Advice on method of carry

This is a discussion on Advice on method of carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I am new to this forum and have been reviewing the previous threads on different holsters used for carry. I have found a few ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and have been reviewing the previous threads on different holsters used for carry. I have found a few options that seem practical. I recently purchased an XD-40 sc for concealed carry and would like some input on which methods of carry would be more advantageous for my routine and style of dress.
    I soon will be traveling a lot with my family (my wife and son who will be born sometime at the end of March). Because we will be spending so much time in the car, and subsequently rest stops / convenience stores / etc..., I would like a method of carry that will be comfortable and practical to use. In addition, there will be many times that carrying concealed will necessitate deep concealment.
    My attire of dress will usually either be Dockers with a collared shirt tucked in or a suit with a tie. When I am not in a suit, and even when I am, most times I do not have the jacket on - but that can change. I hardly wear a jacket unless it is cold outside, and even then only if I am going to be outside for a while. In addition, most of my traveling during the warmer months will be in the south.
    I have looked into the Smart carry, a pocket holster, and a IWB. Any advice on these holsters for my daily routine or other possible options I haven't yet considered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    BJC

You can conceal a lot of gun with a jacket! I would suggest you look for a pocket gun of some sort for an always gun. If you want to carry a bigger gun without a cover garmet, I would look at some sort of belly band or elastic shoulder holster such as:

http://www.activeprogear.com/holsters.html
    Good luck, I have found the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster works well for me with a reasonable sized pistol. Just have to be sure you don't wear your shirts too tight.
    str1

Assistant Administrator
    Firstly -

Without going into great detail it does seem you may well have to have several options as there is a need for medium to even deep concealment. It's a hassle changing rigs but that may be your only way out.

Therefore, perhaps a clip type IWB for when you can use it but - quickly removeable. Perhaps too get used to an empty SmartCarry so it is there when needed. Pocket is quicker to adopt and change, so that is not too tricky perhaps.

So - seems like you will have to have choices to suit occasions - at least seems that way to me right now.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by BJC View Post
    My attire of dress will usually either be Dockers with a collared shirt tucked in or a suit with a tie. When I am not in a suit, and even when I am, most times I do not have the jacket on - but that can change. I hardly wear a jacket unless it is cold outside, and even then only if I am going to be outside for a while.
    I think considering changing your dress to accommodate carry is definitely a good thing. From your description, our dress styles are pretty different (I don't even own a suit and intend to keep it that way as long as possible) but I still had to make some changes to my wardrobe to accommodate my pistol.

If you're willing to wear some sort of cover garment, my advice would be to carry in a strong side hip holster (either inside or outside the waistband) unless the situation calls for deep concealment. The exception to this might by while driving. Depending on your car's seats, a hip holster might be uncomfortable while driving, and it will certainly be difficult to access. You could go with another rig that's easier and comfortable to use while seated, like a crossdraw or shoulder holster, or you could get a holster attached to your vehicle and transfer the gun there when you sit down (check your local laws first, though).

Chris' advice that you may need different choices for different occasions is good, but I'd try to keep to a single method for as much of the time as possible. The last thing you want is to get into a situation where you need you're gun and be patting yourself down trying to remember where you're carrying it today.

If you are spending a lot of time sitting in a car I recommend a good shoulder holster.

For anything else, strong side IWB or OWB. If you do go IWB make sure you get your pants sized to accommodate the gun. I generally buy 31" pants, but now I buy 32" pants.

Another option, when driving/sitting is an ankle holster. Learn to dress around the gun. As Clint Smith says, "A gun should be comforting not comfortable."

Biker

Senior Moderator
    I dress the same way I use Smartcarry or pocket carry. I like pocket carry better for the simple reason that I can put it between the seats of the car when driving and slip it into my pocket when I get out of my car.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Welcome! I think you'll find that you'll probably change your dress alittle, have at least 2 or 3 "go-to" holsters, & you may even end up buying another gun or two or three...

Pocket carry with a small enough gun works great & is quick except when you're seated. I've pocket carried my S&W J frame for years. I've also done it with a Glock 26 & currently a Kahr PM9.

The other pretty standard method is an IWB holster. There are some nice tuckable IWB holsters around. Personally, I recently bought one from UBG holsters; works great & can be removed quickly & doesn't have to be carried with the shirt tucked in if you get made tuckable, of course.

After those two main methods, there're many other ways of carrying. Shoulder holster, undershirt holster, smart carry, belly band, etc.

Read some past threads & go back many pages, you'll be amazed at what you can learn, I have.

Good luck!
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Ron
    I have been carrying a S&W 38sp. 642 revolver in a Mika pocket holster with great comfort. The holster stays in the pocket when I draw the gun and does not print. Although I usually wear cargo shorts or pants, the revolver also fits well in regular docker type pants. I recently bought a Walther P99c, which I think is probably about the same size as your XDsc. Because I find IWB carry to be uncomfortable, and given that I live in Florida and never wear an outer concealment garment, plan to pocket carry the P99c in a Mika pocket holster, which Bob Mika is customizing for me. It may be that your XD is too large and heavy for pocket carry, but I suggest that you call and discuss it with him. He is very knowledgable and a nice guy.

Ron

Welcome to this forum, BJC!

Definitely try SmartCarry--Charlie offers a 60 day trial, so if you find you don't like it you simply get a refund. The nice thing about this method is that it works for me with any attire, especially pleated Dockers.

For times when you wear a jacket, a good IWB holster is the ticket in my opinion. I'm partial to Milt Sparks.

With the snubby I got for Christmas, I've found pocket carry to be handy on occasion. Faster and easier to gun-up than putting on a holster or SmartCarry. I like Mika's Pocket Holster.

By the way, BJC, I've shot my buddy's XD sc and you've got a great little carry pistol there....

Good luck!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I have an XD 40 SC and I couldn't find anything that was comfortable while I drive, or anytime else. I drive for a living. Last weekend I bought an ankle holster from Cabelas. It is a De Santis apache rig. Very comfortable and have forgotten it is on. Got to be very carefull in kansas about that. It holds the gun against your leg and has wool or something like that next to your leg. It is elastic with velcro. It is a right hand,but wear it on left leg. When I ride the bike,if it warms up, I will put it on right leg to keep awy from engine. Holster was only $34.00.

"I soon will be traveling a lot with my family (my wife and son who will be born sometime at the end of March). Because we will be spending so much time in the car, and subsequently rest stops / convenience stores / etc..., I would like a method of carry that will be comfortable and practical to use"

Under these circumstances, I would want something that would serve while driving, making pit stops, helping with the child (congratulations, btw), etc. As others have mentioned, sholder harness, ankle or cross draw. For deep concealment, you may want something else.

It is up to you. Carry the way and with the rig that is most comfortable to you. IMO.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

You might want to look at a tuckable IWB, like the High Noon Hidden Alley. I use it for my XD 9 SC, and since I'm the type that usually will tuck in my shirt, it seems to work well in just about all situations. With an IWB, I second the recommendation about getting your pants one size bigger to accommodate the weapon.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Welcome to CCW!!!

I carry a XD 45 in a 5.11 holster t-shirt while driving . It gets transferred to a C-T.A.C. when I leave the car. The C-T.A.C. works well with jeans and/or 3 piece suits and can be tucked or untucked as needed. The C-TAC can even be worn OWB, between the belt and pants if you like as it is kydex. I think there is a newer model called the Infidel.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I now have a couple of options to look into. Pocket carry and the Smart carry might be the most practical for me at this time, however an IWB for the colder months is looking like a good possibility as well. Of course, I would never be opposed to buying another gun.

Thanks again,
    BJC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links