PHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB?

This is a discussion on PHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm searching for an AIWB kydex holster for my M&P compact .40 and have come across PHLster's Skeleton. phlster-html5 I've heard of PHLster before and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: PHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB?

Senior Member Array guitarzNgunz's Avatar

I'm searching for an AIWB kydex holster for my M&P compact .40 and have come across PHLster's Skeleton.
    phlster-html5 I've heard of PHLster before and had seen Jon on YouTube sharing his knowledge of bending kydex, but never ordered from them.

I placed an order a few days ago but I'm starting to second guess if this is the right holster for me. I usually prefer a sweat guard against my body so the slide doesn't rub against me as I don't normally wear an undershirt. I asked Jon if he could add one but in order to keep wait times down he only takes custom orders in house. I would've ordered the "Access" being it has a half guard that comes stock but I have the CT lasergrip on my M&P 40c so I would've had to make some modifications with the dremel and would prefer not to do that.

So with that said, do any of you have the Skeleton be it for an M&P compact or any other pistol that can give me some feedback on whether you'd recommend it or not? Any other recommendations in the $50 range?
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

I liked the Skeleton holster, but dislike appendix carry. Bought for my Glock 19. The quality of the holster is easy to see. It was my first attempt at AIWB and none of the other guns or holsters tried worked any better since. I'd say give it a try and if it doesn't work out, finding a buyer should be easy. Jon 's stuff is always in demand. I do carry my S&W 442 in a Philster City Special holster at about 4:00.

I have the PHLster skeleton for my M&P 9c. I really like the holster and it has become my go to holster. PHLster just came up about a week ago in another thread and I was describing my only problem with them there. I do not like the belt clip or loop that comes with the holslter. It just would not sit right for me. I felt like the gun wouldn't stay pushed up against my body and that the butt of the gun would stick out slightly. I fixed this problem by ordering one of the belt clips from INCOG. They have an angled clip that seems to help keep the gun tucked against you better. It doesn't seem like much of a change, but that little bit of angle reallly helps. Like I said, once I made this change this is really the only holster I use any more. The ease of putting it on and off and how comfortable it is has made me quit looking for new holsters! (at least for now )

I too was worried about not having any plastic between me and the gun. It has been a non issue so far. The only thing that I have had happen is some skin on my stomach getting slightly pinched between the gun and safety once or twice while sitting down. It hasn't happened much more than once or twice though.
    There are only two times you can have too much ammo,when you are drowning or on fire. - I wish I knew the mans name who said this so I could give him credit!

Quote Originally Posted by B_2keys View Post
    I have the PHLster skeleton for my M&P 9c. I really like the holster and it has become my go to holster. PHLster just came up about a week ago in another thread and I was describing my only problem with them there. I do not like the belt clip or loop that comes with the holslter. It just would not sit right for me. I felt like the gun wouldn't stay pushed up against my body and that the butt of the gun would stick out slightly. I fixed this problem by ordering one of the belt clips from INCOG. They have an angled clip that seems to help keep the gun tucked against you better. It doesn't seem like much of a change, but that little bit of angle reallly helps. Like I said, once I made this change this is really the only holster I use any more. The ease of putting it on and off and how comfortable it is has made me quit looking for new holsters! (at least for now )

I too was worried about not having any plastic between me and the gun. It has been a non issue so far. The only thing that I have had happen is some skin on my stomach getting slightly pinched between the gun and safety once or twice while sitting down. It hasn't happened much more than once or twice though.
    Does the Incog Eclipse clip fit on the existing holes of the Skeleton or did you have to make some mods? Could you post some pictures, I've only come across one photo online of an M&P compact in a Skeleton, I'd also be curious to see that Incog clip on it.
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

VIP Member
    No experience with that holster but I highly recommend Appalachian concealment. Matt is a standup guy an d his holster is awesome. He has earned a good following on the forum from satisfied customers, and rightfully so

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    matthew03 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Does the Incog Eclipse clip fit on the existing holes of the Skeleton or did you have to make some mods? Could you post some pictures, I've only come across one photo online of an M&P compact in a Skeleton, I'd also be curious to see that Incog clip on it.
    I'm at work all day until 5, and unfortunatly I work at a University where I cannot have my gun. When I get home I will take some pics of both the holster and gun in holster. The clip fit on without any mods at all which worked great.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    There are only two times you can have too much ammo,when you are drowning or on fire. - I wish I knew the mans name who said this so I could give him credit!

