M&P 45 Holster Recommendations

This is a discussion on M&P 45 Holster Recommendations within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, there are lots of holster manufacturers out there.... That said, I have a "mid-size" M&P 45 - SKU 109307 - that means that it ...

Thread: M&P 45 Holster Recommendations

M&P 45 Holster Recommendations

Wow, there are lots of holster manufacturers out there.... That said, I have a "mid-size" M&P 45 - SKU 109307 - that means that it has the barrel/slide assembly of a compact M&P 45, but it's on a full-size frame. My guess is that any holster I buy should be for an M&P 45 compact.

I'm looking for a belt holster, outside the waistband with a bit of a forward cant - I'll likely wear it somewhere in the 3:00-5:00 position. I'd prefer leather.

I've read that people don't like thumb breaks - but as this is for open/under-jacket carry, I'd really like to ensure that it's secure, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on thumb-breaks or other retention methods.... I understand that a good holster should securely hold the firearm anyway.

Initially, I was looking at the Desantis thumb break holster.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

VIP Member
    Check out the leather Dave Spaulding holster by FIST.
    CC45cCD.jpgDraw45Chip.jpg
    Mine's in kydex, but FIST makes many both ways.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

If I was getting a retention holster, I'd go with a Safariland ALS.
    Model 6377 ALS® Concealment Belt Loop Holster - The Safariland Group

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    Open carry w/ no cover garment, a retention device may make you feel better. I don't honestly know if it's necessary. The "thumb strap" would work as well as most retention devices unless you feel the need to copy LE gear. I seldom completely open carry in public so I have no idea what is absolutely necessary to do so. Many OWB holsters to have at least a minimal amount of cant built into them. I have yet to find a OWB holster that will draw comfortably when worn from 3 to 5 in each location. For me, 5 requires more cant than 3 does.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links