Question for Others who Carry IWB

This is a discussion on Question for Others who Carry IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For others who carry IWB do you carry your extra Mag pouch OWB or IWB? Which mag holder do you use. I feel since I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    me [OP]

For others who carry IWB do you carry your extra Mag pouch OWB or IWB? Which mag holder do you use. I feel since I am carrying an IWB holster I should be carrying a mag pouch the same way, is this correct?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    For others who carry IWB do you carry your extra Mag pouch OWB or IWB? Which mag holder do you use. I feel since I am carrying an IWB holster I should be carrying a mag pouch the same way, is this correct?
    i carry my mags OWB they look like a knife sheath and its not that much of an attention getter as far as i can tell
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I carry IWB and my mags are OWB. They don't hang down below the belt anyway, and if seen they could be a knife pouch or cellphone.

me [OP]
    are your pouches open or closed that they looklike knife cases?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

One extra mag for my Kimber Ultra...

Usually in an OWB leather mag holder...sometimes just a loose mag in the weak side pocket...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

are your pouches open or closed that they looklike knife cases?

i use open top mag pouches.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I generally carry pistols IWB. Extra mags are carried generally OWB.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I have built in Mag pouches inside my vest, I also have OWB pouch with flap that looks like leatherman tool pouch.

Until last week I carried a Glock 19 IWB with an OWB Mag Holder that sat horizontally and held one magazine. It was made by Safariland and designed for Off-Duty or "Plain-Clothes use.

It worked well, but I've gone back to carrying a blued steel wheelgun, so I pack moon clips in my pocket now. The other pocket has a 442 in it or a Kahr PM9. If my PM9 is in my pocket my 442 is on my ankle.

I hope the info on the mag holder helps. It sort've looked like a LeatherMan holder that was horizontal instead of vertical.

Biker

My mag is carried OWB, it is MUCH more comfortable that way.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I have a knife sheath that mounts horizontal on my belt that I use or if I'm wearing cargo pants or shorts I just throw a mag in one of the pockets.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Most folks find an IWB mag pouch uncomfortable, which is why alot of makers don't offer them. It may seem odd, but the reality is that with a pistol carried IWB the belt pressure is distributed across the entire width of the gun/holster. With a magazine IWB, the belt pressure is concentrated on pressing the one inch width of magazine into your side. And an IWB mag pouch is not much more concealable. Most OWB mag pouches only extend 1/2 inch or less below the belt-line, so even with a very short-waisted cover garment concealment is not an issue. Plus, with an IWB mag, there is a question of accessability. The mag must seat deep enough inside the pants to have enough below the belt line to keep it from feeling like it is going to pop up and tumble over the waistband. Seated deep enough to prevent this may not leave enough mag above the waistband to be as accessible as OWB.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Mark nailed it, it's more uncomfortable than you can imagine. I bought one several years ago just to check it out. I wore it one time and after the first time I sat down with it on, I threw it in the holster box and didn't look at it again until I included it in a holster sale. Stick with OWB mag pouches or pocket carry them if ya' gotta, you'll be much happier.
    Jack

me [OP]
    Do most of you carry one spare or 2? I am not sure I would see a need to carry 2 spares (this would be for 15 round M&P 40 mag) and now that I am reading this it seems that everyone who sees a mag pouch that is a single would think knife instead.
    Mark

-James Earl Jones

Do most of you carry one spare or 2? I am not sure I would see a need to carry 2 spares (this would be for 15 round M&P 40 mag) and now that I am reading this it seems that everyone who sees a mag pouch that is a single would think knife instead.
    I carry two spares. My guess it a lot of the people carrying more than one spare have a weapon with a relatively small ammo capacity to begin with (like a 1911). If I was carrying a large capacity 9mm or .40, there wouldn't be as much need to carry the second spare mag. But since I prefer making bigger holes, 2 spare mags it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links