OOPS! Faux Pas - Page 2

OOPS! Faux Pas

This is a discussion on OOPS! Faux Pas within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Anymouse Bumper, I don't know what you carry, so my comments may not apply to your case at all, but for myself, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OOPS! Faux Pas

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Anymouse
    Bumper,

I don't know what you carry, so my comments may not apply to your case at all, but for myself, I try to program myself NOT to attempt to catch a dropped knife or gun. Every gun I carry is perfectly safe if dropped, but most of them have potential for discharge if caught wrong. I have enough guns and grips that if something gets broken, I'll get over it, but an uncontrolled AD can obviously be disastrous.

Being married, however, I can definitely feel your concern for the floor!

Anymouse
    I carry a 1911 cocked and locked so really didn't have to worry too much about an accidental discharge.

Seriously, I was worried about the floor as I said and my beloved 1911 (actually so beloved I sold it this past weekend) but I figure it would probably be more likely to discharge if it was allowed to hit the floor than if I were to catch it. If it hit the floor and discharged I would not have the time to anticipate the direction it was going to fire and get out of the way. I would probably come more near throwing myself on it like a grenade to keep the wife and kids from possibly getting hit rather than watching it go all the way to the floor. Soooo, I think I will attempt to catch it and avoid a certain broken floor, a mad wife, a beat up gun and possibly a gapping hole from a .45. But, that may be just me....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

In your case, it makes sense, Bumper - I suspect the previous poster though was referencing a few incidents with Glocks etc where an officer dropped a gun and reflexively tried to catch it, finger goes in trigger guard, boom, dead person.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    In your case, it makes sense, Bumper - I suspect the previous poster though was referencing a few incidents with Glocks etc where an officer dropped a gun and reflexively tried to catch it, finger goes in trigger guard, boom, dead person.
    Yup, another good reason to carry a 1911
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

While it's bad to have an incident like that in front of your peers, I couldn't imagine the looks you'd get in certain public places on a busy afternoon. I've had near-drops with firearms, but nothing that was a holster's fault, and never in public. Still, your post got me thinking, maybe it's a good time to look at a new shoulder holster with an additional retention device. Thanks for sharing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links