gear Hip Waist Bag with Leg Strap

Thanks in advance.

I use a Tommy Gun Pack.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I use a tactical t shirt with under the arm holsters built in to carry several different weapons. my ruger 357 fits nice, I used it last week when I was down hill skiing. it worked great.
    something like the 5.11 Tactical: Men's Holster Shirt. I have carried larger guns in it and smaller like the 357 lcr. and all work well. I would just practice drawing it for awhile to get used to it. I was able to get it down to a fairly quick draw.
    Stay sharp.

I ride between 50 and 100 miles per week on a flat bar road bike. I use a small handlebar bag to keep my phone, garage door opener, J Frame 642, a $20 bill, and DL/CHL id's. I normally don't like off body carry but it works great for me. The bag easily comes off the bike and has a shoulder strap if I need to leave the bike. My saddle bag contains a flat repair kit, spare tube, tire levers, a small cable lock, and a bike multitool.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

"It is madness for sheep to talk peace with a wolf." -- Thomas Fuller

I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    I ride between 50 and 100 miles per week on a flat bar road bike. I use a small handlebar bag to keep my phone, garage door opener, J Frame 642, a $20 bill, and DL/CHL id's. I normally don't like off body carry but it works great for me. The bag easily comes off the bike and has a shoulder strap if I need to leave the bike. My saddle bag contains a flat repair kit, spare tube, tire levers, a small cable lock, and a bike multitool.
    This is very similar to what I'm currently doing, I put what ever gun I carry into a holster and then put it into my handle bar bag. But I'm worried that it really isn't accessable if I ever needed it in a hurry and as I mentioned since I'm going to try out these trails that I just found which seem to be kind of remote (although to be honest the couple times I went by with my kids last week walking the place was pretty busy with people biking and hiking) so I'm a little worried about being unable to access my firearm quickly if needed and a couple years ago a hiker was shot and killed by some illegal who wanted his car and that was in a very out of the way hiking area.

Quote Originally Posted by NYADK View Post
    I use a tactical t shirt with under the arm holsters built in to carry several different weapons. my ruger 357 fits nice, I used it last week when I was down hill skiing. it worked great.
    something like the 5.11 Tactical: Men's Holster Shirt. I have carried larger guns in it and smaller like the 357 lcr. and all work well. I would just practice drawing it for awhile to get used to it. I was able to get it down to a fairly quick draw.
    My only concern would be wouldn't I have to wear a shirt over it to conceal it?

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I just posted this up in a similar thread about biking. I do my fair share of mountain biking and am going to get this in the very near future.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I just posted this up in a similar thread about biking. I do my fair share of mountain biking and am going to get this in the very near future.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers
    I was going to post the exact same link. I've always wanted one of these for running and outdoor activities.

Distinguished Member Array JDavisArk's Avatar
    Fanny pack
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    I second the fanny/waist pack idea, works for me and has for many years!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Thanks, for all the replies. I decided to order a Safepacker on the advice and a review by someone I know in another Carry Group. I'm also going to order the Hill People Runner's Kit Bag as it looks like a good option for a very long ride not to mention a good option even when traveling on a long road trip and sitting in a car where reaching your firearm can be tricky.

I went for a ride yesterday and took my old 5:11 fanny pack just so I could carry with me but I did find out several things I really didn't like about it, even though it has elastic bands to hold the barrel they don't work worth a crap, on a full size 1911 the pushed the grip too far back and I couldn't zip it up, I tried a full size M&P but the rail kept getting stuck on the elastic, I tried a Sig 320 but I found I could manipulate the trigger and make the gun fire through the pack (scarry) I ended up taking my CZ 75 Compact and just left it lose in there as I couldn't get it to work with the elastic bands. When I came home the wife says oh I see you have a gun in there I can see the outline!!! Ooops.

On a side note I didn't get to ride the entire trail or even 1/2 of it for that matter, I was riding along and most of these trails are grass, They do mow them but not overly, and due to all the trees it was very shaded and I was wearing sunglasses and all of a sudden I found myself about 20' away from a 7'-9' gator lying right in the middle of the trail. I had to slide my bike sideways to stop. I was hoping he would move off so I hung around for about 10 min but no he just kept looking at me kind of the way I look at a nice juicy steak, so I decided to just turn around as he was covering around 1/2 the trail and even though his head was the end off the trail I know they can whip their tails as well as turn very quickly.

Again thanks for all the advice I think I've found a couple options that will work well, I'm really looking forward to getting the Kit Pack.
    NYADK and Lotus222 like this.

not really, the smaller guns disappear right into the pocket and it just sorta looks like a sports shirt. I even a carried a full size 45 in it and it was not visible. I did wear a zip up hoodie over it when skiing but that was for the snow. Good luck
    Stay sharp.

You may need something like this as well.

The Hill People Gear Kit Bag has a place to affix the cordage.

I hope it works for the OP. I personally have two of the HPG Kit Bags linked above. They're awesome!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links