Appendix Carry Questions

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry Questions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for some answers on appendix carry from those that can successfully do it. I really like the idea of appendix carry, but as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry Questions

Appendix Carry Questions

I'm looking for some answers on appendix carry from those that can successfully do it. I really like the idea of appendix carry, but as of yet have been unable to make it work comfortably.

Have any of you successfully carried an almost full sized handgun in this carry style? By successfully carried, I mean can you sit in a chair without wanting to disarm because it's uncomfortable. If so, how do you do it?

Have any of you mastered a fast way to draw your handgun while sitting in this carry position? I'm referring more to a IWB holster of some kind in an appendix carry, not the smart carry here. If it's possible of course.

Any help would be appreciated.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well..as a maker I can answer some of your question..but not having carried EXTENSIVELY that way, there will be others who will know more than me.
    Id say a medium sized gun is the biggest Id try to carry that way. Gun positioning is also a major consideration. You dont want it to high riding or when you sit, your belt will just try and force it into your body. Most people who carry this way prefer most of the holster/gun below the belt line that way it actually follows the body when sitting or rests along your leg. Thats where gun size fits into it...you cant accomplish this with too large of a gun.
    So...use the smallest gun you can use effectively
    Carry it vertically and get a holster that is as low as you dare go and not compromise comfort and accessibility to the gun should you need it.
    Thats about all I can add.........
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I carry that way using an Uncle Mikes # 15 holster and a Taurus P111 Mil. Pro 9mm and most of the time it works out great. I'm six ft. 200 hundred pounds and the gun dose not print while wearing a tee shirt that is not tucked in and blue jean shorts.

I find That a Kahr PM9 or a 2" J-Frame work best for "Appendix" carry.

My Brother carried his J-Frame "Snubbie" off-duty for years that way. It's very concealable and accessible. The downside is, you can't carry a bigger gun that way.

I like "Appendix" when I have a bigger gun on my left hip. It gives me something that my right hand, and in a SHTF scenario, my left hand can reach.

Biker

I use a Bianchi Pro 100 Size 10A, for my PT145. It's an IWB with excellent leather workmanship and about $40. Very comfortable sitting, standing and walking. Check it out here...
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...TxtModelID=100
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

So, from what I'm gathering so far, a 4" 1911 is probably out of the question. I have a .357 snubbie that I carry sometimes, but I prefer the 1911.

I guess it's just not possible to go with the bigger gun and not be in pain. Although, I suppose maybe someone out there has a way of doing it, so I won't give up on it just yet!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

So, from what I'm gathering so far, a 4" 1911 is probably out of the question. I have a .357 snubbie that I carry sometimes, but I prefer the 1911.
    Not necessarily! I carry a S&W 1911Sc (4-1/4" barrel) appendix carry in a FIST #1 clip holster and it works quite well for me. FYI I am 6'3" and weigh 270 and find it to be quite comfortable.

This is the combination and it works quite well as an appendix carry for me.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

The late Bruce Nelson designed the original Summer Special IWB before licensing it to Milt Sparks to make and long before others started copying it. Bruce was an undercover narcotics officer, and designed the Summer Special to be worn in appendix carry position with a full-size 1911. The original design was a single loop that was slightly oversized for the belt, to allow the holster to be shifted and repositioned at an angle while seated. Below is a page from Bruce's original catalog illustrating appendix carry while seated in an auto:

I sell alot of my Changeling IWB holsters to guys who appendix carry, and there are a few trainers who are advocating this carry position, but try as i might I do not find it as comfortable or concealable for me as strong-side hip IWB; and I design holsters.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

The holster on the left is one I made for my P11 for Appendix Carry. It works great but need to loose the gut a little and it will work perfect.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

That's another good point about appendix carry. It only works if you've got a flat stomach. If your gut hangs over your jeans even a little bit, it will push the grip of the gun out away from your body.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Hi Mark,

I just learned something about Appendix Carry. Thank you. I always thought it was for "smaller" guns like the J-Frame and I never even tried it with a 1911. Maybe it's just because I grew up seeing the smaller guns carried this way and the "bigger" ones going behind the hip.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    That's another good point about appendix carry. It only works if you've got a flat stomach. If your gut hangs over your jeans even a little bit, it will push the grip of the gun out away from your body.
    I resemble that remark! Seriously though, I agree with your other post as well, it's just not as comfortable or concealable (to me) as strongside hip carry in the 3:30 - 4:00 position.
    Jack

Thanks to everyone for the tips and information. I've got some ideas and I'm going to try and make this work.

No Appendix Carry For Me...

I'm sure many out there can do this one (Appendix Carry), but I am so used to IWB at 3:30 that nothing else seems 'right' any more...I also don't like to step on sidewalk cracks...is there something wrong with me?

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well I'll just have to agree to disagree on the flat stomach for carry,

I have carried every thing from my 3 1/2" 27 to the 1911 in appendix carry, but slightly just in front so to speak, {I'm left handed"

I prefer the butt to ride over the top of the front pant pocket with the barrel angled down to the jewels. I don't use a full handed draw as some seem to think is needed,

I use the pinch grip that was taught to me by the old timers, and have never had a problem with it.

For me I have found that leather works , worlds better than kydex.

And Mark's "Changeling" seems to be the answer in that department, may just have to have one some day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links