Looking to get into making kydex holsters, any recommendations on a toaster oven?

Looking to get into making kydex holsters, any recommendations on a toaster oven?

This is a discussion on Looking to get into making kydex holsters, any recommendations on a toaster oven? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks to Jon at PHLster I've got a pretty detailed list of hardware and consumables needed to get up and running. One question I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Looking to get into making kydex holsters, any recommendations on a toaster oven?

Thanks to Jon at PHLster I've got a pretty detailed list of hardware and consumables needed to get up and running. One question I have is what is a good model/brand of toaster oven to get?

Here is my list of items to get.

Hardware

-Toaster Oven /Oven
    -Heat Gun
    -Book press (Philster Facebook Page has instructions on how to make one)
    -Non-contact Thermometer (Harbor Freight part # 93984 Syntech $23)
    -Scroll saw
    -Belt Sander (wide belt)
    -Rivet Press Harbor Freight part #3551
    -Rivet Die Knifekits.com part #KYRDJS
    -Rivet Die Guide Knifekits.com #KYRDJS-DG
    -Buffing Wheel
    -Drill/Press and Drill bit that matches the size rivets
    -Pliers tooltopia.com part # KD3888 $17

Consumables

-Kydex
    -Rivet Eyelets Kifekits.com part #KYSR9-100 0.93 (works great on all three thickness sizes….060, .080, and .093)
    -Foam USAknifemakers.com 12x24 $23 or knifekits.com 12X24 $21
    -Sandpaper 3M prograde
    -Chicago Screws/Binding Posts (McMaster-Carr part number #96640A123 Black Screws $100/ 99024A327 Binding Posts $10/25)
    Selecting Kydex Thickness = .060, .080, .093
    -.060 Thinnest and flexible
    -.080 Medium Thickness, more durable
    -.093 Extreme Thickness, extreme durability, difficult to make total definition

Instructions (assuming all of you other tools are ready/set up)

1. Measure out Kydex Squares for desired gun
    2. Trace gun image on both pieces of Kydex (this is where you determine cant)
    3. Trace then cut space away around gun grip (prevents Kydex from fighting the shape)
    4. Slowly heat one piece of Kydex in an oven to about 350 degrees, checking overall temperature with thermometer (at the same time heating foam press pieces)
    5. During the last few degrees of oven heating, start to heat gun so it’s not cold to the touch. ATTENTION: THE GUN DOES NOT NEED TO BE HOT only “not cold.”
    6. Once the piece of Kydex is sufficiently heated, place it on the press and place your gun in traced image.
    7. Place top part of press on top of gun, apply pressure, and evenly clamp down press and leave for 10-12 minutes
    8. Remove press, check for inconsistencies in Kydex form and shape
    9. Repeat steps 4-8 with second piece of Kydex (be sure to mold the correct side or you will have to reheat the piece and remold)
    10. Measure or determine where you want your rivets to run, the riveting step will be completed later
    11. Clamp both Kydex pieces together and using a belt sander, sand the edges even all the way around the closed parts of the holster
    12. Clean, buff, and otherwise finish the edges to desired final finish
    13. Mark holes for rivets
    14. Drill holes for rivets
    15. Thoroughly clean the inside “gun surface” of the holster to insure no burs, snags, or overall deformities exist
    16. Press rivets in rivet holes
    17. Using heat gun, form holster ends to desired shape for body fitment
    18. Make belt loops
    19. Finalize fitment of gun in holster using a heat gun slowly to ensure the gun fits snugly, has good retention, but doesn’t snag.
    20. Attach belt loops
    21. Enjoy holster!
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

VIP Member
    I use a generic cheapo toaster oven with tray.
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

What size would I need? Would just the regular small 4 slice toaster oven be enough to handle a holster for a full size firearm? Say a Glock 22 for instance?

Thinking of getting this one..http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Applica...58?type=search

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    What size would I need? Would just the regular small 4 slice toaster oven be enough to handle a holster for a full size firearm? Say a Glock 22 for instance?
    My largest holster dimensions, for a 1006 S&W required the kydex blanks be nine inches by seven inches starting out. An oven which will accommodate those dimensions should do you fine.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

VIP Member
    Don't worry about trimming your blanks to size starting out, either. You are going to be re-heating and re-aligning quite a bit, particularly early on.