VIP Member
    Personally, I don't believe I would consider it for AIWB. I have evaluated single attachment holsters similar to this and I found they pivoted on the belt way too much for my liking. I was constantly having to adjust the holster to keep the grip at an angle where I could access it. Some folks like a single attachment point and, from what I understand, a single wider attachment point may alleviate some of that unintentional pivoting, but a single skinny pull the dot loop isn't probably going to do well; or at least it didn't do well for me. If I need to get my pistol quickly, the last thing I need is to have the grip buried on my belt line where I can't get my fingers around it easily. I know that Matthew makes one with a single wider attachment and he has said that it works well. Maybe he can add some input on the design of that one.

Also, I don't think I'd want an open bottom for a couple of reasons. First off, I sometimes carry AIWB with an undershirt tucked in and my firearm outside of that. I can't say that you'd ever get your front sight hung up on material but I think it might be a risk. Secondly, I often go shoot, drop my carry mag back in the firearm and then go on about my business. A dirty muzzle is going to get all over your body and your clothes if it's open. Finally, the more holster you have, the more stability you'll get when holstering. The less holster material, I believe, the more prone that the base of the holster will be to turn in towards your body. A good AIWB is usually designed with some sort of manner of pushing the base of the holster out, which helps keep the grip tucked in closer to the body. See that other thread on the FrankenShaggy that's running for some idea of what I'm talking about. A lot of AIWB wearers will use a foam wedge, or other somewhat comfortable device, to help push that holster base out away from your torso.

I'm not saying that this holster won't work for you though. It might. You might love it and never look back, which would be great. All I can do is tell you what I see as a guy that's carried AIWB for a long while now. FWIW, I carry every day with a JM Custom AIWB. I've found it to be the best design for me personally.
    matthew03 and guitarzNgunz like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

PHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB?-image.jpgPHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB?-image.jpgPHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB?-image.jpgPHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB?-image.jpgPHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB?-image.jpgPHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB?-image.jpg
    Here are the pictures of my PHLster. It works great for me. I saw the comment about it moving around with only one clip and it does a little bit, but never to the extent where it is not where I want it to be if I were to have to draw. It seems to help the holster adjust whenever I sit down.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

PHLster Skeleton...would you recommend it for AIWB?-image.jpg
    One final one with it actually on my belt. I don't know why it is sideways and I do not know how to fix it, but you get the idea...
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

I was just looking at PHLster's website and noticed they now have a dual loop system and foam wedge avalible. Making your own wedge wouldn't be hard and I think I'm going to look into that but the dual loop system looks interesting.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by B_2keys View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1,018.8 KB 
ID:	104401Click image for larger version. 

Views:	79 
Size:	873.8 KB 
ID:	104403Click image for larger version. 

Views:	67 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	104404Click image for larger version. 

Views:	67 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	104405Click image for larger version. 

Views:	77 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	104406Click image for larger version. 

Views:	66 
Size:	947.6 KB 
ID:	104407
    Here are the pictures of my PHLster. It works great for me. I saw the comment about it moving around with only one clip and it does a little bit, but never to the extent where it is not where I want it to be if I were to have to draw. It seems to help the holster adjust whenever I sit down.
    Looks to be very well thought out, and great attention to detail from a mechanical design and even styling point of view. And a bit of money has been spent on the mould(s) for that clip, which takes commitment. Well done.

Thanks for all the input. I'll give the Skeleton a shot, if it doesn't work out it should be a quick sell. I really like the look of the JM Custom, I definitely see one of those in my future.
    TX expat likes this.

I run my G19 in a Skeleton. No complaints! I feel like it stays put pretty well if you use a fairly stiff belt. But utilizing stiffer clips seems to work for others.

Carried Glocks in a skeleton, my favorite holster I've ever owned.

Well instead of the skeleton I ordered an appendix holster from Sawyer Concealment. Shop S-CON Holsters... - S-CON Appendix Rig - Sawyer Concealment Holsters
    I'll let you know how it works out. I ordered the S.C.A.R. II wrapped in suede and a spare mag carrier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links