Defensive Carry banner

Just not comfortable carrying IWB...

8K views 86 replies 66 participants last post by  D_FIN 
#1 ·
But it is the most effective way, right? I know OWB works in some cases, but IWB is more concealable generally. I have only tried it with a .38 snub and my LCP - but even the tiny LCP just didnt feel right. I feel like it is SO obvious that Im carrying. Granted I had cheap holsters. Will i get over that? Im thinking about venturing back and trying IWB again, with perhaps a Shield or a G26. (Leaning towards the Shield due to the thickness of the 26)

Does a holster really make all the difference? With IWB and OWB, you have to avoid bending and reaching right? Unless you are wearing a super long shirt I guess?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

#4 ·
Belt Fashion accessory Buckle Waist Strap
Fictional character

I am 5'6" @ 250# I carry a G19 gen 4 (90% of the time) and a Ruger SR40C (10%) I have two (For each carry) 3Speed Holsters. I carry at AIWB from the time i awake till I go to bed. I am 64 and retired so i don't have to worry about a tucked in shirt. I can wear this walking, jogging & driving a vehicle. If you find 3-5 O'clock uncomfortable maybe you should look into Appendix Carry.

Reactions: NickBurkhardt
#5 ·
A poorly designed holster isn't going to conceal well, or be comfortable. A well designed holster still needs a good platform to work optimally, that is the belt. It takes the whole system, belt, holster, gun, and cover garment to work; in addition you need the knowledge and training for everything to come together.

#7 ·
I'm 6'5" 295 lbs and after 40+ years of daily carry, I still can't get a Glock to conceal on me comfortably.
You have to find a sidearm that conforms to your body type and fits your grip. My hands are very large, but thick so a pencil nearly fills my grip.
My personal best fitting sidearms for IWB at 3:30 are my Colt Defender 45 and S&W Shield .40 plus a couple .357mag snub revolvers.

Both of these EDCs are under 0.99 inches wide and under 23 ounces. Try a good leather holster (untucked shirt) or a Comp-Tac/Galco King Tuk holster for dressed-up comfort with a good quality belt.

Reactions: PhaedrusIV
#8 ·
I carry a Bersa thunder 380 in an Alien Gear IWB. Sitting, standing, walking or driving, it is very comfortable. Give it another try, You have to dress around the gun. I have to wear slacks a bit too large in the waist to accomodate the extra bulk of the holster. good luck

#11 ·
I feel like it is SO obvious that I'm carrying. Granted I had cheap holsters. Will i get over that? Any words of wisdom are appreciated.
Absolutely true what others have said about the importance of a quality holster made for your specific gun PLUS a really good sturdy gun belt. BUT KNOW THIS: WE ALL FELT OBVIOUS when we first started concealed carrying!!!!! You have a mirror? Check and you will be able to see if you are obviously printing. If not sure, you can do what others have done and take pictures of yourself and post them here and the good folks here will say "yea" or "nay" as to whether you actually are "obvious".

You can do it!!!!

#13 ·
+100 to that! When you first start carrying you feel like everyone knows you have a gun. When I was kid and had to start wearing glasses I was sure everyone in the world would look at me and laugh but really no one notices that stuff most of the time. Your gun is almost certainly not nearly as obvious as you think it is!

Reactions: ShooterGranny
#12 ·
I have been carrying daily for just about 2 1/2 years now and I carry IWB the vast majority of the time. For the first 3 months it felt like I had a brick smashed inside my waistband. The pants were tight, the gun didn't sit in a comfortable position, it was hot, etc.

Over time I tried and failed with at least a couple different methods of carry and numerous holsters before I found the first solution that worked for me. I started by actually using pants that were a full inch larger than I normally needed. At first I didn't believe this was really necessary or I was too cheap to buy new clothes - it DOES make a difference. Next I found the right place to carry, which for me was 1:30 AIWB at the time and has since moved to 3:30 IWB due to a job change that gave me more freedom with my wardrobe. There is an exact spot in each location that feels right. Finally I found the holster style and gun combination that worked. I started with a smaller Kahr PM9 in a custom hybrid holster from Ozarks Holster CO and now carry a largerr SA XDm .45C in a Theis hybrid holster.

Paying attention to the details and finding what is really comfortable takes time; and you body takes time to adapt.

When I started I thought I would never get comfortable, now I am uncomfotable if I am not carrying. It does change.

#14 ·
For years I carried a G19 OWB. However, I never really cared if it printed a bit either.