How do you heat your foam and blue guns? With a heat gun or are you able to set them on top of your toaster oven? Thanks for your help.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    How do you heat your foam and blue guns? With a heat gun or are you able to set them on top of your toaster oven? Thanks for your help.
    You can set your foam face down on the toaster oven to warm it up. I don't worry about heating the mold gun, especially since I am often molding off a real gun.

Your think this one would be any good?
    Walmart: Black & Decker 4-Slice 2-Knob Toaster Oven, Silver
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

I admire you guys for thinking out of the box and doing your own stuff.

That said, is it not a lot of expense and work when you could just buy one like you need?
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I admire you guys for thinking out of the box and doing your own stuff.

That said, is it not a lot of expense and work when you could just buy one like you need?
    Yeah I've bought my fair share of holsters no doubt, it's just there is always something I personally would've done differently as far as the design aspect. And aside from that I think it would be a heck of a lot of fun!

And who knows if I do well maybe I'll attempt to sell a few.

I'm subscribing to this thread.

Keep us posted on your efforts. Pics would be great, too
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

It can be fun to do. While sanding , wear a respirator mask and at least safety glasses. Heating a blue gun will make some of it come off and stick to kydex at times. Also blue guns may not always be exactly dimensionally correct depending on caliber/model.
    Riveting shells together , then sanding / buffing works better IMO. Use a small sanding drum and Dremel for small areas .
    Feel free to PM me If you have questions .
    guitarzNgunz and Mike1956 like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I've molded quite a few shells for my hybrid holsters. One step that helps me get a better fit on the gun is to cut out a hole in a piece of half inch plywood in the shape of the gun, but slightly bigger (1/4 inch all around). This is then placed between the gun and kydex to make a more consistent edge, and ensure its square all around. May not need to do this for a kydex only holster, since you are sandwiching the gun in between two pieces of kydex.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

The temperature you list to heat to, 350* is for .08" Kydex, for .06" that is too hot, for .093" that isn't hot enough.

The toaster oven Brand doesn't matter, but realize none of the temperature dials are anywhere near accurate, use your laser temp gague often, because overheating the Kydex even slightly ruins it.

I am not a fan of heating the mold or the foam before pressing, it greatly shortens the life of both. Unless you are working from an unheated shed or garage in winter, everything is warm enough.

Rings Blue Guns are not exact sized copies of the gun they represent, they are not your best source for molding full Kydex holsters from. They also require a huge amount of taping/masking. Multi-Molds are pre-masked with a sight rail molded in, and are exact copies of the gun they represent.

Another tip, forming belt loops from Kydex is not the most durable option. Injection molded loops/clips are much more durable than Kydex. One thing Kydex does not do well is flex repeatedly, it forms a seam and eventually cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    The temperature you list to heat to, 350* is for .08" Kydex, for .06" that is too hot, for .093" that isn't hot enough.

The toaster oven Brand doesn't matter, but realize none of the temperature dials are anywhere near accurate, use your laser temp gague often, because overheating the Kydex even slightly ruins it.

I am not a fan of heating the mold or the foam before pressing, it greatly shortens the life of both. Unless you are working from an unheated shed or garage in winter, everything is warm enough.

Rings Blue Guns are not exact sized copies of the gun they represent, they are not your best source for molding full Kydex holsters from. They also require a huge amount of taping/masking. Multi-Molds are pre-masked with a sight rail molded in, and are exact copies of the gun they represent.

Another tip, forming belt loops from Kydex is not the most durable option. Injection molded loops/clips are much more durable than Kydex. One thing Kydex does not do well is flex repeatedly, it forms a seam and eventually cracks.

Awesome, thank you for the tips. Those multi molds look great!

So for my first holster I'm probably going to just use my M&P compact. What do I need to do to prep my firearm to make a holster? Do I use painters tape on the slide, tape a dowel rod for a sight channel, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links