Got my Garrett Revolver IWB for the LCRx 3" today! V2.

This is a discussion on Got my Garrett Revolver IWB for the LCRx 3" today! V2. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got it! Some of you may recall that I had some issues with the first one (mold gun didn't have enough height for ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Phaedrus
  • 1 Post By Ghost1313
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By Rockymonster
  • 1 Post By Ghost1313

Thread: Got my Garrett Revolver IWB for the LCRx 3" today! V2.

VIP Member

I finally got it! Some of you may recall that I had some issues with the first one (mold gun didn't have enough height for the sight). Garrett got another one sent out and I got it today. I haven't really worn it around but I will say fit wise that they nailed it! This one fits perfectly. The sight channel/track is maxed out but that's not a bad thing, the sight itself isn't rubbing the liner. Initially I thought it would be inconvenient to adjust retention since the top screw is slightly behind the clip. That wouldn't have been a huge deal since you really only need to adjust it once. Turns out thought that with this particular gun the bottom screw really does most of the adjustment.

Time will tell if this is better than the regular IWB. The Revolver IWB moves the clip from the middle of the body to the trigger guard. The reasoning is that the cylinder is the fat part of the gun so moving the clip prevents it riding on the widest part. In actual practice though the LCRx has a pretty thin cylinder as revolvers go since it's just a 5-shot. Moving the clip over requires a wider body; this makes a somewhat large holster for a pretty small gun. I think it will work great but I'm not sure if I'll like it was well as the regular IWB. But I wanted to try it, so if in not that's on me.

Here are a few pics from different angles to show the holster & gun.

These last two show the IWB for my old 2" version next to the new Revolver IWB for the 3" version. Note the stamping on the back. Garrett was kind enough to stamp the name of the gun on my last few purchases. I have so many of their holsters (maybe 11 now) that it was getting hard to keep them all straight and tell them apart without trying each one.

All in all I'm quite happy with how this one turned out! Kudos to Garrett for making another great product. I'll update this thread when I have the chance to wear it for awhile.
    redbirddog5 and Ghost1313 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I love my Garrett holsters. I have one that I carry a S&W 2" 686 and one for my Springfield XD mod 2
    Phaedrus likes this.

That's a sharp looking holster. I like the design. And I really like that clip.
    Phaedrus likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm wearing my 3" LCRx in the new Revolver IWB right now and it's a mixed bag. Most of you know I'm a huge fan of Garrett and that I own at least ten Silent Thunder holsters. This one fits the gun very well but I feel the design is sub-optimal, at least for my use + this gun. First off you can see in the pics how far down the front side of the holster is cut. That feature combined with the mounting height of the clip means that if I use any forward cant at all then nearly the entire body of the holster and gun is below the belt line. This results in the cylinder getting caught on my belt when I draw. This is a near-fatal flaw IMO. For now I've "solved" the issue by adjusting the clip to hold the holster for almost zero cant but that screws up the mechanics of my draw. I'm not sure what to do at this point. This is the second one I've got from Garrett; the first one wouldn't fit the gun (not enough room in the sight track, gun would only go 1/3 of the way into the holster). So I'm hesitant to ask to return it.

The second major issue I have is the size of the rig. As you can see in the pictures the IWB for my old 2" Ruger has the mounting clip right on the cylinder. The idea of the revolver IWB is to move the clip off to the side to avoid mounting the clip on the highest point of the body of the holster. And that makes sense. However, in reality the cylinder of an LCR is only and inch and a quarter thick to begin with so it's not a big issue. The downside to moving the clip to the side is that the holster becomes much wider. Despite the gun being pretty small the holster winds up being really big...actually wider than the holster for my full sized HK USP! I kind of feel like if I'm gonna deal with big holster bulk I might as well have a big gun in it, too.

At this point I'm not sure what to do about it. I can see now that I should have just went with the regular IWB like I had for the old gun.

I want to stress that the holster itself is great! The construction is great and the fit to the gun is perfect. And design-wise it would make a lot of sense for a gun with a larger cylinder (eg 686). It's more on me for ordering the "wrong" holster for my needs.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Sorry to hear this one isn't working for you. As you said, Garrett makes great holsters....I love carrying my P239 IWB.

Since you are such a good customer, I'd give them a call with your concerns and see what they say....they would at the very least appreciate the feedback.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

For Reference this is the Holster for my 686 looks like a slightly different design. I also got the wide clip option because of the gun's weight.

2014-05-24 12.19.38.jpg2014-05-24 12.19.51.jpg2014-05-24 12.20.02.jpg2014-05-24 12.20.18.jpgGarrett Industries.jpg
    Phaedrus likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1313 View Post
    For Reference this is the Holster for my 686 looks like a slightly different design. I also got the wide clip option because of the gun's weight.

2014-05-24 12.19.38.jpg2014-05-24 12.19.51.jpg2014-05-24 12.20.02.jpg2014-05-24 12.20.18.jpgGarrett Industries.jpg
    Yeah, that looks like the regular IWB. That's a great rig! I should probably just get that one.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    Sorry to hear this one isn't working for you. As you said, Garrett makes great holsters....I love carrying my P239 IWB.

Since you are such a good customer, I'd give them a call with your concerns and see what they say....they would at the very least appreciate the feedback.
    I did send them an e-mail with feedback but in the interim I think I've fixed it. I simply took the clip off and drilled new holes allowing it to ride higher. This does remove the ability to adjust the cant but realistically I only ever adjust the cant once, then I lock it down and leave it there permanently. This actually pretty much fixes all my issues. It's still bigger than it needs to be but it's comfortable and now I can draw easily from it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links