A quality holster makes a ton of difference. Cheap holsters tend to not carry as close to the body or as securely. Either of which will make you paranoid about it printing.

Where IWB shines is that you don't have to worry about the bottom of the holster showing if your shirt rides up, or if you tuck your shirt in. Where OWB shines is in comfort. The reality of it is, if that thin layer of denim makes a big difference something else is actually wrong. There are only 2 really functional differences between how OWB and IWB ride, the thickness of your pants and the side of the belt it rides on. My honest opinion is that the 1/4" or so IWB might save isn't enough to worry about. In other words, I don't think IWB inherently conceals better. Unless you have a specific need that requires it like tucking your shirt around the holster.

#15 ·
I had the same problem till I tried a Nelson .. What I am saying is get the right holster and the right spot on you and it might work

#27 ·
I had a lot of people tell me the same thing about alien holsters but when I tried them I did not like the most. Especially in the summer I didn't like wearing an under shirt. I was more of a fan of steathgear it holds great and is incredibly comfortable in summer or winter, I keep it in the 5 or 6 o'clock position all the time with a Nano. I love mine

#21 ·
Does a holster really make all the difference?
Yes, a good holster can make a huge difference. So can a good gunbelt.

With IWB and OWB, you have to avoid bending and reaching right? Unless you are wearing a super long shirt I guess.
Yes, you have to take care in dressing appropriately to remain concealed. Long-tailed shirts definitely help.

I opted to carry OWB because it is more comfy and I don't have to buy new pants.

Consider pocket carrying your LCP.

#37 ·
Yes, a good holster can make a huge difference. So can a good gunbelt.

Yes, you have to take care in dressing appropriately to remain concealed. Long-tailed shirts definitely help.

I opted to carry OWB because it is more comfy and I don't have to buy new pants.

Consider pocket carrying your LCP.
I do, every day. Just looking to move up to a 9mm and a higher capacity.

#23 ·
I have never liked IWB either. Which is why I don't do it. Despite the cajoling of numerous 'experts' who make it sound like if you don't IWB you will get shot to death the instant you step outside of your house and enter the world of 24/7 gunfights that seems to happen everywhere in the world except the places I pass through.

So I settled on comfort...

#24 ·
I'm 5'6" at about 180lbs I like to carry my sp-100 in a remora between my spec-ops stretchy belt and my pants at about 4oclock. I position the holster so it drops into my back pocket and the stretchy belt holds it in place. I carry this way when hiking ect. and it stays put. I gained wieght this winter and was forced to carry this way so I could button my pants LOL.

Rich

#28 ·
A decent holster and belt goes a long way toward making EDC safe and comfortable. Scour the forums for advice on holsters and belts and do your own research on the Internet and at your LGS. It might get you started in right direction but don't be surprised if you try a few combinations before you find what works for you. Take your time and give whatever you try an honest chance as most holsters need a little break-in period. With the right gear you'll be able to conceal your gun and move about without concern.

Reactions: thechriskarel
#29 ·
I have to agree with others. A good holster makes the difference. I carry a G19 IWB 90% of the time. There are times it will print when I move in a certain position or twist, but most people do not notice. I don't know your laws so I cant say don't worry about printing, but in Ks, its a non issue.
I find my Crossbreed to be more comfortable than my Comp-tech holster. Both are close to the same size and worn in the same position on my body, but the Crossbreed is more comfortable to me. Try to play where the firearm is located on your body by sliding it around a little. When standing mine sits just behind the point of my hip. If it moves past the 430 position, it causes me pain. Keep at it and know most people wont notice.

Carrying a gun is not always comfortable, but I am sure its more comforting than the guilt I would have if I needed it to protect my loved ones and didn't have it.

#30 ·
If you can't conceal an LCP in an IWB holster, you are doing something wrong. You need a holster with forward cant so that the grip presses into you (No, this is not uncomfortable).You shouldn't be worried about printing/revealing with an IWB holster that works properly. Wear it around 3:30 or so for optimal comfort - everyone is a little different, here. This way you can sit, normally and draw is also easy at this position. Bending over has never been an issue, personally. Also, don't worry about printing through your shirt. No one would notice. If they do, they don't know what they're looking at, anyway. With a larger/heavier gun, you need an IWB holster with 2 contact points to spread the weight load. Normal length shirts should be fine.

Long story, short. Get a good holster with adjustable cant. I see you joined a while ago, but are you new to carrying? The feeling of exposure goes away, quickly. Soon you will realize the sheeple are oblivious.

Reactions: Czombie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.