business ccw?

business ccw?

This is a discussion on business ccw? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys ! New here and i need to get some opinions. I'm new to ccw but not new to firearms. I'm looking for a ...

Thread: business ccw?

business ccw?

Hi guys ! New here and i need to get some opinions. I'm new to ccw but not new to firearms. I'm looking for a rig that i can wear daily that isn't so visable. I wear dress pants to work and carry a bersa 380. A S.O.B seems to be the best but is still visable with a dress shirt and no jacket. I'm not all for ankle rigs. Also belly bands don't seem like real options. Any help will be great.

I use a tuckable holster while working. I usually wear just a shirt & tie, and carry a Beretta 92fs. It is a rather large gun to conceal, but as long as my shirt has a nice loose fit, it doesn't print bad at all with the tuckable. You Bersa should do just fine. Your other option, altough a little more inconvenient, is a pocket holster.

My Sig P232 is almost exactly the same size as your Bersa, and there are days when I carry that in my pocket. It's a little big to truely carry well that way, but it does work with certain pants and on certain occaisions.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Sounds like a smart carry is in order http://www.smartcarry.com/ or you can check out the UC comfort shirt holster: http://undercovercomfort.com/UCCHolsters.html

They also have dress shirts designed with snap buttons for quick access: http://undercovercomfort.com/DressShirts.html

I am sure there will be more options that others will post but these are the two that came to mind from your description.

Welcome aboard too!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Greetings tapout......sounds like you spend some time in a cage? (Careful I'll unleash my 11yo to throw ya in a Kimura, LOL).

I work in an environment that requires business casual and deep concealment. Over the past number of years I have gone to using a t-shirt type holster and the best that I have found after all these years is the UC Comfort.

I suggest that you do a search of threads for UC Comfort and you will find a number of post that I have made concerning the value of this type of system in a business environment, evaluations of the various types of rigs available and even photographs.

Good luck and if I can be of any assistance, just let me know.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Thanks for all the help guys. Fed : Yea i took up MMA when i was in my teens and it seems like the real joy I get from it now is working with my GF's 12yr old son. He's really small for his age and people have tried to take advantage of that in the past. But he's getting there and loves to "roll". Submissions are his thing since nobody before me ever took the time to even teach him a proper punch. Maybe I'm weird but I can remember my dad taking time to teach me things when i was very small.
    I'll check out the sites listed and do some product testing on my own. Again, thanks all.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have to dress in tucked dress shirts with dress pants. I would recommend you NOT go with any kind of tuckable holster. I've tried one and think even sheep notice clips on your belt that don't have anything attached other than what's in your pants. In some environments people accept/expect a knife clip but those look very different than holster clips. and if you get a holster with only one clip that looks like a knife clip, what do you say when someone asks to see your knife?

In my very humble opinion, concealed means concealed and that includes the holster. Now for an LEO that has to be discreet, no problem but for the rest of us, if this is how you have to dress (i.e., without a cover garment most of the time) then I'd recommend:

1. Smartcarry + a small thin weapon such as a Rohrbaugh 9mm or keltec P3AT or even a J frame; I've carried this way and it's pretty nice with my keltec but the cylinder buldge was uncomfortable to me and my wife noticed it thinking I needed to, umm,...adjust my clothing , but I'm 5' 7" and slender build.

2. True pocket carry with a small thin gun (again revolver cylinders are bulky). Now if I'm wearing very casual loose fitting dockers, then the J frame is doable but it's just not too comfortable all the day long and it looks like you have a big hunk of something in your pocket. The small autos like the Keltec or R9 work nicely

3. The concealment undershirt Fed mentioned also with a small flat gun such as a Kahr P9 or the ones I've mentioned.

I've tried a lot of different options as I'm always in tucked shirts and almost never have on a cover garment unless i'm preaching and then I do have a suit coat on but hate to keep it on after services.

So for me my KelTec P3AT is the go to gun even though I'd rather carry something larger. I've considered getting an R9 for this very reason but at $1000.00 it's a hard stretch, still it's a TRUE pocket gun that could work well with a SmartCarry or the pocket holster.

Hope this helps. I know a lot of guys can carry a full size 1911 in their pocket or they have a lifestyle where they always can wear an untucked shirt, but for those of us who've chosen lifestyles requiring tucked busness casual or dress it's almost impossible to conceal full size weapons.

Anyway, good luck finding what works for you!

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Gideon I agree with almost everything you said and its good advice. However I will differ with you on one thing. You mention that in a t-shirt holster that I mention you'd only recommend a thin auto. I cant disagree more. I have packed everything from a tiny j-frame all the way up to a Desert Eagle with ease. Infact I find that a large weapon is actually easier to get to then a small weapon, and I am short in the trunk (all legs on this 5'09" body).

Other than that I think you gave great advice.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    When dressed for work, or on hot days (and Vegas gets HOT), I use pocket carry. I carry my Glock 26 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. Works very well. Eventually I'll get the Kahr in 45, which is a little sm,aller, to step up in firepower. Or, I may just get a Glock in
    45, since it has a higher capacity. But pocket carry works very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    When dressed for work, or on hot days (and Vegas gets HOT), I use pocket carry. I carry my Glock 26 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.
    +1 on Glock 26 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I had to alter the holster slightly to be able to grasp the grip fully.

I have tried a couple of different holster ideas and nothing really worked or was comfortable for me. In the end I bought pants that would accomodate the Glock 26 in the front pocket and found other places for the stuff that used to be there. It's really easy to slip your hand in your pocket without drawing attention to yourself if there is a questionable character in your path.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I can't believe you guys are comfortable with a G26 in your pocket. Mine just seems way too thick to carry in my pocket. Maybe my pants are too tight? I do pocket carry my Kel-Tec P3AT no problem, though. I'm another one of the business casual guys...
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

I too have to wear dress pants and a tucked in shirt. Although I don't carry at work I have carried while similarly dressed. I would suggest a shoulder holster for a larger gun but since you have a .380 I will make a different suggestion.

Do a search for Kangaroo Holster. It is sort of like a belly band, but more like a shoulder rig. They make two different styles, one for real small guns and one for a little larger guns and it also has a pocket on the other side for magazine, speed strip, money or whatever.

I wear mostly Polo type shirts so this next part wouldn't work for me, but if you wear button downs it will. If you wear a tie, leave two buttons undone so that you can reach inside to retreive your gun (if you are right handed, if you are left it would be hard unless you wore a girl's shirt).

If no tie, go to walmart and get a package of snaps. Remove two buttons from your dress shirt and sew them back on over the holes. Then sew the snaps where the buttons used to be. Then you will be able to reach in quickly without damaging your shirt or getting hung up.

There is a good write up and review of the Kangaroo online. I forget who did it but he looks like a biker. Long beard, with the ends braided.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

http://www.gunblast.com/Kangaroo.htm

Here is a link to the review.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

Tuckables

I agree with Fed's and Gideon's advice except to add that there is another option with the tuckable holsters. I've got a Tucker Answer for a Govt model .45 that has one v-clip in the rear and a home made clip on the front. I bent a strip of Kydex to fit my belt, took a cell phone carrier, and attatched it to said clip, and replaced the standard clip on the front of my Answer. I also have a tuckable mag carrier with the v-clip attachment. This works great for me in buissines casual environements. The phone also helps to hide the bulge that the holster makes, which hides printing even more.

God Bless
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Links