Retention Holsters

Retention Holsters

This is a discussion on Retention Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you like them, hate them, use them? I don't, but recently read an article in SWAT that recommended using them. The only exposure I ...

Thread: Retention Holsters

DC Founder

Retention Holsters

Do you like them, hate them, use them? I don't, but recently read an article in SWAT that recommended using them. The only exposure I have had to them was on my duty holster when I worked a a reserve police officer. I remember at the time that it seemed cumbersome at first but after practicing, it was so easy it was almost like it wasn't there.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    Personally I don't see the need for one for CCW. My holsters with tension hold keep the gun held very well, I can even hang upside-down and not have it fall out if it's properly adjusted.

Even having a thumb break on a CCW holster can be detrimental. I like being able to reholster one handed and the thumb break straps can get in the way when I am reholstering.

I have always taught that if you need 2 hands to put your gun in the holster, then you have the wrong holster. You should be able to reholster without looking or "feeling" for the holster.

Just my opinion.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

VIP Member
    I agree with acparmed. For CCW I would not choose a retention holster. For LEOs it makes sense because the BG may have the gun as his target since it is there carried openly. For a CCW the BG won't know the gun is there until it is time to use it. So retention in your hands is very important.

-Scott-

Administrator

Fair Question

For open carry I would consider one but I never carry exposed.
    There are some great ones out there.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    I like the added retention syems. CQC kydex Blackhawk and the Binachi Carry loc both seem really nice. Its a button placed in line with your natural draw. Any retention sytem that would slow the draw or require a rocking to release is bad to me. Some situations may require less than deadly for , and I like the fact my gun will stay put, especially if you are trying to wrestle awy from someone.

The Bianchi retention device is very awkward and odd to deactivate or is that activate to release, but you allget the idea. The CQC Serpa is awesome, and the design of the retention lends itself to finger out of the trogger well until it is GO TIME.

I was given a Bianchi as a gift and got rid of it after practicing some presentations with it as the design on paper is nice, but the actual device fails miserably.

IF you are in the market for either I would say go with the CQC Serpa and you will not be displeased. I can draw from concealment with the CQC as quick as I can a non-retention holster. The only problem with the CQC Serpa is that it does stick out a ways and will obviously print unless you are dressed up like some lumberjack up in the Yukon.

In training my wife to present better, the CQC retention device has made the transition to finger along the slide a much easier task, now it is instinctive.

My .o2,
    ~Andy
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Lead Moderator
    Probably will get the Serpa if they make 1 for my HK in LH, or I get a 1911.

Thumbs down Retention Holsters for CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I agree with acparmed. For CCW I would not choose a retention holster. For LEOs it makes sense because the BG may have the gun as his target since it is there carried openly. For a CCW the BG won't know the gun is there until it is time to use it. So retention in your hands is very important.-Scott-
    I'm with y'all. LEOs need holster devices, since their guns are visible and more susceptible to a grab. But IMHO, all CCW permit holders should have some form of both weapons retention training and hand to hand combat training. Self defense has to be a work of layers. Whether that be a nonlethal application of a stun device or spray or martial arts approach, sometimes a gun just is not going to be the proper or lawful application of force.

I prefer Aikido as it works equally well for men and women and even kids and requires ZERO expression of strength and works up close, in fact the closer the better. And no punches or kicks or even extreme flexibility.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

If I had my way and you were free to carry a gun any way you chose anywhere you chose, I'd get a level 3 retention holster and learn how to use it.

But since the law says concealed, and concealed means concealed, I see no need for one.

Links