Are all 1911 holsters the same dimensions?

This is a discussion on Are all 1911 holsters the same dimensions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there are generic 1911 holsters out there, but I was wondering if there are meaningful dimensional differences between different brands of 1911 (Springfield, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know there are generic 1911 holsters out there, but I was wondering if there are meaningful dimensional differences between different brands of 1911 (Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Taurus, S&W etc....) Are all the slides the same width and radiused the same? Are different safeties or trigger guards something that are considered when making a holster? Is a traditional 1911 the same as some of the radically dehorned/rounded 1911s?

To be specific, I'm wondering about getting a custom leather holster for a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. Is there such a thing as a holster for this specific gun, or will any commander sized 1911 fit perfectly? The bottom line is, I don't want approximately the right holster, I want exactly the right holster.

I already have a Del Fatti OWB and a Sparks VMII for other pistols, and they are a perfect fit. Any suggestions for the Dan Wesson CBOB?

Has this question already been answered on another thread that I couldn't find?
    "Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." -- Winston Churchill

1911s without a rail are of similar size and they should fit in holsters made for 1911s. If I had a Del Fatti OWB holster I could go to my grave a happy man. Regards, Richard

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I have one holster made for my 5" 1911 and another made for my 4" 1911. Both made by the same maker.

I think your Dan Wesson will fit in most any 1911 holster of appropriate length. The only 1911s I'm aware of different enough in specs to effect holster fit are the Springfield's. They are thicker and more squared off thru the dust-cover, so may be a tighter fit in a standard 1911 holster. When a customer orders a 1911 holster, I ask if it is a Springfield, and if so I use a Springfield to mold the holster. I know Lou Alessi does this also.
    I will also ask a customer what type of rear sight their 1911 has, and if it has a single-side or ambi-safety. An adjustable rear sight like a Bo-Mar that extends further forward of the dovetail can effect the fit in some holsters where the leather comes up high on the slide, and the same can hold true for an ambi-safety.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

All 1911's are supposed to be made to approximately the same specifications so they will be about the same size. What you have to consider most when buying a holster is the length of the pistol. The Standard size is 5", the Commander 4.25 inch and the Officers size 3". There are also some that are of different sizes than the ones I listed. Be sure to contact your holstersmith and discuss your needs with him. Take heed to Mark Garrity's comments, he is one of the premier holster smiths.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    To be specific, I'm wondering about getting a custom leather holster for a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. Is there such a thing as a holster for this specific gun, or will any commander sized 1911 fit perfectly? The bottom line is, I don't want approximately the right holster, I want exactly the right holster.

....... Any suggestions for the Dan Wesson CBOB?
    I have a DW CBOB, and several other Commander size 1911s, and all of them fit the same holster (Brommeland MCV). Be careful that the holster is made for a slide with a 4-1/4 " barrel and not just a 4" barrel. The smaller length pistol will fit the larger of course.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

OD*
    They are thicker and more squared off thru the dust-cover,
    They changed from the metric receiver circa 2003, any later Springer's should have the Colt style contours on the recoil spring channel and front strap.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD,
    Thanks; wasn't aware of that. Something else to keep in mind.
    I think the gun manufactuerers do things like this just to make life interesting for holster-makers!
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Administrator
    I think the Commander length is absolutely ideal for the 1911...I'm guessing that if J. M. Browning could do it all over again...the original slabsides would have been designed w/ a Commander length slide and barrel.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    OD,
    Thanks; wasn't aware of that. Something else to keep in mind.
    I think the gun manufactuerers do things like this just to make life interesting for holster-makers!
    You're welcome sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Mine...

All fit...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks very much for the information guys. Now I just have to decide on the style of holster. Hmmm....
    "Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." -- Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Another good thing, leather is very forgiving. If the fit isn't exactly perfect, for example the Springfields mentioned above, the leather should stretch to fit by simply using the stretching methods recommended by any maker.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    I cant add anything to this thread....on occasion, I get an STI or other 1911 request that has some differences....square trigger guard or other non std doohickey....but for the most part they are close enough.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    Another good thing, leather is very forgiving. If the fit isn't exactly perfect, for example the Springfields mentioned above, the leather should stretch to fit by simply using the stretching methods recommended by any maker.
    I carry a Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm, and it is a little thicker than my other 1911s. Leather holsters are not a problem but Kydex will not give enough with out a little work. I picked up a Comp-tac C-T.A.C. and had to take a hair dryer to it but works good now. I talked to J.B. at Comp-Tac and he was very helpful and told me how to make it work.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon

10mm is a grown up 40 cal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links