need some advice on IWB holsters.

This is a discussion on need some advice on IWB holsters. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First post, and really like the forum. I'm not new to pistols or shooting sports, but I am new to the CCW community. I've OC ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: need some advice on IWB holsters.

First post, and really like the forum. I'm not new to pistols or shooting sports, but I am new to the CCW community. I've OC for many yrs durring hunting season, but thats about it.
    I have 3 CCW choices. Kel-tec p-11 9mm that I've had for yrs, but really don't like. A S&W M&P Shield .40, and a Kimber Solo Carry 9mm. I plan on carrying the M&P the most, but will switch on and off with the Solo. The Solo will be for my "sunday best" attire, lol... I have my own lawn care, property management business. So I need to find a holster or two, that will be comfortable while bouncing around on the mowers, to spreading mulch/weeding gardens. Obviously, being these are summertime activities, sweat is a concern as far a comfort goes. I'm leaning toward hybrid holsters, but not sure how comfortable the leather will be against my skin. Is any one style better for summertime activities? And to further complicate things, I need whatever I choose to be tuckable so clients don't know. Many of my clients are, well lets say, less then enthusiastic about guns in general. Fortunately, most of these homes are my clients "weekend" homes, and I usually don't see them while I'm working there. Some are full timers tho...

Sorry for the long winded first post, and thanks in advance.

I like the moulded all kydex holsters that Prepared Solutions(.)com sells. Their site is down for a couple of days as the owner, Philip adds some newer models & styles. They are custom made and very reasonably priced. Phil is also a Vet & an all around great guy too.

LG-G3 using Tap-A-Talk

Check out Aliengear holsters they have the neoprene backed (for sweat) inner waistband holsters for very reasonable prices. Lifetime warranty and you can change out the shell if you change guns. I work in construction and have a similar need from my holsters and I picked up two for $70 shipped. Can't beat the price and if you want to move on to something else you have not invested too much money. These are a great starter holster system, they are fully adjustable and very comfortable.
    The only thing to watch out for is the clip screws coming loose. Get some blue locktite and check them once a week for tightness.

VIP Member
    Most (not all) of the hybrids are carried behind the hip - if that is where you want to carry they work very well. Most of us want some type of layer between us and the holster and consequently wear some type of tank top between the holster and skin. It helps protect the holster a little and is a lot more comfortable.

There are many, many hybrid makers. I use Theis Holsters and Ozarks Holster Company. They are both great. Ozarks uses all horsehide, so the leather is a little thinner and breaks in faster, but Theis has fantastic quality. I have read that Alien Gear is good, but I haven't tried them and there are a few others who make holsters specifically for reducing heat.

Welcome to the forum!
    Member Georgia Carry

FoxX holsters. Good holsters at reasonable prices. Little or no wait and if it isn't right Ray will make good for you.

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I always wear an undershirt when I carry in a hybrid, so I don't have leather on skin contact. My shirt takes the brunt of the sweat.

But supposedly, horse hide is better than leather as far as water resistance (it's more dense).
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Most (not all) of the hybrids are carried behind the hip - if that is where you want to carry they work very well. Most of us want some type of layer between us and the holster and consequently wear some type of tank top between the holster and skin. It helps protect the holster a little and is a lot more comfortable.

There are many, many hybrid makers. I use Theis Holsters and Ozarks Holster Company. They are both great. Ozarks uses all horsehide, so the leather is a little thinner and breaks in faster, but Theis has fantastic quality. I have read that Alien Gear is good, but I haven't tried them and there are a few others who make holsters specifically for reducing heat.

Welcome to the forum!
    I did think about wearing a tank top, but adding one more layer durring 85+ heat doesn't sound to appealing, but I will try it. Of course it's -10* outside now, so im now too worried about sweat.

Another q? What position is best for sitting? What style is best suited for sitting. I spend 6+ hrs a day on my mower. My crystal ball is showing a pissed off wife standing over a drawer full or holsters I don't use

Senior Member Array Addictedhealer's Avatar
    You don't need a hybrid for small guns like the solo so unnecessary. Plus they are a pain putting on. Alien gear holsters are okay along with crossbreed but who wants a huge flap of leather plus kydex plus clips. It adds weight and parts to maintain. Look into something all leather or all kydex. Check out some of the larger companies. For small guns I love PJ holsters.

Distinguished Member Array hdhnict's Avatar
    Hybrids like Aliengear and Crossbreed are made to fit a certain Make/Model of weapon.
    There are nylon models that are capable of fitting several pistols.
    Since you are looking to switch between two pistols, you might consider the nylon also.

I have a PS Products IWB. It works well with different weapons. But, it only has one clip. So it rocks a bit.
    I don't carry to deter crime. I carry to defend myself!

I 've never found a perfect holster.I keep buying looking for one that might be a little better than the last one.My next purchase is alienware for my Glock -17.I read alienware will give you free inserts if you change carry pistol.This is done at no charge.Less than $40 bucks it's worth a try in my book.

Considering your hard work outdoors, I'd think you may be a prime candidate for the Stealthgear Onyx. Not cheap at $100 but price is the only complaint I've read about them:

StealthGearUSA.com

RickyD likes this.

These holsters are pretty comfortable and seem to meet your criteria.

https://www.n82tactical.com/holster-options/
    357MagMan and Engelstriker like this.

VIP Member
    I don't like any part of the gun against my skin. So in cool or neutral weather I wear a skin tight udergarment then a loose outer garb with any holster but in hotter weather I'm wearing one layer. In that situation I want the gun completely off me. I had Nelson holsters build me one that completely keeps the entire gun off my skin. It certainly isn't a combat cut by any stretch of the imagination but with a bit of practice I can easily draw and even the grip is off my skin. And leather is comfortable. It is very nice looking and if you tell him what you want he will custom design it.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

The "Guardian" Custom Inside the Waistband Holster/Appendix Model | Badger Concealment

I carry my PPS in this. Similar to your Shield, just a bit heavier. It is surprisingly comfortable, secure, and conceals incredibly well.
    Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    I did think about wearing a tank top, but adding one more layer durring 85+ heat doesn't sound to appealing, but I will try it. Of course it's -10* outside now, so im now too worried about sweat.

Another q? What position is best for sitting? What style is best suited for sitting. I spend 6+ hrs a day on my mower. My crystal ball is showing a pissed off wife standing over a drawer full or holsters I don't use
    I have (and still do) carried appendix and on the hip. Appendix can be uncomfortable when sitting for some body types, but it is a faster draw when standing for many. For me, carrying at about 3:30 is optimal for most situations including sitting. The only place I don't like it is in the car. On a mower you won't have the center counsel or a seat belt in the way, so on the hip would be my choice.

As for the under-shirt, you can try whatever you like but my opinion is having a layer is far more comfortable, even in the heat. And, I live in GA, so I understand sweat and heat. It really is not that big of a deal with modern fabrics.
    WMac19 likes this.
    Member Georgia Carry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links