Shoulder rig

This is a discussion on Shoulder rig within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wearing a shoulder rig and it is riding to the left. The strap is rubbing on my neck and it is making it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder rig

Shoulder rig

I am wearing a shoulder rig and it is riding to the left. The strap is rubbing on my neck and it is making it uncomfortable. It is starting to make marks on my neck and ride up so that someone can see the strap.

Is there a way to fix this? This is my first shoulder rig and I really like it. Can someone help?
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The best advise i can give you ( from what you posted ) is change rigs , I am assuming you are now useing either a cheap nylon rig , or one of the old fashoned rigs that involves an elastic band as part of the support . Go to a quality " vest type " rig such as the galco miami classic or similar that balances the weight of the handgun on one side with reloads on the other and has wide sholder straps . Sholder holsters are not my prefered carry method but for one reason or another i find myself dragging out one of my miami classic rigs two or three times a year . There are many manufactors making quality rigs and some custom makers , i just used the galco rig as an example since i am familiar with it and it is a good quality production rig , tho a custom would be even better.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

here is my rig

here is my rig. is this a good one or bad one. it is some type of hyde
    Attached Images
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I will assume that the rig is adjustable. If it is, put it on empty (ie:no gun or mags).

Loosen the straps that come over the shoulder until the intersect point is close to the center of your shoulder blades. Now adjust the straps that come up underneath to fit the desired angle for the firearm and magazines.

Re-fit the weapon and magazines. That has worked for me in the past (not that I wear a lot of shoulder rigs anymore).

That looks like a fair rig and purple88 pretty much nailed it , other than i will say many tend to fit them too loose , if you carry the weight too far out ( down by the waistband ect.. ) as you move the pistol will pendilum some and work the rig further to the pistol side . when you fit it try and carry the weight as high as comfort and concealment allow .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    There are straps that run from the holster/ mag holder to the belt or belt loop as well. Sometimes the shape of the shoulder makes this neccesary. I know some folks that use these tie down straps and swear by them.

Gunnutty true : I tried them and swear at them tho lol . Its worth a try if other things dont work imho .

You never said what kinda iron are you carrying? If you are carrying something like a 1911 or a S&W 4506 or (God forbid) a Desert Eagle, or some other brand of "boat anchor" then the left side WILL hang lower than the right side because the iron outweighs the two magazines.

Once upon a time, I too had a Galco Miami Classic (wish I STILL had it!) and I carried a Glock 23 and 2 Glock 22 magazines AND a pair of cuffs. It balanced out "OK" but I loosened up the straps a little bit on the magazine side and attached the cuff case to my belt and it seemed to help a little bit. If I had kept the rig, I would have gotten a tie-down for the holster side as well. This would have made the rig double as suspenders, in a way.

By the way...Redneck Repairs - You got a Miami Classic rig in black for a Glock 17/22 that you wanna sell?

i am carrying a Glock 27 with a full mag and 2 full mags on the other side

Ricardo

It should balance out "decent" anyway. You might try wearing it around the house with maybe your magazine OUT OF THE GUN just to see if the weight from it makes a difference.

Shoulder rigs are kinda tricky...kinda like a guy trying to wear a brassiere, or something.

I also carry a "G27" in a uncle mikes with two clips opposite side. Balances very well. Wear the 27 up very high. Clips doesen't really matter how high as they are counter weights. Usually wear under a wind breaker and if I have to drive a long way. Otherwise OWB Ted blocker.
    I'm left handed by the way and uncle mikes was the best I could afford at the time also works right or left

Fist Shoulder Rig Here...

for a Kimber Ultra...vertical carry...only on my Harley...quite comfortable.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    The reason you complained about is the single reason I do NOT use wide straps on my shoulder rigs. As have mentioned before I firmly believe shoulder rigs are a special duty rig but when I do use them I refuse to use one of the "widdened" straps as they always end up digging into my neck. The thinner straps are my choice and except for no digging into my neck I havent noticed a difference.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    You never said what kinda iron are you carrying? If you are carrying something like a 1911 or a S&W 4506 or (God forbid) a Desert Eagle, or some other brand of "boat anchor"...

LOL.. you have just described why my previous daily carry, my S&W-5906, now resides in an OWB, and is not my daily carry.

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Willington View Post
    LOL.. you have just described why my previous daily carry, my S&W-5906, now resides in an OWB, and is not my daily carry.
    I carry a "G27" also carry in a OWB.Ted Blocker. Both rigs work for me.Depends on the situation on which way I carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links