Defensive Carry banner

Just not comfortable carrying IWB...

8K views 86 replies 66 participants last post by  D_FIN 
#1 ·
But it is the most effective way, right? I know OWB works in some cases, but IWB is more concealable generally. I have only tried it with a .38 snub and my LCP - but even the tiny LCP just didnt feel right. I feel like it is SO obvious that Im carrying. Granted I had cheap holsters. Will i get over that? Im thinking about venturing back and trying IWB again, with perhaps a Shield or a G26. (Leaning towards the Shield due to the thickness of the 26)

Does a holster really make all the difference? With IWB and OWB, you have to avoid bending and reaching right? Unless you are wearing a super long shirt I guess?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

#71 ·
Have never carried IWB in all the years that I have been carrying, just doesn't feel right. Always carry OWB at 3:30 to 4:00 o'clock. Normally a snubby revolver or 9mm XDs with good holsters and belt, sometimes full size 4" revolver or a 9 mm Beretta PX4. Always wear loose fitting shirt sometimes with a vest. I am 5'9 and 175 pounds never had a problem.

#72 ·
I felt the same way at first.? Then I saw a video on Youtube.? By Anthony.? The Company's owner,? for the "TACTI PACK" FUSION HOLSTER.?So for $80.00 Bucks + Free shp.? i gave it a shot.? For my XD40.? Full size Gun.? Best $$$$. That I ever spent.? This Holster is Comfortable.? No belt need for it to use etc.?So Check it out & i am sure that you will change your mind about IWB carry also.?

#74 ·
The thickness of your gun and the type of holster make all the difference, but I am still much more comfortable carrying with a good OWB holster and stiff belt due to my shape. (Round IS a shape)

#77 ·
I have an El Paso Saddlery IWB - I think it is called a Covert Op or something like that. It rides between my hip and my back pocket (8:30 for us lefties), tilting towards the hip. I carry my 4" 1911 in it. It is the only IWB I have used that I like. It really is fairly comfortable. I normally wear a 32" waist on my Wranglers, but when I carry IWB, I wear a pair with a 33" waist.

#78 ·
I'm not reading all 6 pages of this but I will say that the only thing inside my waistband is my fat ass. I've tried IWB holsters and can't stand them. I carry 1911s OWB, 3-330, with a double mag pouch opposite. Quality gear - holster, mag pouch, gun belt - will conceal well and be all day comfortable, but you have to be willing to put some money into it, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: OD*
#79 ·
With larger guns I've learned how not to move or bend so that I don't have part of a grip poking out. I can carry just about any handgun with a T-shirt and some cargo or denim shorts IWB because of this. When standing and sitting normally it's not noticeable. When stretching or bending down it can poke out. Generally it's no worry for the few seconds it may poke out, but I have learned to sort of crouch down in almost a kneeling position when I go to bend down to the bottom shelf at the grocery store for example.

Eventually you will become confident and comfortable with it. You may never really be fully comfortable physically but rather mentally. Carrying a firearm is supposed to be comforting not necessarily 100% comfortable but there are ways to make it more comfortable for you with trial and error. Carry position makes a huge difference.

#83 ·
With larger guns I've learned how not to move or bend so that I don't have part of a grip poking out. I can carry just about any handgun with a T-shirt and some cargo or denim shorts IWB because of this. When standing and sitting normally it's not noticeable. When stretching or bending down it can poke out. Generally it's no worry for the few seconds it may poke out, but I have learned to sort of crouch down in almost a kneeling position when I go to bend down to the bottom shelf at the grocery store for example.
Good points. I would add that you should crouch down version bending over anyway, better for your back.

#81 ·
I am 5'7" and 125#. OWB seems to stick out no matter what I do. Yet with IWB I can conceal any full size pistol or revolver while wearing shorts and a t shirt. I have tried a lot of holsters and find Nelson to be perfect. Fit, comfort and concealment x10.

#86 ·
I carry OWB for a couple of reasons. One, I don't want to buy new pants. Two, it's much, much more comfortable. Three, it's damn hot here in South Texas.

Just make sure you holster maker crafts his holsters to pull the gun butt tight against your body. That way you don't print.

#87 ·
You need to do what works for you. I love my IWB Galco King Tuk. I love that is given to me for Free as well. You don't want a el cheapo holster but you don't buy a $90 crossbreed either. There are plenty of good holster makers that can be had at a more reasonable price. You might checkout Alien Gear or SHTF.

IWB vs OWB depends on how you plan to carry. If it always going to be a lose untucked shirt and OWB is more comfortable then use it. I like my IWB because I also wear tucked in shirts several days of the week for work. I have no issues with discomfort and I carry a double stack Glock 26. If you want to carry IWB and are uncomfortable then you might try a size larger pants.

I assure you that you are the only who thinks that you have a huge tumor sticking out of your side. most people will never notice. Also unless you have laws about printing in your state I would not worry to much about it. If you are worried about printing shirts with patterns help a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.