So Confused...

So Confused...

This is a discussion on So Confused... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Brand new to CC and handguns here. I'm leaning towards a pocket pistol (Glock G42, S&W Shield 9mm, Bodyguard .380 or Bersa Thunder .380 are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: So Confused...

New Member Array ParishNotCounty's Avatar

So Confused...

Brand new to CC and handguns here. I'm leaning towards a pocket pistol (Glock G42, S&W Shield 9mm, Bodyguard .380 or Bersa Thunder .380 are the ones I keep coming back to) because in the summer I cut grass and do yard work for extra income. In southwest Louisiana, that means being soaked with sweat from sunup to sundown. I already carry a lot of stuff on my person, and I don't need a lot of extra weight. Plus the heat rash and all that stuff makes me worry about carrying IWB. Any thoughts on a good pistol and carry method for these conditions?

Thanks!

VIP Member
    There is no one right answer. Particularly in the summer, Glock is all I carry because it can get wet, get sweated on, and it's fairly resilient and reliable, and I don't care what it looks like.

I don't pocket carry often, mainly because I use my pockets (keys and knife in right front, phone in left front, wallet in left rear). I prefer a good holster inside the waistband, not only for the concealment, but it also doesn't get snagged on things. It's hot here in SC too, and I've yet to have IWB bother my skin one bit. After years of trying different carry locations all over my body, I've settled on 3:30, just behind my right hip blade.

Whatever you choose, just make sure that trigger is protected. I wish you the best in finding what works for you.
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.

Welcome! I love your screen name, too funny.

Honestly any of the guns you mention will fit the bill for you. I think most people consider the Shield a little too big to be a true pocket gun, but then I suppose it depends on your pockets. I prefer the Shield out of the ones you mention because it's a little bigger and 9mm as opposed to the .380s you mention but a lot of people carry .380s now and are perfectly happy with them.

For carry, Remora makes a good holster that can be used as a pocket holster but I vastly prefer an all kydex, single clip IWB. With a good one you get used to it and forget about it. Get one with a sweat shield that will help protect the gun from sweat but recognize the fact that you're going to have to wipe it down daily if you sweat on it daily.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

welcome!

I guess i would suggest some kind of smaller polymer wonder(double stack), a good solid gunbelt, and an OWB Kydex holster would probably be the most comfortable since you already carry a lot of stuff. definitely OWB and Kydex in that sticky heat.

I can't recommend a gun or caliber(except for 9mm or up. skip .380). those will be up to you, what you can handle, shoot well and what you can afford. good luck and be prepared for all kinds of advice and suggestions! try not to be overwhelmed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

VIP Member
    Ruger LCP .380. Small, functional and reasonably priced.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Are you wearing shorts or pants. If you are wearing pants an ankle holster may be a solution.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You are worrying about problems without experiencing the problem.... Stop putting the cart before the horse.

None of the guns you mentioned are really pocket guns and are better suited to holster carry. The shield is what I carry and with an good IWB holster it is not even an issue. And for comparison... Indiana summers are usually in the 90's with super high humidity. I detest humidity and have no issues. Part of carrying is trying g different things and learning what works for you. Asking for the perfect answer will actually confuse you more than help in the long run.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Old Sarge, Norm66 and gatorbait51 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    Is your gun only going to be used for pocket carry? How often are you going to practice with it? Are you a experienced handgunner? All this matters because while pocket carry is a viable option, it has its drawbacks. Also, for people who are new to handguns, the smaller the gun the more difficult it is to use accurately. Many small guns are a pain to shoot, literally a pain. If you carry it, you must practice frequently with it to become proficient in it's use. 9mm is the least caliber I would consider for self defense. Ammo is readily available in the cheap practice rounds as well as SD rounds. No one here can tell you for certain what gun or holster will work for you; not with any certainty at least. Go slow and try shooting some different models. If you are new to handguns GET SOME COMPETANT TRAINING before you start buying anything. Training will keep you safe and in one piece. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
    gatorbait51, Old Sarge and hick63 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ParishNotCounty View Post
    Brand new to CC and handguns here. I'm leaning towards a pocket pistol (Glock G42, S&W Shield 9mm, Bodyguard .380 or Bersa Thunder .380 are the ones I keep coming back to ... don't need a lot of extra weight.
    Hm.

Those are good ones to consider. To that list, I'd also add the Kahr PM9 or CM9, the Bersa BPCC as well as any of the lighter-weight S&W Airweight revolvers. And if considering revolvers, you're essentially at the ~6.2-6.5" size (OAL). At that sizing, also consider the Bersa Thunder UC Pro and the Glock 26.

Though, you are relatively new to handguns and to carrying. Might want to first pick up a good, basic range gun and get your marksmanship, handling and competence down pat, before you begin carrying. It'll also give you some time to learn from your experience, to test out various handguns at "rental" ranges and with range buddies' collections.

You might be surprised how much you learn during those first months. And you might well find that the smallest end of the spectrum isn't really what you wanted or needed anyway. Won't know until you've learned more, I think. Nothing wrong with jumping right in. But if also learning to shoot handguns competently at the same time, along with all the rest that carrying brings on, you might do it in a couple of steps and gain far more from the experience.
    gatorbait51, KeithC. and Norm66 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I carry a Shield AIWB in kydex. It gets wet from sweat during the summer. I haven't used it but I've heard good things about the Pistolwear holster. It was designed for carrying while exercising. Pistol Wear - Holsters that fit your lifestyle.

Good luck.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

Thanks for all the answers. I knew when I posted that I was asking questions with no "right" answers, but I thought it was worth while to get some other thoughts.
    gatorbait51, Norm66 and hick63 like this.

[QUOTE=Taurahe;3595671]You are worrying about problems without experiencing the problem.... Stop putting the cart before the horse.

None of the guns you mentioned are really pocket guns and are better suited to holster carry. The shield is what I carry and with an good IWB holster it is not even an issue.

That's me, always trying to figure out the last step first.
    Norm66 likes this.

Don't worry about it. In the beginning there are always way more questions than there are answers. I think sometimes we overthink things to the point of paralysis simply because there are so many options. One thing is for sure, whatever you start with is not what you'll be using several months or years down the line. As you get into it you'll gain experience, try new things and find what works and doesn't work for you.

For instance my dad (who has carried for years) told me just to start with a Glock 19. At the time I felt like that was too big a gun to carry around all the time so I went with a Shield. I don't regret it a bit because a) the Shield is a great gun, b) I did carry it every day for a long time and still do in certain circumstances, and c) now I have a great backup gun to my new, larger carry gun.
    hick63 and Old Sarge like this.

I'd recommend a small 380 like the LCP or Smith Bodyguard. Given you're going to be doing labor in the heat and humidity you want something you won't even notice in your pocket. Something like the Shield or G42, you'll notice.

Being brand new to handguns, starting out with a pocket sized pistol may be a challenge. Although many of the guns you mentioned are debatable as being "pocket" sized. Just my opinion.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links