Holster for Kimber Warrior

This is a discussion on Holster for Kimber Warrior within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum and I am excited to be here. I just got my first 1911 yesterday and ...

Thread: Holster for Kimber Warrior

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum and I am excited to be here. I just got my first 1911 yesterday and I am looking for a holster for concealed carry. The pistol is a kimber warrior and it has a built in light rail incase you did not know. Who makes a holster for this and what is the preferred way to carry a full size 1911?

Thanks,
    Dan

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

The preferred way of carrying a 1911, like I think most guns carried concealed, is just behind your strong side's hip in the 3:30 to 5:00 o'clock positions (if you are right-handed) and 9:30 to 7:00 o'clock positions (if you are left-handed).

The type of holster is totally dependant on your mode of dress and comfort level.

Ostensibly, an in-the-waistband (IWB) holster is more concealable that an out-of-the waistband (OWB) holster since the IWB conceals the body of the holster and gun inside of your pants. You can pretty much have a jacket or untucked shirt ride up the edge of your pants and your gun still be concealed. The OWB requires a shirt or jacket cover the holstered gun and not ride up at all lest your gun is visible for all to see.

The problem with IWB holsters is that you need to ensure your pants are at least a size (two is better) bigger than the pants you currently wear...if not, carrying a gun using that mode can get very uncomfortable.

There are other modes of carry (shoulder, in a "man bag" and/or fanny pack, and deep concealed like a Smart Carry holster) and in alternate places on the body like pistol butt forward and opposite your strongside (crossdraw), but the IWB and OWB holsters behind the hip are the most common.

There are lots (and lots) of holstermakers here on this forum...so you sir are definitely in luck!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I was thinking about carrying it IWB small of the back. What do you think about this type of carry. Thanks.

I carry my Desert Warrior in an HF1 by Tucker Gunleather. It's excellent for OWB carry. Below are a couple of pics.

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Personally, I'm not big on SOB carry for two reasons: if you bend at the hip, the gun butt sticks out pretty prominently....I've personally seen that happen more than once with people who chose that method of carry. That disadvantage is nullified somewhat if you bend (to pick something up) from the knees.

The second issue I dislike about that mode is carry is that I worry about taking a fall square on my back with the gun placed in that spot. A hard object like a gun might injure you (your spine) all that easier if you land hard.

....however there might be others here on this site with other opinions and might think its the best way of carrying for them....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Ok thanks. One off topic question I have is does anyone here have problems with the use of hollow points in their 1911?

Lead Moderator
    Agree with Srfl . IWB works well, SOB prints badly when bending and is uncomfortable when sitting. As for HP's , some 1911's seem to need a break in period before they work well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_MAN View Post
    Ok thanks. One off topic question I have is does anyone here have problems with the use of hollow points in their 1911?
    It depends on the gun. Many older pistols were built to function with FMJ ammo at a time when hollow points weren't commonly available.

Your Kimber Warrior should have absolutely no problems digesting any of the currently available HP loads.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Yep I just got back from the range and it ate anything I put in it and I am amazed at the accuracy of this gun. I love it!!!!!!

I have a Kimber Pro Raptor that doesn't get much carry time - but when it does leave the house - it goes in this Mitch Rosen Premiere

I bought this for $150 and its nice, but for $90 less I would recommend one of K & D Holsters - like the "Laredo Defender" (snap on/off) or one of his IWB.
    you might also check out the VM2 by Milt Sparks - excellent IWB

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_MAN View Post
    Yep I just got back from the range and it ate anything I put in it and I am amazed at the accuracy of this gun. I love it!!!!!!
    I carry my Warrior regularly. Fine pistol.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

hk man , OWB OR IWB strong side 3:30 prob works best for 1911 carry.

kevin i'm with you as for K&D's work and have my second rig on order .

rodc that however is a sweet looking Sunday-go-to-meetin rig , how could anyone even be concerned about man-with-gun when you show up sporting that Tucker .

elance

VIP Member
    I prefer UBG Holsters. Nate does great work and has great prices. I carry at about 4:00 although I believe IWB appendix to be a great idea if you can get used to it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by elance View Post
    that however is a sweet looking Sunday-go-to-meetin rig , how could anyone even be concerned about man-with-gun when you show up sporting that Tucker .

elance
    Tucker does beautiful as well as supremely functional work, as do the other fine craftsmen here. We're really fortunate to have so many excellent options for top quality, custom holsters. What works for one will not necessarily work for another. When you take on the responsibility of carrying a firearm for personal defense, it's so important to choose gear that supports you in being as safe and effective as you can be.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Hold On There Partner...

SOB is not all that bad. I'm wearing my Glock-36 in a FIST SOB right now. Riding in the car...sitting on the couch, sitting at the computer...I kind of forget it's there...very comfortable...

It's up to the individual! Now I don't carry SOB a lot, but I'm perfectly OK with it as the wardrobe or situation might require!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links