Wright Leather Works vs Milt Sparks Holsters

This is a discussion on Wright Leather Works vs Milt Sparks Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a good owb holster for a 4in kimber 1911....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Wright Leather Works vs Milt Sparks Holsters

Looking for a good owb holster for a 4in kimber 1911.

Kramer and FIST are the favorites of the one I own.

FIST #12 Basic does a good job of keeping the gun pulled in nice and close for concealment.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep4x4 View Post
    Looking for a good owb holster for a 4in kimber 1911.
    I love my wright predator. Just ordered another for my new les baer UTC

Go with any leather smith's Askins Avenger clone. Or get a real one for a decent price on Ebay.

OfficersModel-3-1.jpeg
    rednichols and jem102 like this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

An armed society is a polite society--Robert Heinlein via The Guru
    You cannot invade the United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass--Admiral Isoruku Yamamoto, IJN

Tor
    Raptor Pro II in a MS 55BN Cordovan Horsehide. I love this holster. If you want even higher ride, go with a 60TK. And...welcome to the forum.

raptor2-1.jpg
    ​Native Norwegian Viking
    RNoAF Vet
    "It's Hard To Stay Hard - Dying Is Easy"

I've got a commander size Milt Sparks 60TK and wish it had just a bit more cant when carrying a full size frame. It's fine for my CCO's.
    Take that for what it's worth.
    Tor likes this.

If you don't need a shirt guard the Sparks I-BAK is a great holster. It, as will all pancakes, hold the gun tighter against the body than the Askins style.
    If you need a shirt guard look at 5 shot pancake (Concealment Pancake (CP)) 5 Shot Leather, LLC - CP

No other style holds the gun as tightly against the body as a pancake.
    Most leather workers and saddle makers do not really know how to make a first class holster. Get one by a top maker and you will be satisfied instead of wishing that you had done so.

Jerry
    DJR1911 likes this.

Administrator
    I would also suggest the Milt Sparks I-BAK if you want your firearm perfectly pulled in close to the body.
    It's an incredibly tough holster to beat for OWB carry of a 1911 pattern firearm.
    As is to always be expected of M. Sparks the design & construction is flawless and their holsters just seem to stay functional forever.

All Photo Credit To Tony K. & Milt Sparks Holsters.
    http://www.miltsparks.com/

Unlike that of Bakers original pancake design,
    the I-BAK is formed completely to the outer pouch, leaving the backside of the holster more or less flat.<~~
    The result is a holster which can conform to the curve of the hip, between its widely spaced belt slots, but not collapse when the gun is withdrawn. A combination single sight rail, and deeply formed sight channel, provide plenty of protection and clearance for even the tallest of front sights.
    OD*, DJR1911, Stoveman and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The pic shows a beautiful product, with workmanship, materials, and styling rating top notch. But the holster shouldn't be able to lay flat on the bench; i.e., when a holster with one or two outrigger slots has been thought through completely, the maker realises that the 'wings' need to be arced while wet (and the holster is being moulded to the pistol) to force the grip (called 'twist') into its ideal position, rather than however the leather ultimately allows it to lie.
    PAcanis, OD* and BBI like this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Works great for me, and I have not found that the wings need to be arched. I have both types, and still think the I_BAK can't be beat if you do not want a shirtguard. To each his own, however. It is the user who is the final arbiter.
    Jerry

I have a couple of really excellent holsters, one for a 5" 1911 and another for my Glock 33, and both have the curved wings and are supremely comfortable. Couldn't ask for any more in any holster.
    Certified Infidel

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Check out my avatar that was made for my Kimber Pro Raptor. Love this holster, it's made by Tucker Gun Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Works great for me, and I have not found that the wings need to be arched. I have both types, and still think the I_BAK can't be beat if you do not want a shirtguard. To each his own, however. It is the user who is the final arbiter.
    Jerry
    And those 'final arbiters' post a LOT on forums, about their troubles with break-in -- for holstering, drawing, and retention of the pistol; and comfort of the set when worn on a belt. And break-in is avoided when the maker does many little things, well; that non-holster builders don't know they're not getting or are even related to break-in; including shaping the slots and loops to receive the belt, while the mould pistol is still in the wet holster. Hence my comment.

This isn't something I thought up yesterday; the Bianchi Shadow pancake holster that I developed in the 70s to compete with the then-new Baker Pancake (Roy's was really quite a badly-drafted patent), instead of being moulded in a flat, padded press of the period, was moulded in a custom-built press with a significant arc in the platens. Surely the state-of-art in holster design/build can be relied upon to advance, not regress. And just as surely, holster buyers deserve to know what they can expect for their bucks?
    OD*, BritishAgent, BBI and 3 others like this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols
    "Chief Holster Scientist"

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Red_.../about_us.html

Ah, Red, swiping at Tony and Milt Sparks again. Still, hard to argue with so MANY satisfied users-few of whom are wearing Bianchi Shadows these days, I'll note.

:)

Larry
    multistage likes this.

I still go back to my Pure Kustom Black ops Pro for my 1911. It works OWB or IWB and I've used it both ways. Very stable holster.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links