Deep cover holsters

This is a discussion on Deep cover holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a few questions regarding some deep cover carry methods for my P3at and PM9. I have performed a search and I have read ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep cover holsters

Deep cover holsters

I have a few questions regarding some deep cover carry methods for my P3at and PM9. I have performed a search and I have read all answers. I still have a few unanswered questions.

I own a Smartcarry and I do like it, but I find it is not the most comfortable with my G26, and the grip does print a little. Not much, but some.

I have thought of the Comp-Tac Centerline neck holster, but I rejected it. I allows the barrel to drift and point in unsafe directions (like when I am carrying one of my children), and if I lay down, it flops around. Not acceptable.

I am still considering some type of undershirt holster, but I am confused. The Kramer Confidant looks nice (soft material, ambi-holster, v-neck and sleeveless), but I hear it doesn't wear well and allows sweat and moisture to coat the firearm. Also, I hear it loosens up and sags easily.

I have seen photos of the A Better Holster concept, but it looks like it would be too tight, it's not v-neck and sleeveless, and it looks like the grip would print more easily.

I have heard rave reviews of something called the UC Comfort, but it's web address will not work. Don't know if they are still in business.

IWB is not an option, even tuckable shows at work. I actually tried using an ace bandage to hold my P3at under my armpit. It was surprisingly comfortable and faster to access than my FIST tuckable.

Any comments on the above, or suggestions for something else would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Moonshot

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    I've tried the Kramer shirt, not for me but some like them. I haven't tried any of the others. The ace bandage thing your talking about works like a belly band. That's what I use when I need deep concealment. Most commercial makers make a version of it. I use it for a S&W 442. Your P3AT would disappear in one easily.

Deep Concealment = Bad Idea

Concealed is OK, but if you have to pull up a 'string' to get the gun, you're going to be in big trouble when big trouble comes calling...

Stick with IWB's

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Deep Concealment = Bad Idea

Concealed is OK, but if you have to pull up a 'string' to get the gun, you're going to be in big trouble when big trouble comes calling...

Stick with IWB's
    I agree.

I think the more hoops you have to jump through to get access to your weapon, the worse off you are. You're losing your advantage.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    retsupt99.....your wrong. Deep Concealment is NOT a bad idea. I use it daily and have for a number of years and well over half my 20+ year career.

Deep concealment has a place and it is very easy. I love IWB holsters BUT they are not always practical. I guess you've never had to work in a business casual environment where having your shirt untucked is not acceptable.

Moonshot I started a thread the other day that list the new websites for UC Comfort. If you do a search on previous post you find where I have talked about the different types of t-shirt holsters and the positives and negatives of each of the different makers shirts.

I say again, deep concealment has its place, most typically in a business environment where untucked is not acceptable. That said, if I can wear my shirt untucked I do and use a IWB holster, but I will challenge most any on this site to a shoot and I'm willing to put money that I'd beat most in timed events while using my UC Comfort and my shirts designed for deep concealment.

Ok back to my cage.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member
    Each tactical scenario has its own demands and has an appropriate response. If you have limitations you must mitigate for them. Up one notch on alertness and practice, practice, practice just like you will have to fight.

And no, Steve, I will NOT go head to head with you on a timed event. I get laughed at enough as it is!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Pocket carry is an ideal choice for your P3AT. Smart carry would work for both. Tuckable IWB would be next best in Appendix carry
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have really only tried the Smartcarry and own one for the Taurus PT-111. I use it on occasion and I find it to be adequate for the purpose.

All in all, any deep concealment holster is going to be hard or slow to draw from so i still stick to strong side, OWB holster when ever I can.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

kpw
    It's not preferred but there are times when it's the only way. Most people I know that carry are not allowed by company policy. It's deep concealment or the unemployment line. There are other times as well.

fed - do you have the fake button and velcro holding the shirt together for a few buttons (to increase your speed)? Do you have to rip the buttons off or some other movement to get to your gun.

Every time you talk about the UC Comfort, I get a step closer to buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    I guess you've never had to work in a business casual environment where having your shirt untucked is not acceptable.
    I do. I carry IWB and with a tucked shirt. There are some excellent choices of IWB holsters that are made for this very purpose.

kpw
    I like the idea of a tuckable but unless it is appendix carry, I don't know how you conceal the bulge or keep from printing. If your using a jacket to cover, I'd think the belly band would be a lot faster to get to. I can't do either IWB. My job is too physical...no shirt and tie. Even appendix carry would be painful after a couple hours. I guess it's bellyband, pocket with a mini or ankle for me. I'm going to have to check out the UC Comfort.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    If ya try wearing an IWB holster in my arena with a shirt tucked in, you'd get made and would headline CNN for atleast half a day, likely costing you your job. I know folks have tried it and they found out real quick that its not real effective for concealing.

The least used rig is a tuckable, but Thunderwear is used effectivly by some but my body style it looks like I'm John Holms and it just causes attention.

sojourner.....I dont use velcro, I take Size 2 snaps and by cutting off the button, I sew the button to the outside of the shirt, with the male end of the snap behind it and the female end of the snap where the button was sewn. That is how my shirts are set up for work. I do occasionally just wear a shirt with standard buttons and yes it is pretty easy to rip buttons.

kpw....some use a belly band and they work but I have found for me that the UC Comfort just works real well for me and is the most comfortable and easiest to get to when in slacks and a dress shirt (I rarely wear a tie unless I'm in a full suit and even then the ties are modified by my wife to have velcro in the back to prevent getting choked.

I repeat....a T-shirt holster is designed for a very specific arena. If a person does not need to be in a business casual attire and is worried about being made, then it fits the bill, I have used it for years and not been made once, not even by a presidential secret service detail and the looks on their faces once the see the system is priceless.

When I'm off I almost immediatly switch to my IWB holster because it is a little faster, but with practice the UC Comfort is by no means slow, but it does take practice.

Back to my cage.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

A bellyband is another option for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links